• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I have an announcement to make

Hey guys you know what we need to do? A group purchase of PG! Sounds like a lot of us are having trouble finding the stuff...and since the lox-tox antifreeze is not a feasible solution (Phil the reason why I was using it is that it is 97% PG---problem is it also has corrosion inhibitors in it that may taint your cigars).

If someone finds a good, reliable, local source why not just buy a gallon of the stuff and sell off pints?

The only thing is that I am starting to lean towards a lower humidity that 70% if possible. I'm thinking 65% Climaxx beads might not be a bad idea.

No joke, three years ago my company paid thousands to discard over 10,000 gallons of this stuff. A local college was using the stuff (PG) for thermal storage at their chilled water plant. Seems Propylene Glycol is considered hazardous in certain quantities. Too bad I didn't know how much people would pay for this stuff. I could be retired by now!

Is there a problem ordering it from the link I put up earlier in this thread?

yea, ordering it online isn't too bad. it's like 10 bucks. max.

and lumberg, tell us when you're gonna send us a cigar that has been in the antifreeze humidor before :D :sign:

ah screw it, i'd smoke anything.

fllbrent said:
No joke, three years ago my company paid thousands to discard over 10,000 gallons of this stuff. A local college was using the stuff (PG) for thermal storage at their chilled water plant. Seems Propylene Glycol is considered hazardous in certain quantities. Too bad I didn't know how much people would pay for this stuff. I could be retired by now!
Hey brent if you look at the link alof us put up there is a link in there for the forumaltion that is used in chilling. That formulation has corrosion inhibitors in it. That would present the same problems as the automotive variety.

PassThis said:
Where do you buy PG at? The people at walmart had no idea what I was talking about. And no, I didn't say "Where's the PG". I used the full name. ;) Propylglecerol?
[snapback]57602[/snapback]​

I had problems trying to buy ammonia at Wal-Mart.

One pound bag of Viper's 65% Beads - $28.95
One 'tupperware' bowl to hold them - $3.00
Distilled water by the gallon at any supermarket - $0.89

....cheap, easy maintenance forever and always finding the RH where you want it to be....priceless.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Edited to correct "Vendor dyslexia" - B.B.S.

coventrycat86 said:
Vern is not selling beads anymore. The Climmax site no longer exists.
[snapback]228662[/snapback]​
Whoops....early AM slip. You are of course right. I meant Viper...... :whistling:

B.B.S.

coventrycat86 said:
Vern is not selling beads anymore. The Climmax site no longer exists.
[snapback]228662[/snapback]​

I am not surprised one bit. His customer service was terrible. You never had any idea of when, or if, he would get back to you.

Viper has a great site, service, and quality item...

ALostTexan

I bought a gallon of PG a while ago and split it up into 12oz bottles. I gave away most of them, but I think I still have a few left. If anybody wants one, shoot me a PM and we'll work a trade for cigars. I have a couple of bucks in each of the bottles and it will probably cost me a couple of bucks to send them.....I'll throw in a couple of cigars for a total value somewhere around $20. Once you get it, you can send me $20 worth of choice pickin's from your favorite humidor and we'll call it even. How's that sound?

If anybody wants to do a split, you could easily share a bottle between two people. I didn't add any water to the PG, so once you get the bottle, you will have to add 12 oz distilled water to make your 50/50 solution. You don't need very much for soaking your oasis sponge (you'll have 24 oz of 50/50 solution) and after you soak the sponge the first time, you just replace the distilled water. (you don't keep adding PG or 50/50 solution). You really won't use the 50/50 again until you replace the sponge or get another humidor.

If you live someplace dry, it works great. I live in Central Florida and switched to 65% beads to keep my cigars a little dryer.

The 50/50 solution kept my humidor at 68% steady. I never added water and only twice had to dry the beads. (it's humid here....).

First come, first served...

Cheers,
Joe

Oh, great. Thanks for topping this you a-holes. Now I have to go change my shorts.

:laugh: :sign: