• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to spelling and grammar

Glad this made it back up to the top. With more and more folks using social media and texting what you see is what you get. It is a shame that folks on a forum that has been around for a long time, don't bother to read and understand how it functions. Just beacause you send texts to your friends that only they know what it means, doesn't mean we have to suffer through that. Before it gets ugly, yes Gary I am a bully!

Mrs. Crabtree would be beside herself right now!

omg..wtf...#ijustdontgetit

I always like it whenthis post gets bumped......

Tim

tone-ny said:
Glad this made it back up to the top. With more and more folks using social media and texting what you see is what you get. It is a shame that folks on a forum that has been around for a long time, don't bother to read and understand how it functions. Just beacause you send texts to your friends that only they know what it means, doesn't mean we have to suffer through that. Before it gets ugly, yes Gary I am a bully!

Do you think it will work? ???

broblues said:

Do you think it will work? ???
No but wtf!

Hey Rod - can we please ban the use of LOL , along with any text message shorthand, before my head explodes ?

MilesMingusMonk said:
Hey Rod - can we please ban the use of LOL , along with any text message shorthand, before my head explodes ?

I hate when people use text-talk.  LOL, IDK, SMH, BFF Jill.  It drives me bananas.

KayakinBoy said:

I hate when people use text-talk.  LOL, IDK, SMH, BFF Jill.  It drives me bananas.

What about ISOM, BOTL, SOTL, WTF, FWIW...

An acronyms is just that, I think the issue is the over use or just throwing LOL in places where it doesn't even fit. If using acronyms is an issue then why have this list to help us?

MilesMingusMonk said:

LOL

Tall Paul said:

What about ISOM, BOTL, SOTL, WTF, FWIW...

An acronyms is just that, I think the issue is the over use or just throwing LOL in places where it doesn't even fit. If using acronyms is an issue then why have this list to help us?

Getting serious for a second... that list was originally started back in 2004. Way back then, half of the current crop of new posters were still in HS, but the old guys were still old. Adding things like LOL and SSDD were helpful, not necessarily for just the baord, but for being online in general. You think Doc knew what LOL meant back then? Bet he knows now, though.

The overwhelming majority of the acronyms on that list, though, are used frequently on this board. And for a new guy here to read a post where a bunch of BOTL got together to smoke some BGM, PAM, RASCC and WOAM, he might be lost. Check the list, and voilà, it's there. But you're not going to find posts where someone is needlessly dropping VSG VSG VSG all over the place. It makes no sense.

You log on to the board, and the first thing you see in the shout box is
LOL LOL
every day all day, it's gets annoying. Nothing is that funny. As often as LOL is dropped, if you were really laughing that much, you'd probably pass out.

Tom I understand completely and I'm just playing devils advocate in what I said with AVB's list. That list has helped me out hundreds of times when a long running member uses an acronym for a cigar brand that I didn't know. In my opinion it's mainly the difference in generations here at CP and the way that the media world has changed the younger generation into over using terms like LOL. I find myself doing it to sometimes in text, FB or even here. I understand the point you guys have made and agree completely it is very annoying when some put LOL at the end of every statement. Sometimes it takes harder hits in the head to get the point across but in time we all learn... I hope!

Paul

Where does DICK! fit in all this?

I know it used to get thrown around more when freebern was young and careless!

hmm you guys still expect me to spell correctly after all this time. one day I will figure it out.

lol ftw...ijs