• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If you're happy at one job, what percentage....

Techdawg2012

If you were happy at your current job, but got another offer where you know you would probably like, what % of a salary increase would it take?

I forgot to add, I'm currently 6 and a half hours from my mom, dad, sister, brother in law, and niece. If I took new job I would be 15 minutes from them. I'm single FWIW

Also, I would be moving from a city I enjoy, NHL team and NFL team, to a city that didn't offer as much...

If it were me, I would consider the following:
  • History of new company, including the industry and where that particular industry is headed. For instance, if banking, I would steer clear. If healthcare, then probably the best time to get in or remain in that industry (depending on your role of course).
  • How many employees does the new company have?
  • What does the future look like in regards to career growth?
  • Are you happy with your current situation?
  • Do you want to be closer to your family?
  • Has your current company treated you well?
  • Do you like the town you live in? Would you like the new town better?
  • What is the cost of living where you're at vs the new town?
  • What is the culture of the new company compared to your current company?
As you can see, there are many things to consider before making a move. Sounds like you'll need to move all of your belongings as well. Personally, if the opportunity is right, then sometimes a cut in pay is even worth it. Look at the big picture and weigh out all options. Money isn't everything, trust me...

Probably more than you expected, but I hope this helps...

If it were me, I would consider the following:
  • History of new company, including the industry and where that particular industry is headed. For instance, if banking, I would steer clear. If healthcare, then probably the best time to get in or remain in that industry (depending on your role of course).
  • How many employees does the new company have?
  • What does the future look like in regards to career growth?
  • Are you happy with your current situation?
  • Do you want to be closer to your family?
  • Has your current company treated you well?
  • Do you like the town you live in? Would you like the new town better?
  • What is the cost of living where you're at vs the new town?
  • What is the culture of the new company compared to your current company?
As you can see, there are many things to consider before making a move. Sounds like you'll need to move all of your belongings as well. Personally, if the opportunity is right, then sometimes a cut in pay is even worth it. Look at the big picture and weigh out all options. Money isn't everything, trust me...

Probably more than you expected, but I hope this helps...
Thanks! The new company is actually a Junior college where I would be the head athletic trainer. My current job is at a high school, where I'm the athletic trainer as well....

I would add to what Rod said.

What I do when I need to make an important decision its the Ben Franklin close. Its simple, you make a list of all the positive things and negative things about each option, write them down, and weigh your options. It makes it easier for me to make a call based on the facts, not emotions, then I don't regret the choice I make.
I how this helps, good luck.

Other things to think about: Health/medical benefits, 401K, vacation, etc. There's a whole heck of a lot more to think about than just the take-home pay.

I'm assuming that both schools (high school and junior college) are public. If this is the case I would want to also consider the stability of the public funding for either job (i.e. what is the probability of either school's athletic programs being cut).

I'm assuming that both schools (high school and junior college) are public. If this is the case I would want to also consider the stability of the public funding for either job (i.e. what is the probability of either school's athletic programs being cut).
The high school is private, but I'm employed by the team doctor. The Junior College is public...

All things being equal, it generally doesn't make sense to make a move for less than a 10% increase in pay.

My experiences are that it is not very easy to find a job that you are completely satisfied with. If you are happy where you are at, I would definitely make sure you can identify some real positives to move on (i.e. monetary, growth, location to family).

There are only 2 good jobs in the world.........Your last one, and your next one. There will always be issues of some sort with the one you are currently at. The considerations have been made pretty clear by your brothers here, the rest is solely your choice. I hope you make a wise one.

I do not look at the salary. I only consider "quality of life".

There were times in my life when I paid more in income tax that my starting wage was when I changed careers and accepted a position with the company that I work for now. My quality of life improved more than I can put into words.

Consider this carefully.

Back