• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Iced Coffee Junkie

CasaSoho

New Englander at Heart
A little background... a typical late spring/summer/early fall workday for me involves an iced coffee. Being a New Englander, I pass 5 Dunkin' Donuts on my way to work every morning in my 15 minute commute. Usually I get a medium, sometimes a large, but always black with extra sugar (offensive amount). I like the taste of coffee and find that even the slightest amount of cream completely masks the coffee goodness.

The reason I bring this to the board is in search of advice from fellow iced coffee lovers. Don't know how Mr. Jerry feels about icing his coffee, but I'm sure he can help. I'm tired of paying for my fix every day, economically speaking; brewing my own should be cheaper. Also, I would like to explore different beans much the way I try new cigars. I have a 3-cup coffee maker and a can a Folgers at home, both of no use to me (reserved for in-law visits). So I am starting from scratch. Alas, the question. I'm looking for recommendations on coffee makers, grinders, beans, and iced coffee brewing methods. I read to use double the amount of beans when brewing iced coffee to compensate for the melting of the ice, is this true?

Also FYI, I don't like hot coffee with the exception of the sugary, foamy Starbucks stuff and a cappuccino after dinner at a good steakhouse. The budget is limited so don’t recommend this... http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/pip.cfm...0&cmsrc=sch

Sorry for the wordy post, thanks for any help you can provide a fellow chilled bean lover. :thumbs:

I highly reccomend buying your own roaster and green beans. While the initial reaction may be skepticism, the results are beyond compare(no offense to Jerry) but I am sure he will agree. That being said it can be a bit onerous keeping up with the roasting, and what I usually do is to supplement my roasts with a good high quality bag(here is where Killer beans may be helpful). That way when you run out and do not have timne to roast you still have good beans. The difference I find between store bought, specialty ,and home roasted is best summed up thinking of it as bread
Store= Wonder bread, consistent but boring and tasteless
Specialty= Bakery delivered bread, fresh and falvorful, but not that out of the oven crunch warm goodness.
Home roast- Insanely flavorful, very freshy, albeit somewhat inconsistent since the roaster (mainly ourselves and equipment are less than professional) but then again that is the fun part.

The link below is where I shop and can rerccomend but I am in no way affiliated. Good Luck!

http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/

Good advice on home roasting your own. Easier than you might think.

As far as melting ice, I make a tray of coffee ice cubes to use.

Deals can be had at Amazon or Ebay or you can try HERE with free shipping.

Sweet Marias is a good sight for all roasting needs.
Coffee Bean Corral is also good ( call them and ask for Ted, he'll answer any questions you may have.

Or, you can just wait for Mr. Jerry to stroll in. A wealth of information.

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think I have time or upfront money to roast my own beans though. It does sound like a fun hobby, just not ready for it yet.

Coffee cubes, interesting. I'll have to give that a try. As soon as I buy a grinder, coffee maker, and some beans that is.

I just started drinking iced coffee and find that I like it quite a bit. I have a Capresso coffee maker and use a wide variety of gourmet beans. I like to try all kinds of coffees. I even have my own Grindmaster 875 to grind my beans. But I am excessive at everything that I do :laugh: .

I just started drinking iced coffee and find that I like it quite a bit. I have a Capresso coffee maker and use a wide variety of gourmet beans. I like to try all kinds of coffees. I even have my own Grindmaster 875 to grind my beans. But I am excessive at everything that I do :laugh: .

Congrats on the maker, I hope there are better deals to be had on them than can be found at Will-Sonoma. Along with the Grindmaster and the wide variety of beans, you must have an entire room dedicated to coffee. :0

I love Iced Coffee and Mr.Jerry's coffee is perfect for iced coffee.
I grind my beans super fine and use more when brewing for iced coffee.
I also make simple syrup,(equal parts water and sugar simmered to a nice consistancy like syrup when cooled),this ends the dreaded sugar granuals sitting on the bottom and sweetens the coffee equally throughout the mug.
I always use half and half or light cream.

I let my coffee cool,simple syrup cool,and I mix in the cream and add simple syrup when makeing a large glass.I use ice cubes on my big Yankee cup so makeing the coffee strong helps with melting ice makeing my brew watery.

I hate dunking donuts coffee but love there iced coffee,it doesnt taste like there fake coffee and they,well some stores,use simple syrup if you ask for it.

My problem is I drink more coffee this way and am caffiene sensitive so I usually od on caffiene,for me,thats easy.So my remedy is,if I am going to be drinking a few large glasses while cutting lawn or doing yard work I mix half decaf...or more,to regular coffee.

Sounds like were on the same page, except for the cream. I was thinking simple syrup as well. Have you found any of Mr.Jerry's blends more apt to work as an iced coffee?

edit: Keep in mind I also love the DD iced coffee.

I love Iced Coffee and Mr.Jerry's coffee is perfect for iced coffee.
I grind my beans super fine and use more when brewing for iced coffee.
I also make simple syrup,(equal parts water and sugar simmered to a nice consistancy like syrup when cooled),this ends the dreaded sugar granuals sitting on the bottom and sweetens the coffee equally throughout the mug.
I always use half and half or light cream.

I let my coffee cool,simple syrup cool,and I mix in the cream and add simple syrup when makeing a large glass.I use ice cubes on my big Yankee cup so makeing the coffee strong helps with melting ice makeing my brew watery.

I hate dunking donuts coffee but love there iced coffee,it doesnt taste like there fake coffee and they,well some stores,use simple syrup if you ask for it.

My problem is I drink more coffee this way and am caffiene sensitive so I usually od on caffiene,for me,thats easy.So my remedy is,if I am going to be drinking a few large glasses while cutting lawn or doing yard work I mix half decaf...or more,to regular coffee.

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think I have time or upfront money to roast my own beans though. It does sound like a fun hobby, just not ready for it yet.

Coffee cubes, interesting. I'll have to give that a try. As soon as I buy a grinder, coffee maker, and some beans that is.

Fair enough, but if you drink more than a cup or two a day in the long run you will end up savinga ton of money roating, grinding and brewing your own. If you use the "latte factor"(money spent at Starbucks/Dunkin' Donuts,etc) at $3-4/dailyx5daysx52weeks=$900-1000 anually (conservatively)

Take even a third of that, meaning you delete 1-2 purchases/drive-ins a week and still stop in in 2-3 times, and you will still have between $300-400 to purchase a roaster, a grinder, and a maker, with a ton left over to buy fresh beans!!

If you call Ted as suggested and speak to him I will guarantee he will through you together a sweet deal.

Fair enough, but if you drink more than a cup or two a day in the long run you will end up savinga ton of money roating, grinding and brewing your own. If you use the "latte factor"(money spent at Starbucks/Dunkin' Donuts,etc) at $3-4/dailyx5daysx52weeks=$900-1000 anually (conservatively)

Take even a third of that, meaning you delete 1-2 purchases/drive-ins a week and still stop in in 2-3 times, and you will still have between $300-400 to purchase a roaster, a grinder, and a maker, with a ton left over to buy fresh beans!!

If you call Ted as suggested and speak to him I will guarantee he will through you together a sweet deal.

Would you mind calling my wife and explaining it to her? :sign:

I might have better luck starting slow, getting her hooked, and then suggesting we roast beans together as a hobby.

edit: 200th post, where's my damn 4th bar?

Would you mind calling my wife and explaining it to her? :sign:

NP bro NP....lol Listen if you start roasting (outside the house btw since it really stinks and smokes something fierce), and start waking up early and bringing her freshly roated coffee in bed you will never hera a peep outta her about the money you spent I assure you.... ;) Just gotta use your head man... :laugh:

Sounds like were on the same page, except for the cream. I was thinking simple syrup as well. Have you found any of Mr.Jerry's blends more apt to work as an iced coffee?

edit: Keep in mind I also love the DD iced coffee.

All Killer Beans coffee will work since they are all dark roasted and more apt to show through all the flavors better.
I prefer the higher acidity ones though it doesn't make a difference.Nicaraguan Knifefight I believe is higher acididty content.I dunno why but it seems to work better in iced coffee if the coffee is higher in acidity.I normally do not like high acid coffee due to stomache problems,as for the cream,it seems to balance it out nicely.I only use a little cream,couple teaspoons/cup.

I drink iced coffee everyday throughout the summer! I make ice with a pot of coffee, so it doesn't get watered down. I use 3 - 4 trays that I make on Sunday and it lasts the week. I have my wife perculate coffee, IMO that as good as it gets! As far as beans, I am not particular, D&D has good taste for me!

Make a pot of Nicaraguan Knifefight. Add some nondairy creamer and Splenda to taste.

Pour into plastic bottle and freeze.