• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I just had a sick AF 858 Maddie...

BigFatDog

I just had an AF 858 Maduro that was about 3 years old and it was definitely sick. During its lifetime it was always stored and handled properly. It spent most of its life in my private locker at a well reputed shop. I've had several from the box with no complaints, but this one...

The cigar was acrid and tasted like an ammonia ridden dog rocket. It had no external signs of mildew or the like. It did have a little bloom. It was not wet or mushy. It lit well and was fine at the start but after the first few puffs it just went south fast. I was smoking it with a bottle of water. I had just had a ham sandwich from Neilsen's Deli. There was nothing out of the ordinary to dirty my palate. That only leaves the cigar. Have I found the wall for 858s? Is 3 years the "kept it too long" point for them? Or, did I just find the bad one in the box (I hope). I'm going to take a week or so off (no cigars). To give my palate a chance to rest. Then I will try another. Anyone else experience this?

Sorry to hear that. I have had a couple and both of them have been good! Gotta give it a second chance? ???

I just wanna know how you can keep a cigar like that for three years!!! I love anything by AF and the only thing that lasts past a couple of months are Anejos and Opus (special occasions).

I've read lots about ISOMs going through a sick period, but can't say I've heard of a NC experiencing the same thing.

I had a few fuente Chateau Fuentes that were like that, I have another box left and I haven't touched one since. I find Fuente products not to be as consistent people talk about.

I had a few fuente Chateau Fuentes that were like that, I have another box left and I haven't touched one since. I find Fuente products not to be as consistent people talk about.
I wholeheartedly agree. I find 20% of the Grand Reserva line to be unsmokeable. Usually a tight draw. If I have to burn calories to relax then I'm not relaxing. Their marketing tactics are also a source of irritation. There's no reason for the games one has to play to acquire their top cigars. I have no trouble getting any Padron cigar I want at MSRP or lower and I've never had a construction problem with them that would cause me to pitch it.
AF is on my shit list. They can KMA.

Doc.

I wholeheartedly agree. I find 20% of the Grand Reserva line to be unsmokeable. Usually a tight draw. If I have to burn calories to relax then I'm not relaxing. Their marketing tactics are also a source of irritation. There's no reason for the games one has to play to acquire their top cigars. I have no trouble getting any Padron cigar I want at MSRP or lower and I've never had a construction problem with them that would cause me to pitch it.
AF is on my shit list. They can KMA.

Doc.

Well, I have had one Padron that was plugged (was passed it from a friend who had the same opinion), but you're right. They're typically very consistent. I have yet to have a problem with the consitency of the AF line, but I do also agree about the difficulty in getting their top products. It's a bit frustrating for no reason.

I just wanna know how you can keep a cigar like that for three years!!!.

You buy in bulk! The 858 naturals have been one of my favorites since the early 80's. I age them for at least three years before I smoke them. Right now I have about 15 25-count and 3 50-count boxes in storage. I'm working on one of the 50-count one right now that has just over 4 years of age. :thumbs:

It's all about having patience.

A year or two ago, one of the sticks in the CFCF goodie bag was an 8-5-8 from like 1984. I personally haven't heard of anyone trying it, but I doubt that Carlito would hold on to them and give them away to his guests if they had stopped aging well 17 years earlier. You may have just had one bad stick. That's too bad too, after investing all of that time in it. Hope the next one is better.

I haven't really experienced many AF quality control issues over the years, but I am not a high quantity consumer.

I'm glad to have some feedback leading towards the positive. I did change toothpaste, so that may be the culprit.

As far as keeping an 858 three years goes... patience and keeping them in a spot that isn't too convenient.

I don't have much experience with Fuente but in the few that i've had there was one bad WOAM that had burn issues that bothered myself and Jabba. I've had an Anejo, Short Story and Opus that were all very good.

I've had a few more Padrons then Fuentes and I have to say that Padrons have been stellar for me. They're my favorite non-Cuban smoke.

I bought a box of 858 maddies back in February and they have been splendiferous!

It looks like I just had a bad stick. I've since had 3 from the box myself and a few were had by friends. The resounding response was positive. And now back to your regularly scheduled....