• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If you like German beer... 56K death!

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Reaction score
Try to find some "Keller Bier"

Taken from Bier Advocate http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/131/

Beer Styles - Keller Bier

Description:
A rather old, rare, and unique German beer style, Kellerbiers are unfiltered and unpasteurized lagers that date back to at least the Middle Ages. The beer is matured, unbunged (beer is exposed), in deep vaults. The final product is a smooth, naturally cloudy beer that's rich in vitamins (from the yeast). Hop bitterness can be high and alcohol will vary.

Average alcohol by volume (abv) range: 4.0-7.0%

I personally love keller bier in the fall, It has a very complex taste to it and leaves you feeling content and lazy. The beer is a beautiful dark red amber color with wisps of cloudyness through it from not being filtered.

Some of the brands to look out for are:

St. GeorgenBräu - Buttenheim

flaschekeller.jpg

A very good Keller Bier, not too strong, good for beginners to unfiltered beer.

Mönchshof - Kulmbach

moe_gastroausstattung.jpg

(sorry about the large pic but it shows the details well)

My personal favorite, notice the special shaped mugs in both pictures? This is also a tradition for Keller beer. And the pitcher is for going down into the Keller (Keller = Basement in German) to dip into the beer and bring it to the table. Its awesome to go to a Gasthaus with a good friend and be served two cold Kellers and have the barmaid place one of these pitchers in the middle of the table so you can refill your glass at your own leisure.

Well I hope all the beer lover here get to try one of my favorite types of beer very soon.

Prost!

P.S. If anyone is ever headed over to Germany, let me know in advance, I can probably recommend a few good places to visit or to go and have a few cold ones in whatever area you decide to visit :)

Never tried this one but Mönchshof Schwarzbier is one of my favorite beers to drink in the cooler months. I'll have to look at my local store for this one.

Thanks!

Every bier I had in Germany was cold.

bursty said:
I need to start trying some good German beers. Arent most supposed to be drank warm?
[snapback]239180[/snapback]​

Only if the fridge is broken.

I know people who drink warmed beer in winter... I usually go throw a 6 in the snow :p

I really really REALLY dislike warm beer.

I think the myth that Germans drink warm beer comes from the days after WW2 when most people over here couldn't afford refridgeration, Back then they would place the beer in the basement, so the beer would still be "cool" but nowhere close to the cold beer the American servicemen were used to back home in the U.S. But now its very rare to find any bar or gasthaus that doesn't serve it's beer cold.

I think the English drink warm beer, but that's only because they have Lucas Electric making the refridgeration equiptment. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: