• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I know this sounds like Heresy but...

Lumberg

Opus Lover
I was smoking a Mayorga that I was enjoying very much....I was mayeb 2/3 of the way through and it went out and I said, f it, I'm lighting up a Short Story.

The SS tasted bland and had a tough draw, so I let it go out and finished the Mayorga instead.

I smoked the SS the next day. It was good when I smoked it by itself...but it makes me think, damn, I coulda bought a whole box of Mayorgas for the price I paid for 10 short stories!

It's not heresy at all but it makes perfect sense. It's always been said when you're planning to smoke multiple cigars you should smoke in order of mildest flavored to strongest flavored. The reason being if you smoke a full bodied, full flavored cigar such as an Opus X or ISOM first.... how could you fully appreciate the mild flavors of a cigar like a Macanudo?

I love Hemingway Short Stories but they're not a cigar that I would smoke following a Mayorga which is a well made and very flavorful Nicaraguan stick. The way I look at it... you enjoy both cigars and each one is made for a different time of the day or for your different moods. Now you know that a Short Story won't be enjoyable when following a Mayorga... nothing wrong with that. As an experiment... maybe you should try smoking a Short Story first then follow it with a Mayorga... I'd be interested to hear what your thought of it!

Enjoy your cigars Bro and remember... we all have different tastes, likes and dislikes when it comes to cigars. That's what makes cigar smoking a unique and fun experience.

Aloha,

Wade

Hey Bruddah Jonathan,

Are you gonna try that experiment and report back to us? I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts!

From my personal experience... I can tell you that I was at a herf years ago and a similar thing happened to me. I smoked an ISOM as my first cigar of the day then followed it with a Fuente Don Carlos. I could hardly taste the Don Carlos and couldn't enjoy another cigar for awhile. Only after I ate and had a few drinks could I taste and enjoy that Don Carlos but it did take awhile for my tastebuds to clear from that first cigar. I often times will smoke a Short Story or Signature as my first cigar at a herf and follow it shortly after with a Fuente Sungrown or ISOM it works well for me!

Aloha,

Wade

I don't have the exact same Mayorga to do it with. It was from a bomb....though there is another, larger and I think slightly darker Mayorga in my humi too.

Plus it is also very rare for me to smoke two sticks right after another.....so it's possible I will try it but not likely.

Though I tell you what....I am now smoking a Colinas PC (Costa Rican sungrown) soon after finishing a Short Story and I am enjoying it immensely!

GO MAYORGA!

okay, now that I have that out of the way.
A piece I got from Zino Davidoff's book, was that he said to wait a good 15 min. or so between smokes, mentioning they wouldn't taste as good otherwise and that you would enjoy them more.

:thumbs:

Excellent advise from Wade on mild to stronger chain smoking :D . I've made the same mistake a few times and it can truly ruin a great cigar.

As far as the Hemi natties go (especially SS) I'd have to say the whole line is overrated. Good but not great smoke. Maybe they are just too mild for me now that my tastes have matured but I have been unimpressed so far. I recently picked up a couple maddies that I will try soon.

So true about the milder cigars first. That being said I'd rather have the mayorga's myself. Have tried several different Hemingways and they just don't do it for me.