• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In need of advice......

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
I received an email yesterday, from my employer, with options of a voluntary separation program. The benefits offered are: 3 weeks of pay, per year of service(maxed at 60 weeks), 100% of your bonus and insurance coverage for the same amount of weeks as pay. Ultimately, I'd receive 57 weeks of pay + 100% of my bonus (12% of pay) and insurance for 57 weeks. It's a huge chunk of change to pass up and I know I'd lose a lot, with a lump sum and taxes. The process is that we volunteer by 11/10 and will know by 12/10, our work through date. The 3 work through dates 12/28/18, 3/22/19 and 6/28/19.

I haven't been happy for a few years now. I moved to this org (Finance) from an Engineering department, for stability and growth. Typical with any upward movement, it's based on how much ass you kiss and unfortunately for me, I'm not good at ass kissing/never have been.

So, with a wife/kids, I'm thinking hard about this. I don't think this offer will come around again, nor do I think upward mobility will be as easily obtained going forward. Anyone been in a similiar situation or faced with a similiar decision? I don't have a lot of people, that I ask opinions from, so since I think of this community as a family, I'm posing the question here.

-Brandon

I never give advice about important stuff. If you should take it and it doesn't work out, it's my fault. Do what's best for you and your family. I know what I'd do, especially if I wasn't happy with my current job.;)

Doc

I never give advice about important stuff. If you should take it and it doesn't work out, it's my fault. Do what's best for you and your family. I know what I'd do, especially if I wasn't happy with my current job.;)

Doc

Would I owe you a cigar and a drink, if your advice turned out to better my situation?

I’ve had a tough eight years or so professionally.

Mutually agreed to leave a job I hated in a hurry (Reverse racism does exist). Started a business with Infinity’s family that was doing excellent, until a sudden change in FDA regulations forced us to shut down suddenly and left us with scarcely more than two nickels to rub together.
Started over in a new profession and own my own business that’s doing well after a few tough years.
Point being, I’m still here, times were a bit tighter, the kids never went without anything they truly needed, but I never had the rather large buffer “to figure it out time” you just had thrown your way.

Also, I love what I do now!

Obviously this is a very important decision that requires a lot of thought to it, but you're unhappy in the job as it is, a pretty nice golden parachute (so to speak) is being offered, and you'd theoretically be getting paid to look for a new job, which, if you landed, would mean double dipping your income level.

Work will always be there, in some way or another. Just a few points of perspective.

Sounds like this is a convo to be had with your wife and make the best decision for your family.. It's nice that you won't lose any pay (so it appears), you'll have a year to find another job.

I received an email yesterday, from my employer, with options of a voluntary separation program. The benefits offered are: 3 weeks of pay, per year of service(maxed at 60 weeks), 100% of your bonus and insurance coverage for the same amount of weeks as pay. Ultimately, I'd receive 57 weeks of pay + 100% of my bonus (12% of pay) and insurance for 57 weeks. It's a huge chunk of change to pass up and I know I'd lose a lot, with a lump sum and taxes. The process is that we volunteer by 11/10 and will know by 12/10, our work through date. The 3 work through dates 12/28/18, 3/22/19 and 6/28/19.

I haven't been happy for a few years now. I moved to this org (Finance) from an Engineering department, for stability and growth. Typical with any upward movement, it's based on how much ass you kiss and unfortunately for me, I'm not good at ass kissing/never have been.

So, with a wife/kids, I'm thinking hard about this. I don't think this offer will come around again, nor do I think upward mobility will be as easily obtained going forward. Anyone been in a similiar situation or faced with a similiar decision? I don't have a lot of people, that I ask opinions from, so since I think of this community as a family, I'm posing the question here.

-Brandon

You already answered your question.

The offer sounds good. I'd weigh it against real world opportunities available to you post offer. It's all about your comfort level. What happens if they rescind offer, are you being laid off without the perks? What happens if you stay and your workload increases because the downsized the work force? Too many variables to say yes, but for what it is worth sounds good to me. Maybe you can negotiate a longer health care coverage.

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good opportunity to make a change and not necessarily have to be stressed out about income. I’d think looking at opportunities in Colorado would be good, especially if you can make a lateral move and find a good place to be. Write out the pros and cons. If your kids are still younger, a change in scenery may not be bad. Do what’s best for you and yours. Good luck.

It's your call about whether to take it or not but if you decide to take it, try and negotiate the payout in two tax years. Remember this is voluntary and the terms of the agreement should be able to be negotiated at least somewhat.

I appreciate the input, I really do and my wife/I have talked. We just got the information yesterday, so it's still new. Life is always the "A bird in the hand" quote and regrets will always be there. Damned if I stay and things worsen, damned if I leave and things get better here. I need to figure out what my priorities are and make the decision, that best fits for our situation. Having only a mortgage payment, with money in the bank, sure is hard to pass up.

I’ve had a tough eight years or so professionally.

Mutually agreed to leave a job I hated in a hurry (Reverse racism does exist). Started a business with Infinity’s family that was doing excellent, until a sudden change in FDA regulations forced us to shut down suddenly and left us with scarcely more than two nickels to rub together.
Started over in a new profession and own my own business that’s doing well after a few tough years.
Point being, I’m still here, times were a bit tighter, the kids never went without anything they truly needed, but I never had the rather large buffer “to figure it out time” you just had thrown your way.

Also, I love what I do now!

I've seriously put thought into obtaining the Home Inspection license.

You already answered your question.

I just need to come to terms with it.

The offer sounds good. I'd weigh it against real world opportunities available to you post offer. It's all about your comfort level. What happens if they rescind offer, are you being laid off without the perks? What happens if you stay and your workload increases because the downsized the work force? Too many variables to say yes, but for what it is worth sounds good to me. Maybe you can negotiate a longer health care coverage.

Well, that's one of the questions/concerns, regarding increased workload due to people leaving. Will my team have to absorb work or will I have to absorb work, without the compensation? It's a valid concern.

Sounds to me like you have a pretty good opportunity to make a change and not necessarily have to be stressed out about income. I’d think looking at opportunities in Colorado would be good, especially if you can make a lateral move and find a good place to be. Write out the pros and cons. If your kids are still younger, a change in scenery may not be bad. Do what’s best for you and yours. Good luck.

We've talked about moving to Colorado. I loved my time living there, we've also vacationed there and everyone loved it.

A full year of pay & benefits plus a bonus sure looks like plenty of time to find the next thing you want to do. You know the opportunities out there in your own field better than any of us here, though. All I can tell you for sure is we never get offers like that in education! o_O

~Boar

A full year of pay & benefits plus a bonus sure looks like plenty of time to find the next thing you want to do. You know the opportunities out there in your own field better than any of us here, though. All I can tell you for sure is we never get offers like that in education! o_O

~Boar

Agreed, it looks great on paper, but it's always the what-ifs. I know I'll have what-ifs, no matter what decision I make. I just didn't know if others here, had been through something similar. My mentors left the company and my wife isn't one to sit down with a cigar/beer and discuss decisions. She'd rather stress over it all, rather than thinking logically :)

My current position started as a midyear (school year) switch from the classroom I'd taught in for 20 years to a distance learning & curriculum design position with a statewide charter ISD. 20% raise, which ordinarily just does not happen in education, but less job security.

Sometimes I still get the panics. :confused:

Overall it's worked out though. I like what I do & I'm the only one in the company doing it.

~Boar

Hang on let me think about this; bang your head against the wall or try somewhere else? If your not getting satisfaction in your present position, getting paid well, while looking for something more fulfilling is a great opertunity. I made a hard change 14 years ago and haven’t flip someone the bird while driving since! Its nice to think our spouses (male or female) are understanding and always receptive to change but I know from experience that’s bullshit, no matter how much change is involved there’s always worry and stress. You just need to work through it with her because altimatly you both have the same goal......getting out alive and watching your children have children. Also, it might not be tomorrow but eventually your children will understand the reason behind your decisions. Good luck.

Agreed, it looks great on paper, but it's always the what-ifs. I know I'll have what-ifs, no matter what decision I make. I just didn't know if others here, had been through something similar. My mentors left the company and my wife isn't one to sit down with a cigar/beer and discuss decisions. She'd rather stress over it all, rather than thinking logically :)

My company is doing a lot of this. I expect I have 3 years max left the before I'm in this position. Honestly, after 20 years, I'd welcome it. Nearly a year's pay, an end to the uncertainty, I'm not happy there, and a kick in the ass to find something I like more doesn't seem so bad.

A friend on another forum found himself in a similar situation. The timing has never been better to find a new job/role/career. The economy is zipping along with few indicators pointing to anything more than the occasional market correction. Unemployment is at an all time low, while demand for highly skilled persons is as good as it gets. Will the situation be the same in a year? Unlikely, but if you were to take the offer, and a few months off to relax and treat yourself, before looking for something new in January, your odds are good for everything to come up aces. That said, you're an adult and responsible for your own decisions.