• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If you really and Truly love your dog!

Seavita

So I have been struggling with my dog, Scarlett, to get her to eat, she is super picky and meal time always seemed like a struggle even if I added gravy or wet food which is a pain in the *&%^ and messy. I’ve spent some time on board and threads and spoken to some friends trying to figure out how to fix the problem. One suggestion that I kept getting was to rotate her food. In addition to giving Scarlett variety to help to get her to eat it sounded like a great idea health wise, imagine yourself eating the same exact food everyday......especially kibble. You're gonna develop some nutrient deficiencies. I also found out that a lot of the dog allergies are caused by eating the same thing day in and day out. Basically the dog develops an allergy to one of the ingredients in a food because it’s the dogs way of saying stop eating the same thing you dummy.

I tried rotating Scarlett’s food with different super premium brands or the same flavors in one brand, (I tried all of Wellness’s flavors), and she ate a little better but I kept having to transition her between the foods and she was getting some “digestive upset” (not fun in the city where its the law to clean-up after a 75lb dog)... lol, when I changed her food over.

I was recently in local pet store and they suggested a new food called Rotations. It was the same as the other foods in that all their recipes were meat first, all natural, no filler ingredients all that stuff but it seemed like a really interesting concept because there are 3 foods in one box, which are three different recipes of dry dog food. Here is where it was different, unlike changing other foods you can actually rotate between the recipes once the dogs are switched over because despite having completely different recipes all the levels, (protein, fat, carbs, etc..) are even across the three formulas.

I brought it home for Scarlett and holy cow :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: ! She went from a picky eater to licking the bottom of the bowl every time. I switch her flavor at each meal and she is doing amazing. No upset stomach. This is the best I can manage to rotate her foods for getting good variety, without the big messes!

TRY IT OUT!!! Amazing

www.rotationspetfood.com

I only wish I could make commission of this stuff cuz' it is gonna take over the doggie world!

Sounds interesting, but my dog will eat his own poop... Or the other dog's poop. Or the cat's poop...

How much is this stuff?

Sounds interesting, but my dog will eat his own poop... Or the other dog's poop. Or the cat's poop...

How much is this stuff?

Fair enough, but he will love eat and it well improve his health, coat and energy (Scarlett I swear to god comes over to me every time I feed her and licks my hands and she never did that before...so I can only guess she likes it) and maybe even clear up that nasty poop eating habit....lol

That actually maybe a result of vitamin deficiency....

Edit- the box of 3 bags is like 35bucks or so and should last awhile (month or so) depending on the size of your dog(s)...

Trust me, it's not a vitamin deficiency when my dog eats his poop. MoFo eats better than I do. I feed him Wellness Lamb, Barley and Salmon mix @ $55 a bag and put salmon oil all over it. Still eats his poop. I guess the food is so good, he's gotta go for leftovers when it comes out. That's the only thing I can think of...

I've been told a dog eats his own poop because of undigested food. (he still smells food).

My dog eats only Canidea meal(dry) and the same biscuts...and doesn't eat her poo.

The food is probably more healthy than the stuff in my diet.

Glad you found something that works.

I've been told a dog eats his own poop because of undigested food. (he still smells food).

My dog eats only Canidea meal(dry) and the same biscuts...and doesn't eat her poo.

And why not get your dog to go green? They need to do their part to recycle just like humans...

And why not get your dog to go green? They need to do their part to recycle just like humans...

Better for the lawn. It's the pee that burns it out!

I have a picky eatign dog as well, but I can't find this stuff within 100 miles of me :( . It sounds like a great product though and I will be keeping my eyes open for some. Thanks for the info.

Oh yeah... mine eat like kings. Crap, we just made a couple of batches of home made dried sweet potato treats (my guys LOVE 'em) Matter of fact, when I die, I wanna be reincarnated as my dog.

But wait... who would feed me...

:laugh:

Seriously, glad it worked out for you. I've put a lot of time into the dog food thing, and with 2 over 100 pounds, we go thru a lot of food. But it's super important for them... probably more so than for us mere humans. Hell, the breeder we got ours from spent over an hour grilling the nutritionalist for each dog food company she could locate in the search for the right stuff. Some of the food I'd never heard of before.

Hopefully Scarlett keep enjoying the new vittles!

My golden retriever only eats Canidea as well.

For the longest time, I bought my dog brand name foods from Walmart like IAMs and Alpo and such. Who'd think this food is basically unhealthy filler? Every night he didn't care if the cat ate his food and wasn't interested in it at all.

Now that we switched to a real food like Canidea, bottom of the bowl in 15 seconds flat. No matter what. The change in energy is amazing.

I also encourage you, if you love your dog, look at the ingredients. If the first few items aern't meat, then you got the wrong food.

I read the analysis on that food, and it is good. There are other foods that are just as nutritious.

I have done exhaustive research on Dog Food. I have always raised large/giant, deep chested breeds, and nutrition is

very critical (prone to Stomach Torsion, etc.).

Linda Arndt is probably the foremost expert on the subject. It would pay to look at "some" of what she has

to say. If you followed her whole regimen, it would cost you more to feed one dog than a family, imo.

That said, Her advice to add a tablespoon or two of canned food with a little water, to the kibble, is spot on (

you are basically making a gravy).

The dry kibble pulls a lot of moisture out of the dog's digestive tract. This additional moisture is essential for proper

function. Another aspect of feeding your dog human grade kibbles is A LOT less visits to the vet.

My dogs do not get any human food except for fruits and veggies. Typically apples, and carrots.

(I can get them to do anything I want with apples, they LOVE them).

In addition, Dogs are not complete carnivores, i.e., when a wild dog kills it's prey, which is typically an herbivore,

they eat the entrails, which contain the plant matter.

Finally, free feeding is a definite no no. It does not allow them to digest thier food properly. Twice a day, and force the

to eat slowly if they wolf down thier food. One method is to put a large rubber chew toy in the dish, to force them

to "work" for the food. If they don't eat at meal time remove the food, and wait until the next meal time.

They will then learn to eat on schedule.

Thanks all and yes she is loving it and the product ingredients are all natural and they test like crazy to make sure it is fresh. Comes in three resealable zip bags and then in a box so convenient and neat as well. Hope anyone who tries it likes it as much as me and lets us know how your pooch does on it.

Better for the lawn. It's the pee that burns it out!

The dog whisperer in my house AKA-"the Wife" told me to tell you all that dogs eat their poo due to worms. If they are poo munching, then they should be wormed and that will clear that up.

PJ

P.S. The opinions of the Dog Whisperer are only that of the Dog Whisperer. They in no way reflect the opinions of this Board Participant or its management.

I've heard that PJ. But, my pooch doesn't have worms. He was checked for worms in May right before I put him on heartworm meds when I moved up to Michigan for the summer. It can also can be behavioral issues, too.

Why Dogs Eat Poop: 20 Reasons

1. Your dog might be hungry. If your dog doesn't have access to food, he might eat poop.

2. Some dogs will eat poop to clean up an area like a housekeeper. This is most likely if your dog is confined to a crate or kennel, or when he's chained up or otherwise restricted. He's taking care of his space.

3. If your dog likes to carry poop, and then eat it, it could be genetics. Some dogs have instincts to carry stuff in their mouths.

4. Your dog might be eating poop because of parasites or worms. They can suck nutrients out of your dog, driving him to eat poop. It might also leave him extra hungry because of the lack of proper fuel.

5. Your dog might be eating cat poop or other animal poop to get key nutrients and minerals not available in his own food.

6. Some dogs will simply eat poop to pass the time. Dogs will eat poop because they are bored or lonely. It can be a sign of neglect.

7. Your dog might eat poop because he's anxious, nervous or otherwise upset. Stress will drive animals to do odd things.

8. Some dogs will eat poop to hide the evidence. If you punish your dog for pooping, he might eat it to stop you from getting angry.

9. If your dog has puppies, she might eat puppy poop. This is an instinct to hide the poop from predators. Poop is evidence. Getting ride of it keeps her puppies safe.

10. Some young dogs and puppies will eat poop as a novelty. That is, they'll eat poop as an experiment. They don't know better.

11. If your dog watches you pick up poop, he might learn to do the same. This is called allelomimetic behavior. Your dog observes you and learns from you, by putting the poop in his mouth you put poop in a bag.

12. Your dog might see others dogs eating poop. From this, they learn to eat poop too.

13. Many dogs simply like the taste of poop. This obviously doesn't make sense to dog owners but that's irrelevant. Some dog like to eat it and that's that. It's warm, moist, and very much like what your dog was given as a very young puppy.

14. If your dog food lacks key nutrients, he might eat poop. Your dog is trying to get "food" with nutrients any way possible, even from his own poop.

15. Sometimes dog poop seems like dog food. This can happen when dog food is low quality and includes materials that are easily passed and not absorbed by your dog. When the dog poops, it seems to be very much like the food he just consumed!

16. In some cases, dogs will eat poop if they are given too much food. This is especially true if your dog's diet is high in fat.

17. Some dogs will eat poop to gain attention. Many dog owners get very upset when their dog eats poop, which means the dog gets attention. This is a wonderful opportunity for your dog to interact with you, although it is because of negative attention.

18. It is possible that some dogs will eat the poop of other, more dominant dogs. Your dog might be more submissive than other dogs, resulting in strange poop eating behavior. This seems to occur more in households with multiple dogs where dominance and submission is a factor. Obviously this doesn't explain much about dogs eating cat poop or other animal poop.

19. It is possible that your dog wants to eat more than one time per day. If you only feed your dog once per day, and your dog eats poop, it could be an indication they want to eat more frequently.

20. In some cases, your dog will eat poop by accident. Dogs are curious and will try to eat almost anything, including poop. Dogs explore the world through taste and smell, much more than humans.

google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);

Summarization: Why Dogs Eat Poop

So, now you have seen 20 reasons why dogs eat poop. It could be a signal for higher quality food, more food, less food, or more frequent meals. It could be related to your dog’s desire for more attention and interaction. Your dog might be eating poop out of instinct whereas in other cases it might a learned behavior from you or by watching other dogs.

I must say, that's more than I ever wanted to know about dogs eating poop. :p

PJ