• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione 88

H311oLHD

I wanted to start this review out by saying that I was a huge skeptic when it came to this brand. I didn't know if it would be one of those mis-hyped cigars or not, so tonight I thought I'd try one out and form my own opinion!

Cigar: Illusione 88
Setting: Back patio on a muggy, but very peaceful evening.
Entertainment: Cigar Pass :cool:
Drink: None
Total smoke time: roughly 1 hr

The Illusione 88 is a very stunning cigar. I really like the white and black label and I also like it's simplicity. The wrapper was a nice milk chocolate brown color, that had a few minor veins, but nothing too serious. As all Illusiones have, it had a very nicely placed triple cap (love it!) The prelight draw had me a tad worried, it was very loose, which was surprising because the cigar didn't feel spongy at all to the touch.

I noticed over on newhavana.com that they categorized the 88 as a full bodied cigar, and I completely agree with them. It was a very complex cigar, but it was NOT a nicotine bomb. I really enjoy full bodied cigars, but I have been running into a lot of nicotine bombs as of late. I noticed a lot of spice in this cigar, as well as a hint of cream *I think?* on the aftertaste. At one point I also thought I picked up some traces of chocolate. The last 1/4 tasted only of fantastic tobacco, which was quite tasty!

The construction was top notch, which is always a plus in any cigar smoker's book. The ash was a light grey color and held on for two inches and fell off about an inch and a half away from the band. I only ashed twice the entire cigar. My only knock on this cigar (which is why it didn't get a tad higher rating) was that it didn't burn evenly the entire time. I didn't have to make any touch ups, but I easily could have if I was anal about it. That being said, whenever it did get uneven, the cigar seemed to notice this and corrected itself after a few minutes.

Overall: I would HIGHLY recommend my fellow BOTL to try these cigars for themselves (but not before I get mine!!) If I come across the money and room for a box of these, I will definitely pull the trigger! I really enjoyed this cigar, one of the best I have had this summer.

Rating: 92/100

pic011eb5.jpg

pic013bi1.jpg

pic012fj7.jpg

pic014pn5.jpg

pic015vd3.jpg

pic016hm0.jpg

Excellent review! As a matter of fact, the 88s are the only blend that I think are absolutely awesome. The other vitola's don't do it for me.

I'm glad to see a full flavored cigar with less nicotine. Just like yourself, I enjoy a full flavored cigar, but many times don't have the full stomach come smoking time to enjoy one without feeling ill. Maybe I'll have to try my first Illusione soon. :thumbs:

Very nice review! Looks like I've got to get my hands on a few of these. I've been looking for a flavourful smoke without the one two punch.

I agree...great review! I like all the illusione vitolas but I really love the cg4, 68, and the 88. All seem to be med-full bodied to me, but definitely are complex, smooth, and flavorful...not just brute strength. Can't go wrong with them

Great review! I think I've got an idea of what I'd like to try next now... :thumbs: :laugh: I hate when my cigars canoe, though!

Nice review, I love these. I can't keep them in my humi.

Ken

I've had the m7 and the 888. I liked both very much. Guess I need to try one of the smaller vitolas.

Very nice review Aaron, makes me want to go out and get some...in fact, I'm going to do just that.

If you lied, I'll be knocking on your door...LOL :laugh:

Brian

Edit to add: I have been told that these are 888 and not 88 ???

Oops...Now I have been told there are both 88 and 888...wish he would make up his mind :angry:

Very nice review Aaron, makes me want to go out and get some...in fact, I'm going to do just that.

Brian

Oops...Now I have been told there are both 88 and 888...wish he would make up his mind :angry:

The Robusto is the 88

I also like the 68 - Petite Corona

I think the 888 and 88 are my favorites.

Brian

:laugh: No doubt in my mind you will enjoy these! The 888 is a churchill & as others have said, 88 is the Robusto. I had to get some more...got some cg4s coming my way....but I feel like a 5er isn't enough :love: :whistling:

Enjoy Brian!

Nice review!

I smoked an 88 just last night and enjoyed it greatly. I acquired this cigar via a trade and at first was hesitant since my palate hasn't yet adapted to what are classified as full-bodied. To me, the 88 was rich but not overpowering and I enjoyed every mm right down to the nub (and I normally don't smoke down to the nub). I did notice the uneven burn, and I wondered if it was just because I was smoking outside on my deck where there was a slight breeze. Anyway...bottom line: very enjoyable even for this newbie and it now has me interested in looking for other Illusiones to try. A search of online vendors reveals that there aren't many who stock them, so now I'm thinking I ought to buy a box when I find it so I can lay in a supply for future pleasure and sharing.

I absolutely love Illusione cigars. The 88 is among my favorite. I completely agree with what everyone is saying about them, after having a couple I went out and bought a box. The one's that I have smoked I havn't noticed a burn issue with them, least not as bad as some of you have stated.