• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I think there's something wrong with this DPG.

XxMerlinxX

I am a leaf on the wind...
So I just lit up a DPG Series JJ and it had the strangest flavor right off the bat. I can only liken it to cedar and... I don't know, lime sort of. The stick has what look like two or three spots where the wrapper flaked off, making me wonder if it got too dry at one point. The other strange thing is that there is no pepper to the flavor profile. From the few DPG cigars that I've had, he normally hits you with a good dose of pepper and then leads into something more complex. The only thing I'm getting right now is cedar and tobacco and it's really turning into a mild-medium cigar. This is the first Series JJ that I've had, so is this typical?

Ok, I had to put it down and light something else up. The flavor was not there at all, it just tasted old and musty. I lit up a Troya Perfecto I had, wanted something smaller since I've already been out here a while, and am now finishing that up. I'm probably just going to make this thread a small journal of what I smoke tonight, as I think I'm going to light up one more after this.

I ended up finishing with the Troya after all. Not a bad little smoke, just not very complex. Slight woody and almost nutty notes were found throughout, with a little bit of pepper in the middle, and ended up pretty much the same.

Lest you think you're the only one, the two DPG JJ Maduros I've had were borderline airballs. There was enough flavor that I couldn't call them flavorless, but that's about it...

I have found that to be true as well with the DPG's I have ordered through CI as well. If I get some now I let them sit for months before I think about smoking them.....

I've been of the opinion for quite some time that many of the cigars CI sells in the one day deals and the Woot-Offs are seconds. If not quote unquote "seconds", many at least have some quality issues..... maybe varied wrapper color in the same bundle/box, possible tobacco quality/blend problems or issues with the way the cigar is constructed(slightly uneven bunching, poorly applied wrapper, etc.) Don't get me wrong, most of the cigars I've purchased in these deals have been fine, but I have noticed some issues with a few. Rarely ever with the taste though, and none in which I have ever had to chuck a stick.

I've been of the opinion for quite some time that many of the cigars CI sells in the one day deals and the Woot-Offs are seconds. If not quote unquote "seconds", many at least have some quality issues..... maybe varied wrapper color in the same bundle/box, possible tobacco quality/blend problems or issues with the way the cigar is constructed(slightly uneven bunching, poorly applied wrapper, etc.) Don't get me wrong, most of the cigars I've purchased in these deals have been fine, but I have noticed some issues with a few. Rarely ever with the taste though, and none in which I have ever had to chuck a stick.

Oh wow, I've come close to making a few purchases off Joe Cigar (but decided at the last minute not to).

Has anyone else had any negative experiences with these cigars?

The Series JJ's are one of my favorite lines. They are mild to medium and do not have the normal DPG pepper profile. I've not had one like you've described though. It must have been a bad stick.

I've had two other sticks from the same sampler that were ok, so I guess like whopper said, this one was just a dud.

Oh wow, I've come close to making a few purchases off Joe Cigar (but decided at the last minute not to).

Has anyone else had any negative experiences with these cigars?

I wouldn't necessarily consider mine a negative experience per se..... just somewhat unexpected. But listen, to be able to get sticks that either a) I can't get at any B&M within 40 or 50 miles of me, or b) if I can, they cost easily double what they can be had for in these deals, this is really a no brainer. If you ever see a cigar come up that you've been wanting to try, you should jump all over it.

That's basically the same reason why I do the majority of my cigar shopping online, either I have to drive a ways to get some sort of variety or I have to pay out the nose for the small selection of local stuff. I do worry about getting the rejects and 2nds from cbid or joecigar, but I guess that just comes with the territory.

That really is weird, it doesn't sound like DPG at all, ha! Sorry for the let down man. All of the JJ maduro's I've had (by all I've really only had a few, I like the blue label the best) were all about medium to full and relatively peppery for sure. So yeah that just seems like an unlucky break. I'll my coworker if he has ever had issues ordering from CI because I think he has.

Back