• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I inherited a cool pipe!

Shibumi

Looking for Effortless Perfection
For a few weeks now my Father has been looking for a pipe he said my cousin gave him after he quit smoking. My cousin has since past away. So when my Father found out I took up the pipe, he told me about it. I hadn't really thought about it and a few days ago he found it. I picked it from him sunday and cleaned it up. There was lots of cake, so I reamed it and cleaned the oxidized mouthpiece. It still needs more work, but it was in pretty good condition.

I did some research and found out it's a Marxman hand carved briar, from the 50's. They were a drug store brand that sold for $5 at the time. Based out of NY and are now out of business. I think Mastercraft bought them out. If anyone has some more info, let me know? I'm probably going to fire it up tonight for my first smoke.

So here are a few pics of it and an old advert I found...

gallery_1871_761_70532.jpg

gallery_1871_761_62581.jpg

2marx3.jpg

That's pretty cool! I've seen lots of Marxman pipes, but never one that was a carved figure. It's even better that it has some family connection.

I hope it smokes great for you.

That is great! Interested to hear how it smokes!

A few years back (probably about 23 years or so now) my grandmother was having her house re-sided. When the guys were taking the original wood siding off, one of them found an old clay pipe laying in between the beams. It appeared as if the builder of the house had put it down and forgot about it and it was sealed up for 80 years. It was the house she grew up in and today it is probably over 100 years old. She still has it at the house. I'm not sure I'm daring enough to try to smoke it, but maybe I will someday.

Ummmm......I don't want to make you nervous, but the sculpted Marxman's are quite rare and highly collectible. Don't have access to my old P&T's at the moment, or I'd dig out the issue that had an article on them.
Enjoy it, but don't put it in your hip pocked and sit down on it, whatever you do.!! :thumbs:

That is great! Interested to hear how it smokes!

A few years back (probably about 23 years or so now) my grandmother was having her house re-sided. When the guys were taking the original wood siding off, one of them found an old clay pipe laying in between the beams. It appeared as if the builder of the house had put it down and forgot about it and it was sealed up for 80 years. It was the house she grew up in and today it is probably over 100 years old. She still has it at the house. I'm not sure I'm daring enough to try to smoke it, but maybe I will someday.

Clay pipes are considered the best way to truly taste a tobacco blend, since they impart nothing to the flavor of the smoke. And a thorough cleaning involves nothing more complicated than laying it in thecoals at the edge of a fire.

No time to smoke tonight, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Ummmm......I don't want to make you nervous, but the sculpted Marxman's are quite rare and highly collectible. Don't have access to my old P&T's at the moment, or I'd dig out the issue that had an article on them.
Enjoy it, but don't put it in your hip pocked and sit down on it, whatever you do.!! :thumbs:

In my craze to find out anything I could, I also read something about it being rare. I also saw one on eBay yesterday with 1 bid for $2. I didn't check it yet today. Thanks for the heads up, I should go to antiques road show and find out.

I love the fact that it was a relatives pipe. Both my grandfathers smoked pipes & cigars. I only wish I had some of their stuff. I'm sure this will give me many enjoyable bowls. I already love the way it looks.

So today I smoked a bowl of Penzance in the pipe. It burned great. The only draw back was the upper bowl gets really hot. Once it got to the halfway poi t all
Was ok though The smoke was cool and no gurgling at all.