• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"I joked about every prominent man of my time...

MiamiCubano

El Martillo (My Boxing Name)
...but I never met a man I didn't like..."

November 4 - not only is this Election day here in the United States, but on this day, in 1879, Will Rogers was born. His life was far more filled and colorful than can be captured herein , but he is perhaps most widely known for his political wit and punditry of politicians of all affiliations. Will Rogers was born in Indian Territory (Oklahoma) and saw it transformed into a US State. After the 10th grade, Will Rogers dropped out of school to become a cowboy in a cattle drive. He always regretted that he didn't finish school, but he made sure that he never stopped learning--reading, thinking and talking to smart people. He became a performer in wild west shows, an accomplished trick roper (once holding a world record for lasso-throwing: he would throw three at once - one rope caught the running horse's neck, the other would hoop around the rider and the third swooped up under the horse to loop all four legs), he was a vaudeville actor, star of the Ziegfeld Follies, a national syndicated newspaper columnist (writing more than 4,000 columns), the world's premier radio commentator, star of seventy-one motion pictures, an advisor of presidents and a kindly critic of Congress. Will Rogers, in short, lived an incredible life.

His life was tragically cut short at the age of 55. In 1935, he planned a vacation with aviator Wiley Post, flying to Alaska with some stops along the way. Will had already flown all over the world as a reporter, visiting London, Manchuria, Java, Egypt, South America, Japan, Moscow and destinations all over America. Their ill-fated flight to Alaska, however, crashed near Point Barrow, Alaska, taking both of their lives. Will's untimely death shocked and saddened the nation. Initially, Will was buried in Los Angeles. However, his wife Betty built a memorial in Claremore, Oklahoma, which was dedicated in 1938 by President Franklin Roosevelt. In 1944 Will's body and the body of his son Fred, who died at the age of two, were moved to rest there. Betty died that same year, and rests beside her husband and son.

The quote that began this thread was in fact Will's thoughts on his epitaph. In full, he said:

When I die, my epitaph or whatever you call those signs on gravestones is going to read: I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I didn't like. I am so proud of that I can hardly wait to die so it can be carved. And when you come to my grave you will find me sitting there, proudly reading it.

"Ancient Rome declined because it had a Senate; now what's going to happen to us with both a Senate and a House?"

"On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does. "

"Our constitution protects aliens, drunks and U.S. Senators. "

"The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best. "

..and one of my favorites:

"The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has. "

He was one of a kind! :thumbs:

The say that some of the Follies with Will and WC Fields were the best.

If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?
Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else.
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.
We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.

"I belong to no organized political party. I'm a Democrat."

Doc.

"The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has. "

He was one of a kind! :thumbs:

As someone who was in public accounting for awhile and also as someone who attempts to play golf, no more truer statement has ever been made.

slainte mr. rogers.

I never knew that about his son, what a tragedy and yet he remained bouyant and optimistic. If some of the so called pundits of our age could emulate his good nature even if just a little, I think the dark cloud hovering over the body politic would lighten. Happy birthday Mr. Rogers.