• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I know you're out there.

ormdh

From reading other threads, I see we have some home brew fans. I am always on the lookout for tried and true recipes to try. My tastes are darker beers, Porter and Stout being among the faves. Do any of you have recipes you would be willing to share? I brew extracts right now. I do have one partial mash I have been tinkering with.

LOL! You don't want my recipes! I just cooked up my first batch of extract based brew last weekend. It's now sitting quietly in the secondary fermenter.I'm an ale-head, but am learning to appreciate darker beers. I own part of the local brewery, but am very new to the actual process of brewing. Go fig. :)

im no help i use premade mixes would like to see your recipe tho :)-

The Brewmaster's Bible by Stephen Snyder is full of recipes. I found it to be a nice book to have.

I have a good book and another on loine resource.I find it hard however to tell if I want to try one without a real person on the other end to give a good description. I was just wanting to see if anyone had an absolute, knock your socks off recipe.

Here is a recipe I got from a poster on another cigar board. I have altered the original slightly. Give it a try and let me know how you like it. I call it, Reverend Jim's I.P.A.7 lbs. light malt extract
2 lbs. British 2 row Malt
.5 lb. Cara Pils Malt
.5 lb. British Medium Crystal Malt
1 cup brown sugar (add with extract)
1 pkg. Burton water salts
1 oz. Northern Brewers Hops (boiling)
1 oz. Northern Brewers Hops (flavoring)
.5 oz. Cascade Hops (finishing)
.5 oz. Cascade Hops (dry hop in secondary fermenter)
British Ale yeast
Prime with .75 cups corn sugarHeat grains in 2 gal. of water to 150 degrees F. and hold for 30 min. sparge to fermenter, add another gallon of water, water salts and bring to boil. Add extract and brown sugar, bring back to boil. Add hops at intervals shown below.
1 oz. No. Brewers full boil
1 oz. No. Brewers 30 min.
.5 oz Cascade At end of boil, turn off heat and let steep for 10 min. with lid on.Watch out for the boil over. The last time I did this one I burned my hand. Good luck(Edited by ormdh at 4:25 pm on April 13, 2001)

ormdh, let me go through my recipes over the weekend and I'll send you a few. I have thought about doing a mash but have pretty much stuck with extract brewing over the years.

ormdh, here are two for you:S.O.S. (Shadow's Oatmeal Stout)1 1/2 lb. Pale Malt
1 lb. Crystal Malt
1 1/2 lb. rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. amylase
1 1/2 gal. waterMix above ingredients and heat at 150 degrees F. for one hour. After the hour, add 1 tsp. Irish Moss, heat to 200 degrees for 5 minutes then strain into primary container. Then:2 1/2 gal. water
3 lb. light dry malt
4 lb. dark dry malt Boil 30 minutes, add1 1/2 oz. cascade hops, boil 30 minutes, add1 1/2 oz cascade hops
1 tsp Irish Moss Boil 20 minutes, then add another 1/2 oz. cascade hops, boil for 5 minutes and then cool for 5 minutes.Put 1/2 oz. of Cascade hops in your strainer, pour above mix through the strainer into your primary.Use Lager Yeast for your starter.
September Sweet Porter2 1/2 gal. water
7 lbs. Dark dry malt
1/2 lb. Chocolate Malt
2 oz. Chinook Hops (Boiling hops)
1/2 oz. Hallertauer Hops (Finishing)
Ale YeastThese are my two favorite receipes. Good Luck.

Those sound good Shadow. Thank you. I just kegged my IPA the other day. It is yummy. I need to start another brew though. That S.O.S. sounds like a good one.

where do you get the malts? ever make wine? i made some from scuppernons ( a yellow wild grape from georgia)and marigold pettals, makes a nice yellow wine.

I get most of my supplies from my local shop. He has beer and wine making supplies. You can also try this sight for some good info. http://brewery.org/brewery/index.html
I have a couple of batches of wine that a friend and I put together. They were some Thompson seedless and a red grape his father-in-law has growing at his house.

can't offer any help on ales or stouts, though I like em just fine. Tooth's Sheaf Stout is a lovely sip and big enough to stop at one..

usually. :)

BUT I've made mead that got rave reviews, and it's rather a primitive sort, with extras.

Honey & barley malt for the base, with organic yellow raisens and apple juice to boost the flavor and bring up the alcohol both.. double racked, (@ 7 + 14 days) and bottled at 21, top fermenting ale yeast, with champagne yeast added after the first racking.

Bottled in flip tops, aged 2-5 months (5 was optimum, it got drank!) ..

It's very very important that the raisens be UNSULPHERED ORGANIC (and yellow) because the normal sulpher treatment ruins the mead. The apple juice should be from ordinary soft apples, fresh & unfiltered, cloudy (almost milky looking) .. NOT green apples like pippins or granny smiths. not sharp & cidery, almost apple nectar, very sweet. fallen apples are preferred, if you can get em.

The proportions for a 5 gallon batch, made in a 7 gallon glass carboy, are: 5 gallons water, 5 quarts strong honey (orange blossem & native wildflower, NOT clover) 5 lbs yellow raisens, 5 quarts apple juice, 5 lbs UNHOPPED light malt syrup.

Add yeast (top fermenting ale yeast) and all ingredients. use cork/hose/bucket of water for 7 days after ferment begins, and then rack into fresh carboy. Add champagne yeast, allow ferment 7 days, rack, repeat. final rack into chilling bottle @ 22 days, chill @ 35 F for 12 hrs, bottle. Drinkable @ 8 weeks, best @ 5 months. Est. ABV 12 %, VERY STRONG, & not obviously.

Tasting notes: Warm & nutty, light brown and similar in appearance to a good english nut brown ale..

A surprisingly thick and oily head, for a finish on champagne yeast, though a good fine prickle on the tongue reveals it.

The head seems organic, 'natural' color, towards beige, with various sized bubbles..

The flavor of course sweeter than hopped brews, with a faint overlay of citrus and cider, and walnuts and raisens underneath. Complex, shifting tastes, with a long warm finish. The sort of thing you deliberately sip slowly.. and Still drink that 2nd one you hadn't meant to.

It's not cheap, fast, or easy to make, and I'll be more than happy to offer guidance for One Tiny Bottle. :)

Edit: uhm, that was a mistake. TWO tiny bottles. :whistling: