• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione....

H311oLHD

I've been scowering the net and our various retailers to find a 'deal' on Illusiones....and I have come upon the same price from every retailer. Is it possible that Illusione & Dion set their prices in stone or something? I have never seen this in the cigar industry...but i've only been here for a few years. I'm extremely shocked by this...

Can anyone comment on how this has happend? Why don't more brands do this? (not that I want them to!!!!)

They are too strong for you anyway :sign:

No idea bro, I just found it strange that I've been a ECCJ subscriber for years and I didn't hear about the special release at all... kinda pissed me off.

No doubt the Illusione are good cigars (888 and 68 being my favorites) but with how Dion reacted during the Pete Johnson blow-up that happened a few months ago, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.

And maybe you should give a few of our handlers a PM or phone call, the prices you see listed on line, are not always what you can get them for, if you take the time to order in person.

I know of a few places that have them for abit cheaper than what you see on some online places so prices are not set in stone. Some phone calls and help from your fellow botl can do wonders. But since the Illusione line is doing pretty damn good right now, there's really no need for sales or clearances since these don't last too long when the batches are released.

MSRP is set by Dion, and he is very firm that his MSRP is followed to the nickel. He is very protective of his brand, and wants to retain it's integrity. That is why you see almost the same price everywhere. If you are a retailer and you want Illusiones, you sell them at MSRP. That is the agreement you make with Dion when you become an Illusione Authorized Retailer.

Apple has been doing the same thing for years. I am sure everyone has searched for the best deals on IPod... only to find out that the price is the price no matter where you go.

MSRP is set by Dion, and he is very firm that his MSRP is followed to the nickel. He is very protective of his brand, and wants to retain it's integrity. That is why you see almost the same price everywhere. If you are a retailer and you want Illusiones, you sell them at MSRP. That is the agreement you make with Dion when you become an Illusione Authorized Retailer.

Apple has been doing the same thing for years. I am sure everyone has searched for the best deals on IPod... only to find out that the price is the price no matter where you go.
Well, that's not entirely true, as far as your Apple example. There is a certain amount of discount room to good clients. I am speaking from experience.

Wurm is right, the same applies to cigars. A vendor that you look after, will look after you. Sure, as with Apple, MSRP IS set in stone but nowadays we have the tools to break stone... :sign:

Brian

I know of a few places that have them for abit cheaper than what you see on some online places so prices are not set in stone. Some phone calls and help from your fellow botl can do wonders. But since the Illusione line is doing pretty damn good right now, there's really no need for sales or clearances since these don't last too long when the batches are released.

PM sent Aaron...

I'm in retail (not cigars)and this is a pretty common practice among "respected" brands. If one online retailer gives a significantly better deal and people stop buying from Local B&M's, then the B&M stops carrying them and the brand gets hurt. I know that a lot of people buy their cigars online, usually to save money, but it's very important that you support local B&M's. They provide a service that is being shunned and deserve our thanks and support.
I believe that Dion is a retailer himself, correct? It takes a retailer to really understand merchandising and pricing and how it help maintain credibility among those lucky enough to get the brand. Illusione has no problem with demand, so they make the rules.

I like a bargain just as much as anyone, but if a product is of high quality, and it maintains that level over time, I don't have a problem with the manufacturer demanding they sell for a certain msrp.

So far the Illusiones that I have had have been high quality. This is just my opinion.

As a cigar retailer, I find that this type of pricing helps even the playing field a bit between the B&M and the internet dealers. It's a welcome way to do business from my side of the fence.

Geoff

Well, that's not entirely true, as far as your Apple example. There is a certain amount of discount room to good clients. I am speaking from experience.

Wurm is right, the same applies to cigars. A vendor that you look after, will look after you. Sure, as with Apple, MSRP IS set in stone but nowadays we have the tools to break stone... :sign:

Brian

True, there are always exceptions to the rule. Wurm's point is a great one. I don't discount Illusione cigars because I agreed not to and I keep my word. However, I always provide a bonus or two, regardless of what they're buying, when doing business with members here or on other boards. It's m yway of providing an incentive that some other retailers don't offer. You might not get 10% off a box, but you might get $20.00 in free smokes and free shipping.

I only mention Apple because it appears that the pricing on stuff like IPods is just about the same wherever I go. Of course, I'm one of those guys who just buys it at the most convenient location I can find!! I went to Best Buy because it was close. If I make the decision to buy, I'll take a quick look at the ads in the Sunday paper and see who's having a sale, but not much more than that.

There are always good retailers who make it worth your while to shop with them. They may not always have the lowest price, but they will help you out in other ways. It pays to have a good relationship with a retailer in ANY business, whether it's cigars or not. When I got Tatuaje Blacks in, who got first shot at them? Customers that I have the best relationship with, and that doesn't necessarily mean the ones who spend the most money. I went through 8 jars and never placed one post ANYWHERE that I had them. I once exchanged several PM's with an alleged BOTL who was looking for a particular box of cigars. It was crystal clear from the get-go that this person's ONLY concern was paying the absolute lowest price he could. So in the end he bought elsewhere because it saved him $3.00. Needless to say, he didn't get the e-mail about the Blacks... or anything else.

So save a few bucks if you can. But the sooner you start building a good relationship with a retailer, the better off you'll be. JMHO.

I really like what I hear in this thread. I have a good relationship with one of my local B&M's and he takes care of his good customers in a way that no online discounter can. I think that it is entirely appropriate for a manufacturer to protect his brand by establishing a set MSRP, and not sell to shops that won't honor that. This does allow for your local guy to compete for your business, but it also rewards shops that have been good in helping these manufacturers establish their brands. I know where I like to send my money. I like supporting my local guy. I also don't mind paying a little more for other goods when I know that I am doing my part in supporting my local economy. Local shops also do things like help fight smoking bans, put on events, etc...

Brian

True, there are always exceptions to the rule. Wurm's point is a great one. I don't discount Illusione cigars because I agreed not to and I keep my word. However, I always provide a bonus or two, regardless of what they're buying, when doing business with members here or on other boards. It's m yway of providing an incentive that some other retailers don't offer. You might not get 10% off a box, but you might get $20.00 in free smokes and free shipping.

I only mention Apple because it appears that the pricing on stuff like IPods is just about the same wherever I go. Of course, I'm one of those guys who just buys it at the most convenient location I can find!! I went to Best Buy because it was close. If I make the decision to buy, I'll take a quick look at the ads in the Sunday paper and see who's having a sale, but not much more than that.

There are always good retailers who make it worth your while to shop with them. They may not always have the lowest price, but they will help you out in other ways. It pays to have a good relationship with a retailer in ANY business, whether it's cigars or not. When I got Tatuaje Blacks in, who got first shot at them? Customers that I have the best relationship with, and that doesn't necessarily mean the ones who spend the most money. I went through 8 jars and never placed one post ANYWHERE that I had them. I once exchanged several PM's with an alleged BOTL who was looking for a particular box of cigars. It was crystal clear from the get-go that this person's ONLY concern was paying the absolute lowest price he could. So in the end he bought elsewhere because it saved him $3.00. Needless to say, he didn't get the e-mail about the Blacks... or anything else.

So save a few bucks if you can. But the sooner you start building a good relationship with a retailer, the better off you'll be. JMHO.

I have to say that I'm really glad I started this thread. I knew from a business standpoint it makes sense for Dion to do this...and I completely agree, it is a great business practice. I never want to sacrifice great customer service/relationship for a few bucks, but to be honest...I don't do enough purchasing to form any sort of relationship with anyone. I love to help out B&Ms whenever possible, but being a 'kid' in the cigar world...you have to watch out for your wallet first and then the B&M second. I will definitely follow everyone's advice and try to form a greater relationship with our many retailers here. It blows my mind how many retailers we have here. We're really lucky to have all of them. I hope the thoughts keep pouring in...but thank you so far...very eye opening. :thumbs: