• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm shopping for a gun

Well Kathy doesn't have any low mass issues, nor is she the least bit squeamish about firearms. She rejected the 1911 :( Next up is most likely a .380 or .40. After we settle on HER pistol, we'll go shopping for MINE.
The .380 is an anemic cartridge. It's apt to just piss off the perp. You'd be better off with a 9mm.

Doc.

Amen. .380 is horrible.

Doesn't a .380 and a .22 rimfire have almost the same muzzle velocity out of a handgun? Plus, you would have to get real up close and personal.

The effective range on a small .380 is like 10-15 feet. That's WAY too close if you ask me, especially if you have to shoot the perp in the eye because the round has no real stopping power.

Fish

Doesn't a .380 and a .22 rimfire have almost the same muzzle velocity out of a handgun? Plus, you would have to get real up close and personal.

The effective range on a small .380 is like 10-15 feet. That's WAY too close if you ask me, especially if you have to shoot the perp in the eye because the round has no real stopping power.

Fish

In all fairness I agree with the .380 being on the low end of adaquate as far as stopping power goes. I haven't read all the post, however, most engagements with a mope will occur in that 10-15 foot range. If you are farther away a distinct arguement for fleeing could and should be made. As far as shoting them in the eye goes, its a nice thought, but not really a reality. The end goal of any defensive measure should be to end the confrontation, be it with a mope's death or disabling him a enough to get away.

Also, from personal experience, I have seen more shooting deaths involving small caliber hand guns to the groin and stomach area than I have large caliber to the chest and head. I will grant that this is probable because the "peeps" perfer the cheap small caliber guns, but thats just my two cents.

I'm reading the opinions, thanks. I will veto the .380 then, and try steering her back to 9mm.

I'm reading the opinions, thanks. I will veto the .380 then, and try steering her back to 9mm.
Maybe a smaller framed revolver in .38 would suit her? Or are you (or her) set on an semi-auto? Some of the smaller framed S&W revolvers are very good handguns and the .38 (especially HPs out of a 3 1/2"-4" barrel) is pretty hard on the shootee but not too hard on the shooter.

.357 loaded with .38 is the way to go for ease of shooting.

True.

However, it sounds like the wife is wanting a smaller framed weapon if she's looking at .380 semi autos. Some of the smaller framed .38s are very manageable even with .38+P ammo. Some of them are harsh with +P ammo, so you really do have to fire the weapon to assess it's feel for the individual shooter.

True.

However, it sounds like the wife is wanting a smaller framed weapon if she's looking at .380 semi autos. Some of the smaller framed .38s are very manageable even with .38+P ammo. Some of them are harsh with +P ammo, so you really do have to fire the weapon to assess it's feel for the individual shooter.

Nah, I don't think she is into smaller. Shooting at the range will tell. I will insist on something that throws a bit more mass than the .380. I'm no stranger to firearms and neither is she. We'll find our niche, especially with the lessons provided here.

True.

I'm not a big fan of small frame, medium frame fits 99% of the people on the planet.

I love my smith&wesson combat 19. it is one of the original design .357 it is designed to shoot .38 for range and .357 in the field. You shouldnt run thousands of rounds of .357 through it because it was not designed for that shoots great though took a deer with it last week.

True.

I'm not a big fan of small frame, medium frame fits 99% of the people on the planet.
I always knew TheWife© was in the 1%. This certainly confirms it. :)

I don't know why anyone would consider a .380 for any reason other than size. My mistake, I guess.

I always knew TheWife© was in the 1%. This certainly confirms it. :)

I don't know why anyone would consider a .380 for any reason other than size. My mistake, I guess.

I bet she could comfortably use a medium frame with the right grips bro, :) And size IS the only reason to think about getting a .380 or a .25 for that matter.

Check the new .327 Ruger[post="0"]Link[/post]

Linky no Worky :)

*edit* Heres one that works... wow nice gun... Bruce you do need to look the .327 Ruger over.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st327_110707/

The smaller frame revolver I was talking about is the SP101. :laugh:

I hadn't heard much about the .327, but it looks intriguing.

The smaller frame revolver I was talking about is the SP101. :laugh:

I hadn't heard much about the .327, but it looks intriguing.

Oh. My bad. :blush:
It's definitely a nice firearm
for home protection.

Jack

Great stuff! Keep it coming. Shame that you guys aren't enjoying the banter.

The wife and I both love our Glocks.
Yes, they are "only" 9mm but we have both been able to afford to run hundreds of rounds through them on a regular basis. They are easy to shoot, very reliable, have more than ample capacity, and I have no doubt that anyone entering our home uninvited will face a very unpleasant experience.

In PA the law has changed and you are no longer required to retreat before using deadly force.

My concealed carry weapon is a tiny .380, the KEL-TEC P-3AT. Yes it's a very short range weapon but I would only anticipate using it at very short range and I am comfortable with it and able to quickly hit my target. It is so small and discrete that I can put it in my pocket and go anywhere, making me much more likely to carry it than if I have to deal with the hassle of concealing a larger piece.

The key to any of this is practice, training and practice, and more practice. hen you need to use it firing must be automatic and second nature and that only comes through training and practice.