• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm new to all this....

Uncle Boo

I'm new to cigar smoking and just recieved this http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDis...-BC06&cat=6 to get me started. To prep the humidor I wiped down the inside with distilled water then put the bead jar inside and closed the lid. The beads are at the top of the jar so it looks like I don't need to add any distilled water to the jar. The humidor also came with a little round black puck that has velcro to stick it inside the lid. There is no explination as to what this is or does. I tried to open it but it together tightly. There is a vent on the top and it looks like a sponge type material in it. Do I need to put that in there and what does it do?

As a side note I also ordered this http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDis...at=6&page=3 to help me see what I like. I added up the box prices then divided and it looks like they sent about $25-26 dollars worth. For my first cigar I tried a Cremosa Cubana which was less than a buck and I actually liked it. I know, I have no taste yet but I'm trying to attune my palat or whatever you call it. :blush:

WELCOME! Very nice post. Seems like you've done some research and have made some fine decisions thus far. Alot of what you will learn is from experience and trial and error. I have not been smoking long, but have learned alot from other brother's and the internet.

Welcome from another newbie to this forum.

The puck thing is a humidifier, you add a 50/50% mix of propylene glycol and distilled water to that. Just squirt it thru the vent slots; don't saturate it. But, you've got the gel jar there for that purpose already; so you may not even need to mess with the foam humidifier. I've got one of those gel bead jars and it works fine too. I believe the gel beads eventually loose their effectiveness after about a year.

There's alot of good info to be had here.

I've not tried any of the cigars in that package there but hope you enjoy them.

Welcome to the board!

Be careful with the propylene glycol as you don't want to get it on your cigars, personially I only use distilled water with beads but thats just me.

Welcome to the board!

Be careful with the propylene glycol as you don't want to get it on your cigars, personially I only use distilled water with beads but thats just me.

Beads sure sound like the right way to go for humidification. I just haven't made the jump to them yet.

Vipers beads work wonders, I have a 1/2# (in pantyhose) at the bottom of my 300 ct humi, and a small tube in my travel case. And I just got a Puck from Cigarmony.com for my desktop humi. The green foam that came with my travel ended up with mold in it!!

And of course, with all these, use distilled water, not tap.

D