• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I took the plunge...

cpprhead59

We are the music makers...we are the dreamers of d
Since I have been here I have seen countless posts saying "get a bigger humi", and being the stubborn Irishman that I am, I never listened. I joined in April 2008 and bought a 20 ct box...filled it....bought a 150 ct box...filled it...bought a big tupperwear container...filled it.

So now I am heeding the advice of the FOG's and others here and bought this:

Wally World Cooler

I liked this one b/c of the ones I looked at in the stores both with and without wheels, the ones with the wheels seems to stand up a little easier on their own, which is what I would like to do with this one.

It is supposed to be here just before Christmas which gives me time to pick up some empty boxes, about 1.5lbs of beads, wireless digital hygro and some Oust fans.

I would like to put some shelves in and maybe some thin cedar on the sides so someday I can get rid of the boxes for singles storage and get a few trays.

Unreal....what this "hobby" is turning into..but damn its fun.

Im about to start on my second 120qt. cooler, after having filled the first and a 150ct. humi.

It's more than fun. :)

I thought for sure this was a Staebell thread, hehe.

Congrats though :)

coolers are without question the best storage for the buck there is. One suggestion I'd have is to NOT line the cooler with wood. It will only take up storage space and make "coolerdor tetris" more complicated due to the decrease in valuable storage room. When I ran coolers, I found nice cedal SLB's at the local B&M's and those are what my singles lived in. They are just as convenient as a tray and stack a whole lot better.

Slippery slope to be sure. After four coolers were full and I was looking at #5 I gave up last year and had Bob Staebell build me a cabinet. Frankly, it doesn't maintain humidity any better but it sure is pretty and I get to keep it in my office, not hidden in the closet of the spare bedroom where my cooler(s) were relegated.... :laugh:

Have fun - B.B.S.

I started with a 100 ct desktop and quickly filled that up. After reading all the posts of get bigger then you need I went and called Staebell in Texas, since it's big there, and ordered an Aristocrat. Couldn't be any happier, and I already have that 1/2 filled.

It's not a slippery slope, it's a freakin cliff!

I started here with an 150 count desktop and in 4 months I've moved on to a cabinet that's 3/4 full!

jayro75 Posted Yesterday, 09:47 PM
It's not a slippery slope, it's a freakin cliff!

I started here with an 150 count desktop and in 4 months I've moved on to a cabinet that's 3/4 full!

A cliff indeed. I started with a 20 count, and just ordered a 100 count. I have my sticks in ziploc bags at the moment. Cigars = legal crack

LOL I am in the same boat I started with a 100ct Humi then added an Old Cigar Jar humidor for the 30's that was grandpa's then I added a 200ct Humi and well they are all at the brim now fun fun fun dam! rp

Have fun...

After a 150 ct I got a 48 qt cooler...Now I have a Vinotemp plus the other two full....This place is life...

Until you build a walk in (or your friends/family have an intervention), I would say you have your habit under control. At least that's what I tell myself. :p

Keep it up and you will have a bunch of coolers in the basement like Wilkey. :laugh: Terry believe me brother it's not a bad thing, just enjoy and have fun.

I do love the post that Wilkey made that had all of his coolers stacked high. IF, I ever get to that point, I have already thought about where I can put them in my house ... :blush:

Coolers are without question the best storage for the buck there is. One suggestion I'd have is to NOT line the cooler with wood. It will only take up storage space and make "coolerdor tetris" more complicated due to the decrease in valuable storage room.

X2 - not really any need for the cedar lining besides looking cool. Save the space for more cigars, you'll eventually need it. :laugh:

The slope is definitely a slick one, especially at the beginning. I've been strong willed enough to resist the urge to upgrade to a huge cooler, but right now my 150 count desktop & 25qt cooler are sufficient - packed to the brim, but sufficient. :thumbs:

Yeah I think I'm gonna make the same pluge for Christmas for myself. When I fill that thing up I dont know what I'll do. I can't emagine having that many cigars.

I started with a 50ct, then a 150ct, then bought a 300 and a second 300. My wife's 100 ct. and two small antique pieces and finally built a room around them. It's only bad when my wife looks in the cabinet I use for the overflow boxes.

Let's face it. you can go crazy, but what a way to go.

HAHA The Vortex has spoken :whistling: You tell yourself "I better not buy any more cigars or I'll be outta room" Then the Vortex whispers in your ear "Coolidor" and then you buy more cigars and a cooler which now must be filled. :laugh:

Good job on the cooler, it was only a matter of time. Also, if you need some empty boxes please let me know by PM.

Needing a larger humi is definitely a good problem to have

I know I cannot wait for it to get here.

Only problem is...I order a bunch of beads from Heartfelt with the idea of "mixing" RH levels to arrive at a level of around 67%-ish. In reading over the Humidor Forum last night here looking up something else, I notice that it is not a good idea to do so?!?!?!?!? I never thought to look before I ordered.....lesson learned.

So now I have 1lb of 65* beads and 1/2lb of 70* beads coming via mail to go with the 65* (2oz) beads I already have in one Humi and the 1/2 lb of 70* I already have in a desktop.

I WAS thinking of putting both humi's I currently have into the coming coolidor as they are, and then putting boxes into the coolidor along with the new beads that are coming in around the filled humi's.

If I have 2 humi's closed and operating at different RH levels within a coolidor that is at an RH level, what happens? Do the humi's inside the coolidor change to the level of the cooler?

I am doing this b/c I keep my smokes in the basement and it tends to get dry down there for periods of time. I am always charging my beads it seems and I need more space anyway. My guess is due to the furnace/heater being down there as well. My smokes are on the other side of the room the heater/furance.

Any ideas/insight is always welcomes. I know I am anal about the RH levels but it is just how I am.
Thanks