• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I thought there were only 3 outs a Inning

Yes you can strike out for the third out and with the help of a passed ball or wild pitch end up wit a four+ out inning.

I didn't think this was that odd, anytime a runner touches homeplate before the third out occurs the run counts. The only issue was that ....had they appealed and touched third base the run would have been nullified but I don't see the "forth" out thing. Anything that happens after the third out is just continuation..... right?

Same thing with the strike out on the third out.....it's not an out until the catcher either catches the third strike or picks it up and throws the runner out at first.

What do I know................

The fourth out would be the appeal at third.
1 out already
1 on the line drive
1 on the double off at 2nd
1 on the appeal at third

1 out already
1 on the line drive
1 on the appeal at third

What am I missing? I don't see a forth out. If they appealed the run would be nullified and regardless of whether the appeal at third or the double off at second constituted the third out the inning was over after three outs....right?

Same if there are two out a man on first.....a line drive is hit to the first baseman who catches it and steps on first catching the runner off base. Yes there were four outs but only three counted.

1 out already
1 on the line drive
1 on the appeal at third

What am I missing? I don't see a forth out. If they appealed the run would be nullified and regardless of whether the appeal at third or the double off at second constituted the third out the inning was over after three outs....right?

Same if there are two out a man on first.....a line drive is hit to the first baseman who catches it and steps on first catching the runner off base. Yes there were four outs but only three counted.

well to nullify the run you have to appeal to third to call him out and by calling him out his run does not count
hence the 4 out. Because when they ask for the appeal they are going to touch third base, in this act of touching third base with the ball in hand they are trying to say he is out that run should not count.

maybe this will help. The ball was a line drive. Runners second and third took off. Pitcher catches ball. Thus requires the players on second and third to return back to base to "tag the base" before advancing. Though I didnt see the whole thing. I believe what happen was that the man on third base took off to home without returning back to third. BUT because the player on third arrived home before the tag, the runner scores. Even though if the runner went back to third the inning would of been over. It is just the appeal rule because the runner left early.

This happens all the time, when there is a pop up to right or left field and a man on third, if he leaves early and scores, the only way he would be called out is if the defense of team must appeal it. If they do not appeal it, the run stays on the board.

In a nut shell this is exactly what happen, it was just a matter that the run scored before the tag, thus would require an appeal to get the run off the board. Thus the 4 out inning.

On the score card, if the appeal would of been issued. it would score F1-4DP/AP5. Flyout "line drive" out one, throw to second out two double play. AP (Appeal) 5 "third base man would more than likly be the one appealing." (Catching the ball on the appeal). that is 3 outs, plus the one out already made prior to the play.

1 out already
1 on the line drive
1 on the appeal at third

This "4th out" would not be scored, and therefore would be irrelevant.

The previous "4th out" would have been scored, as an appeal, and therefore relevant to the completion of that particular inning even though in no circumstance would the hitting team continue to bat. It is still recorded as an out.

But what do I know, I have been rooting for the Royals since 1975. ???

1 out already
1 on the line drive
1 on the appeal at third

The previous "4th out" would have been scored, as an appeal, and therefore relevant to the completion of that particular inning even though in no circumstance would the hitting team continue to bat. It is still recorded as an out.

"If" they had appealed, wouldn't the official score book be corrected to show the third out as the bag-tag at third and the double off be removed from the official score book? In essence there were two different "third outs" wouldn't it just be a matter of selecting the appropriate third out and then....inning over?

Another example.....two out and men on 1st and 2nd.....a grounder hit to short and the runner going to third is called out for running out of the baseline (or interfering with the play) at roughly the same time as the batter is out at first. Which third out is scored in the book and which one is disregarded? Isn't it just a matter of what event is entered in to the score book?

But what do I know....I root for the Indians :D

1 out already
1 on the line drive
1 on the appeal at third

"If" they had appealed, wouldn't the official score book be corrected to show the third out as the bag-tag at third and the double off be removed from the official score book? In essence there were two different "third outs" wouldn't it just be a matter of selecting the appropriate third out and then....inning over?

Another example.....two out and men on 1st and 2nd.....a grounder hit to short and the runner going to third is called out for running out of the baseline (or interfering with the play) at roughly the same time as the batter is out at first. Which third out is scored in the book and which one is disregarded? Isn't it just a matter of what event is entered in to the score book?

But what do I know....I root for the Indians :D

In this case since there are two outs the third base umpire would wait for the call at first. If out, then inning over and no other ruling needs to be made. If safe, then he would call the interference and the third out would be recorded that way.

As for the phantom "fourth out", technically it doesn't exist. The appeal is only made to nullify the run scored but since that appeal traditionaly means the runner is out it is called a fourth out. The mistake was made by the fielder that made the out at second. He tried to tag the runner, thus giving the third base runner time to score. Had he simply ran to the second base bag and touched it, the force out would have ended the inning and the run would not have counted regardless of the timing.

And since I root for the Dodgers.........I guess I'm the only one who knows what he"s talking about..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: