• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I need new golf grips.. any suggestions?

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
A couple of my grips are wearing pretty badly on my irons. My current irons (callaway hawk eye's) have the factory callaway (winn-grips), which as I understand are no longer being made, because of poor wet/rain performance. I don't play enough in wet conditions for it to matter to me- but either way I can't get the ones I want.

So now I need new grips- I see Winn (maybe the grip leader?) has lots of new types of grips... but one of the things I loved about the original winn's were how soft they are and how much vibration they absorb.

Any golfers out there? Which grip would you recomend?

OH and BTW: Please don't let the clubs fool you--- I'm a lousy golfer.. I've only broken 100 a few times, and that was when I was playing alot more than now. But at the time of purchase they came along at a great deal.

I am pretty much a hack myself, but have found that the softer grips feel like they twist in my hands whenever I hit one off-center. I like the corded grips, with an extra layer of tape inside to slightly thicken the grip. BTW, are you going to grip them yourself?

i love the winn grips. i havent shopped for them in awhile, so im not farmiliar with all of their lines. but when i re-grip this summer, i will spend the couple of extra bucks and go with the winn grips again.

In my experience:
a.) have the grips put on by your local golf shop, it is harder than it looks. as a DIY project, i wouldn't attempt it. Ususally they are ready the following day.

b.) corded grips seems to last longer and feel better in my hands anyway. i have smallhands, so i tend to like the feel of them with the standard amount of tape, if you have larger hands, tell them to put and extra wrap of tape for you.

I just got some new grips put on. They are made by Golfpride and say "new decade" and "multi compound" on the grip. They are corded on the top and like "tour velvet" on the bottom.

Everyone who is having clubs regripped this year is now using this grip. $7.00 each at the pro shop. Red and black color if that means anything to you (doesn't matter to me).

I have tried putting them on myself and have decided the pro shop is a better choice, for what it's worth. Not a particularly ugly job if you have the time, but the shop does it often and are pretty reasonable.

I always regrip my own clubs. It is incredibly easy... I can't imagine somebody having a hard time with this. Tape, grips and lighter fluid... done.

I didn't know Trojan made grips Sam. :p

I would go to your local shop and look through the grips and find a set that fits your hands, it's all about feel baby. As far as brands you cannot go wrong with winn or golfpride.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and replies. :)

I looked around online, and found that I couldn't save a penny buying online, and in alot of cases it was actually MORE EXPENSIVE to buy online vs at a retail B&M shop... surprisingly.

The winngrip.com site shows lots of great looking grips, but I was unable to find most of them locally- and without feeling them, that was not going to happen. Plus alot of the ones I did find locally (dick's sporting good in particular) only carried them for PUTTERS!? The sales guy was like: Try it you'll see if you like it. On a semi-square shaft? No way to tell if I truly liked it.

golfgar said:
I just got some new grips put on. They are made by Golfpride and say "new decade" and "multi compound" on the grip. They are corded on the top and like "tour velvet" on the bottom.

Available here GolfPride @ Golfsmith... these are by far some of the most expensive grips I've ever seen. My local Golfsmith didn't have them in stock to see and feel- but it didn't matter, since I was only doing 4 clubs, I wanted them to match as closely as possible... That would have been a good option if I were going to re-grip the entire set of irons... but like I said in my OP, I suck at golf so only 4 of my irons had wear since those were the 4 I use all the time (7-PW) :rolleyes:

ANYWAY: I decided to go with the all black XF all weather winn grip oversized. They felt much better to me since I have medium to large hands. The cost was OK, at $5.35 a grip and Golfsmith has a sale on install at 99¢ a grip until the 17'th of April (couple more days). For a buck a piece, I let them put them on :whistling: and honestly I'd never seen it done before, but it sure looks easy. Cut off, new tape, fluid and push'em on. The guy at Golfsmith did it for me while I waited and it took a whole 5 mins - maybe less. :thumbs:

These winn's match the feel of my other irons, except for the oversized part. The color is off, since the callaway grips are kinda blue'ish grey (gunmetal grey) and these are black- but Black matched better than Copper color (my other choice).

Another one they had, at about half the price, was Golfpride Tourwrap Softie I think it was... Made to look exactly like the winn's once installed, and honestly, they don't feel too bad... slightly different but alot more tacky (a plus), and maybe not as soft (probably a minus) but the guy said he liked'em better... at $2.15/ea (standard size) definately cheaper.... they had all black, black with a tan or copper wrap-tie look... all in the same price range (give or take a little bit).

Well... lets see if the bigger grips help my game? :sign:

BTW: if its underlined in this post- it's a link with pictures :whistling:

You guys think I should bite the bullet and regrip the other irons so they all have the same sized grip?

Again, it's about feel and consistancy. If your oversized grips are the right size for your hand, then I would recommend getting it done for all of your clubs. The main reason is that if the grips are too small, your hands are forced to "overgrip" (meaning your fingers will wrap around the grip and then start burying into the fleshy part of your palm). When you overgrip, you will get restricted wrist motion which can cause you to amplify your hook or slice, if you already have one.

Tom, did you have them measure your hands to make sure what size grips you should use? Golfsmith has this hand chart they have to determine if you need midsize or oversize or if you just need something in-between (ie: midsize with an extra layer of tape underneath).