• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In The Matter Of Pricing Over MSRP...

The are a couple of threads ongoing in the Hot Cigar Deals room in which there's more than a little tension in the discussion of whether or not sellers should be able to ask their own prices for the cigars they offer for sale.

This thread is for the statement and discussion of opinions as to whether "gouging" is somehow inherently wrong, and whether or not you'd do business with someone who charges inflated prices. Flames or derision toward another poster for a civilly stated opinion will result in the unleashing of some serious Connecticut verbal stompin' on your ass.

My thoughts?

I'm a staunchly free market kinda guy. Particularly when it comes to commerce in nonessential goods. Sellers should be able to ask whatever they like for any particular cigar or cigars. Buyers are free to say yes or no. If said smokes don't sell at the price asked, the seller will either lower it, or remove the cigars from consideration for sale.

Personally, if I see a seller asking too much, too often, I will ignore his future offerings. While I stand strongly behind what I've said above, I don't like greedy people, and have no desire to enrich them.

I'm a big believer in Wilkey's "chart" as well. I will not do business with someone who sells a gift, or buys low from a BOTL interested in helping another out, and attempts to sell at a higher price. That said, I believe that once someone owns a cigar it is his right to dispose of it as he sees fit. It is also my right not to interface with cheesy folk. :D

I just wanted to say that, I feel retailers do not have the right to post at whatever price they want here on CP. This Forum is owned by Rod, not me or any other retailer. If I want to gouge, I have every right to do so on my own website, but not here. Rod provides me and a host of other retailers to advertise for free on his forum so that we may enrich the community with hard to get smokes at good prices while promoting our business free of charge. This to me is part of the deal, Rod gives me the opportunity to strengthen my customer base, I in turn offer great deals that attract people to his site. This is Rod's site and I have to live by his rules.

Thanks Rod

Although most of us frown very much on any retailer who gouges, as long as it's listed in the proper place on this board (retailer section), I believe it is their right to offer prices at whatever they want to sell them (which has been going on for some time now).

Where it gets a little greasy, for lack of a better word, is that it's difficult at times to assess what is gouging. Some prices are obvious, where others are not (i.e. rare stock). At any rate, Al, you have shown that you are a different breed, which is why many of us don't hesitate doing business with you. :thumbs:

By the way, any update on those Padron Principe Maduros? ;)

Although most of us frown very much on any retailer who gouges, as long as it's listed in the proper place on this board (retailer section), I believe it is their right to offer prices at whatever they want to sell them (which has been going on for some time now).

Where it gets a little greasy, for lack of a better word, is that it's difficult at times to asses what is gouging. Some prices are obvious, where others are not (i.e. rare stock). At any rate, Al, you have shown that you are a different breed, which is why many of us don't hesitate doing business with you. :thumbs:

Name names. Who in particular are the "asses"?

NA

Where it gets a little greasy, for lack of a better word, is that it's difficult at times to asses what is gouging. Some prices are obvious, where others are not (i.e. rare stock). At any rate, Al, you have shown that you are a different breed, which is why many of us don't hesitate doing business with you. :thumbs:

Name names. Who in particular are the "asses"?

NA

I shave mine.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that as I I'm not a hairy guy. :laugh:

NA - good catch you bastid. However, I'll blame that on the Sierra Nevadas I had this evening. Hmmmm... good beer! :thumbs:

I just wanted to say that, I feel retailers do not have the right to post at whatever price they want here on CP. This Forum is owned by Rod, not me or any other retailer.

While it's a little peripheral to the original topic, which was about pricing in general, puffstuff makes a valid point here. In the case of CP, or other sites (especially those which don't charge a fee for posting items for sale), the site owner's wishes trump the seller's.