• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In store house made cigars

other1

Cigarpassaholic. Mmm.. cigarpassahol.
I wandered upon a cigar store this afternoon in lower manhattan that has a real live roller creating the house brand of cigars. It was pretty amazing to watch this old cuban guy sitting there rolling cigars. He made it seem very easy, which I'm sure it isn't.

I bought a torpedo and a robusto. I'll see if they are any good. Bundles are pretty reasonable if it turns out they are good. I don't really know anything more about them then that it is DR tobacco. The guy said they were medium bodied.

You probably know the place. Its on Maiden Lane. We should meet there for a smoke one of these days.

:angry: Be weary of the in-house rollers at most shops. You never know just what the hell they are mixing up and you never know how it's been kept. Case in point. Once, years and years ago, I purchased several sticks made by one of the in-house roller guys. Not an altogether bad smoke - a little mild for me - but, I stored the rest of the sticks he made in one of desktop humi's. I went back to the humi a couple of days later only to find that when I opened the lid...hundreds of bettles crawling around. The sticks I bought were the ones that had all the holes in them. Beetles generally bore their way out of a stick, not necessarily in, but in any case, I know the source of that horrible beetle infestation was those sticks. :angry:

Just something to keep in mind.

Ive seen rollers work a couple of times in shops it is pretty neat to watch them they do make it look easy. not the best smokes though. My Wife brought me home a couple of cigars once from Hondouras that she got to watch being rolled and I had to question whether or not they were actually cigars. They were huge must have been a 75 ring gauge and very soft. tried to smoke one just for the hell of it but couldn't do it had to throw it out. I cut one open and the insides did not look at all like tobacco leaves. ???

If you're in the neigborhood, check out Quisqueyana Cigars on Church St (by Read). The smokes are very nice and the the girls, holy smokes - nice!

The other day at the shop they were taking all the Perdomos off the shelves because they were changing their blend and wanted only the new product out there. When I asked the guy what they were going to do with those, he said they would probably be given to the rollers to give out as hand rolled cigars. I guess technically, they are.

Moral of the story, you never know what you're getting.

Capt B - Quisqueyana is exactly the place I'm talking about. Its on Maiden Lane isn't it? Still haven't tried the smokes. Have a torpedo and a robusto sitting in the humidor.

There are quite a few shops in Tampa / Ybor that have rollers in side..you can buy some fresh wet sticks..not the greatest smokes off the bat...but with time and aging...not bad.

I was in Miami for business and had a chance to see Rolando Reyes, Sr roll some cigars a number of years ago...not to say he is the greatest roller (since I know crap about rolling cigars) but it was nice to see him craft a stick.

There is one roller in Tarpon Springs, FL who is about to roll cigars using 8 year old Cameroon wrappers with mixed dominican & brazillian leaves. He rolls a limited production amount. His are rather nice sticks

Rnccen

Last week there was a good show about cigar history on the History Channel. The name of the show is "Hands On History". The host spent time in Ybor And tried his hand at rolling. The True roller made it look so easy :p . They also talked about the history of Ybor. It should be repeated, most of the shows on History Cannel are.

Bill