• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I thought Cubans were

I recently learned that it's actually illegal for a US citizen to even PURCHASE a Cuban cigar, not just bring it back to the country. Meaning if you're overseas somewhere, it's technically illegal to buy a Cuban and smoke it there.
Add it to the already very long list of things American citizens do regularly that are illegal.

As of June, it's illegal to ship any tobacco products except cigars. How long to you think that one exception will last? UPS already prohibits shipping cigars but looks the other way. Enjoy what freedom you have because it's vanishing quickly.

Cuban cigars? Very soon it will just be cigars!

I recently learned that it's actually illegal for a US citizen to even PURCHASE a Cuban cigar, not just bring it back to the country. Meaning if you're overseas somewhere, it's technically illegal to buy a Cuban and smoke it there.
Add it to the already very long list of things American citizens do regularly that are illegal.

As of June, it's illegal to ship any tobacco products except cigars. How long to you think that one exception will last? UPS already prohibits shipping cigars but looks the other way. Enjoy what freedom you have because it's vanishing quickly.

I didn't know UPS prohibits cigar shipments. They must look the other way since a lot of on line vendors use them for shipments.

I can see a day when it's illegal to ship any tobacco of any kind. The taxes are a large cash cow that the government wants to milk. That and 3/4 of the adult population that don't use tobacco are all for it. Basicaly all these stupid laws do is encourage normally honest people to break the law.

As to Cuban cigars it isn't illegal for a non-US citizen to sell them to a US citizen, It's just illegal for US citizens to buy or posess them (or anything else Cuban for that matter).

I didn't know UPS prohibits cigar shipments. They must look the other way since a lot of on line vendors use them for shipments.

I can see a day when it's illegal to ship any tobacco of any kind. The taxes are a large cash cow that the government wants to milk. That and 3/4 of the adult population that don't use tobacco are all for it. Basicaly all these stupid laws do is encourage normally honest people to break the law.

As to Cuban cigars it isn't illegal for a non-US citizen to sell them to a US citizen, It's just illegal for US citizens to buy or posess them (or anything else Cuban for that matter).

Yep, they look the other way for large customers but try taking a shipment to your local UPS Store and tell them there are cigars in the box and see what happens. BTW, if you return cigars this way, tell them there are NO cigars in the box. They won't open it to verify. It's easier to order a pick-up anyway and the driver hasn't asked me yet.

I mentioned to Famous that they should not use the word "cigars" on the return shipping labels. But they sell other things besides cigars - like lighters, which is a whole other problem, of course. :)

Yep, they look the other way for large customers but try taking a shipment to your local UPS Store and tell them there are cigars in the box and see what happens. BTW, if you return cigars this way, tell them there are NO cigars in the box. They won't open it to verify. It's easier to order a pick-up anyway and the driver hasn't asked me yet.

I mentioned to Famous that they should not use the word "cigars" on the return shipping labels. But they sell other things besides cigars - like lighters, which is a whole other problem, of course. :)

A couple of years ago I was shipping cigars out through Fedex and the guy told me that it was illegal to ship cigars across state lines unless I was a licensed tobacco vendor. He told me that he didn't care what I was shipping and let me ship them anyway, but he just wanted me to know for future reference. I don't know the specific laws regarding cigars and shipping, so the guy may not have known what he was talking about, but that is what he told me.

BTW, if this truly is illegal then it was really a friend of mine who was shipping the cigars, not me. ;)

A couple of years ago I was shipping cigars out through Fedex and the guy told me that it was illegal to ship cigars across state lines unless I was a licensed tobacco vendor. He told me that he didn't care what I was shipping and let me ship them anyway, but he just wanted me to know for future reference. I don't know the specific laws regarding cigars and shipping, so the guy may not have known what he was talking about, but that is what he told me.

BTW, if this truly is illegal then it was really a friend of mine who was shipping the cigars, not me. ;)

Yes, it's ironic that it's legal to ship the cigars to us customers but illegal for us to ship them back! When returning cigars you just have to lie. Like when customs asks what kind of band-less cigars are in your luggage. ;)

I think this is correct, however, there's no real way of enforcing it, or at least it isn't really enforced. In any case most reputable cigar shops abroad aren't going to stop you from buying their product. And most touristy/street vendor cigar stores are probably selling counterfeits.

edit: spelling

Of course. I just find it funny.

I heard it is now illegal to toast spices on frypan, as the toxic fifth-hand smoke will cause you do die within the next century.

You have been warned!

[comment has been removed by the cyber-police]

I think this is correct, however, there's no real way of enforcing it, or at least it isn't really enforced. In any case most reputable cigar shops abroad aren't going to stop you from buying their product. And most touristy/street vendor cigar stores are probably selling counterfeits.

edit: spelling

Of course. I just find it funny.
Oh, it can be enforced. Why it isn't is open to debate. Do a search. The credit card companies have no problem releasing your info AND cetain countries will cooperate, too. Why it is done so seldom is the question.