• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm moving soon...how do I transport my stash?

jnknzz

Shankopotamus
Going to be moving about 3 hours away in a month. I've got a 100ct. about halfway full and one of these that is packed to the gills. Most of the boxes in the bottom (bottle section) aren't completely full. I'm worried about my cigars beating themselves to death in the humis while I'm traveling. Any help/advice is much appreciated!!

Derek

Big cooler.

Pack it carefully and treat it like a box of glassware; it'll keep rh and temps stable during the move and prevent things from knocking about.

5-finger baggies are good for loose sticks.

~Boar

Use bubble wrap to fill the void in the cigar box. If you have three or five finger bags use them to put your singles in and apply bubble wrap. Put all your boxes and packages in a box lined in bubble wrap and you should be good to go.

You don't move a china cabinet with china in it and yo don't move a cigar cabinet with cigars in it. Go get some gallon ziplock bags, fill them, put them in a box or two with peanuts or bubblewrap to fill the space, seal the box and then move the cabinet. Gives you a good chance to inventory and see what you actually have when you unpack.

I just moved from Houston to middle Tennessee which took a total of three days with the kids. I packed all my cigars in those double ply freezer bags, taped them up tightly and then put them into those large plastic storage bins. They held the RH very well during the trip.

I emptied the humidor and sent it separately.

Good luck!

I just moved my stuff. I put all boxes in ice chests (which may be used for coolidor) and I also put singles in gallon zipper bags and loaded them in extra ice chests. I shipped the humi separately.

Ken

I traveled from Arizona to Michigan this summer with my humidor. My smokes were zip-locked and left in the humidor. They made it just fine. Don't sweat it, you will be fine.

3 hours isn't that much. Just do whatever you can to make sure that you don't lose humidity by using ziploc bags or a cooler, and store them so they don't rub up against eachother and damage the wrapper.. that should just about cover it.. 5 finger bags if you can find them are great, otherwise some sort of padding like bubble wrap, cotton, newspaper, anything to keep them from moving will do..

3 hours is nothing to worry about. I shipped from Afghanistan to US, and just recently from US to Germany. No problems, and it was in the summer heat. Just pack them good, put some humi devices in there and don't worry about it. Seriously, you will be carrying them yourself. If you don't trust yourself carrying cigars then...

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Looks like I'll be going the ziplock/bubble-wrap route. Buying 5er's means a lot of singles and loose cigars. I wonder how many ziplocks it'll take for over 500 singles... ??? Now if I can only talk the boss into a mancave. :(

Derek

:thumbs:

When I moved I got all my cigars out and set them on the table and had a little talk with them. I said.."Your mother and I have decided that it's best for the family if we move...I know it will be tough but I promise you'll make new friends."

I agree with AVB. Might want to put your cigars in a cooler too. Treat them as a treasure and dont put them in the Uhaul until you are ready to leave so they wont get hot. Good luck!!

Thanks for all the replies, fellas. Looks like I'll be going the ziplock/bubble-wrap route. Buying 5er's means a lot of singles and loose cigars. I wonder how many ziplocks it'll take for over 500 singles... ??? Now if I can only talk the boss into a mancave. :(

Derek

Wait... You were serious? I was waiting for the punchline. :sign:

Derek

Wait... You were serious? I was waiting for the punchline. :sign:
Serious. I've only purchased 4-5 boxes. The rest is all singles stored in random boxes in my humi. It's fuggin chaos...

Derek

For what it's worth:

I moved 2,100 miles in my car about 3.5 years ago. It was just me, so I had a 50qt cooler in the passenger seat, my 150 count Vicksburg in the passenger seat floor, my 125qt and another 50qt in the back seat, and a 50qt and two 20(or so)qt in the trunk. All of them were half filled with boxes and half filled with mostly loose singles. I didn't loose any singles on my 3 day journey. And it was a pain lugging them into hotels at night and back out to the car in the morning.

I think that 3 hours would be fine in a humi.