• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In Theaters/Rentals: What Have You Seen Lately?

American Sniper. Go see that movie if you haven't.

RIP Jon & Chris

Juanote said:
American Sniper. Go see that movie if you haven't.

RIP Jon & Chris

Have you read the book?  For those that have, how does the movie stand up to the book?  How do his life experiences translate to the big screen?  I don't just mean the bang-bang, blow shit up action.  After reading the book, I'm not sure I'll like the movie if it's just about how good of a guy he was and 'Merica, and Hero and tragic death and all that.  

I read Lone Survivor in the same week.  Now, THAT is the way American Sniper should have been presented.  When I was done with LS, I set it down and just sat there outside at the table for about half an hour reflecting on the whole thing and what those men did and do go through.  

I haven't read the book. As you are in Europe where the movie has received some criticism I'd simply say that those who consider this a pro-war movie are buying into their own preconceptions. The costs are definitely counted and the grays are definitely explored. It is definitely a pro-duty pro-honor and pro-accountability movie though, and it is more about the life of a single man and his family than it is about the national experience of war.

I've both read and watched in that order. I was not aware of the real story, so was slammed by the ending of the movie.

Both were good.  The movie as always falls short in that it is very difficult to show what the characters are thinking and feeling.  

I'm actually in Hawaii, now, but that's neither here nor there.  I'm asking for my own viewpoint -- it really has little to do with any public perceptions or anything like that.  Honestly, when I was in Europe, I was very insulated (or isolated, I guess) from popular social outlooks.  I didn't have TV and I only found out local feelings and news when I actively sought it out.  I like life better that way!  :D  I'm a vet/medical retiree, myself, so I definitely understand the pro-duty thing.  

My sister texted me the other day emphatically imploring me to go see American Sniper.  I asked her if she read the book, and of course she hadn't.  She takes things at dramatic face value, and didn't really understand any of my questions and concerns about the story.  As a screenplay and cinematic artwork, I'm sure it is a great film.  I take nothing away from the subject of Chris Kyle's accomplishments:  he killed a lot of people who needed the killin', and he saved a lot of coalition lives, no doubt.  Post-service, he apparently did a lot of good for veterans.  For some reason she has a problem with Luttrell and Lone Survivor.  She says he "lied" and the movie wasn't true.  Wellll... first, it's Hollywood.  Of course there's a lot of dramatization.  American Sniper has a bunch of inaccuracies, as well.  That's why I don't put too much stock in movies.  Second, Chris Kyle has been accused as being slightly less than the bastion of truth, himself.  It's literature and film written and produced to make money.  Simple as that.  As for my own questions, Kyle (and/or his co-writers) presents himself in a certain light.  It's hard to explain, but seeing an action on a screen, even if it is the same as an action depicted in the book, often doesn't convey the same "internal description" as what you read.  We see what someone did, but there's not a true representation of why it was done, if that makes sense.  That can make a big difference in how you actually see the story.

On topic, I've been spending my nights on Netflix.  I recently watched "The Paperboy".  I like to go into movies knowing as little about them as possible, and I was left with my mouth agog when this one was over.  

If anyone enjoyed Mel Gibson's "Payback" from about 15 years ago, check out "Get The Gringo", if you haven't, already.  It could very well be (and may actually be) the unofficial sequel to Payback.  It's a different production company, so there are no familiar names, but Gibson's deadpan voice over, penchant for needing cigarettes, employment as a robber/wheel man, and a lot of other similarities are glaringly evident.  Gibson's character is never given a name, so it's not unreasonable to believe it truly is Porter.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

kann said:
I'm actually in Hawaii, now, but that's neither here nor there.  I'm asking for my own viewpoint -- it really has little to do with any public perceptions or anything like that.  Honestly, when I was in Europe, I was very insulated (or isolated, I guess) from popular social outlooks.  I didn't have TV and I only found out local feelings and news when I actively sought it out.  I like life better that way!  :D  I'm a vet/medical retiree, myself, so I definitely understand the pro-duty thing.  

My sister texted me the other day emphatically imploring me to go see American Sniper.  I asked her if she read the book, and of course she hadn't.  She takes things at dramatic face value, and didn't really understand any of my questions and concerns about the story.  As a screenplay and cinematic artwork, I'm sure it is a great film.  I take nothing away from the subject of Chris Kyle's accomplishments:  he killed a lot of people who needed the killin', and he saved a lot of coalition lives, no doubt.  Post-service, he apparently did a lot of good for veterans.  For some reason she has a problem with Luttrell and Lone Survivor.  She says he "lied" and the movie wasn't true.  Wellll... first, it's Hollywood.  Of course there's a lot of dramatization.  American Sniper has a bunch of inaccuracies, as well.  That's why I don't put too much stock in movies.  Second, Chris Kyle has been accused as being slightly less than the bastion of truth, himself.  It's literature and film written and produced to make money.  Simple as that.  As for my own questions, Kyle (and/or his co-writers) presents himself in a certain light.  It's hard to explain, but seeing an action on a screen, even if it is the same as an action depicted in the book, often doesn't convey the same "internal description" as what you read.  We see what someone did, but there's not a true representation of why it was done, if that makes sense.  That can make a big difference in how you actually see the story.
I have not read the book. No movie could ever be completely faithful to reality, and this one makes no apology for valuing emotional truth over a literal transposition of the facts. But my experience was that Bradley Cooper allowed the audience to feel who this man was, feel the gradually increasing toll of what he went through, and in the most respectful way possible allows room for the idea that maybe Chris Kyle's spoken point of view isn't the entire story either for him or anyone else. And he does that while still honoring the ethos that drove Kyle to do what he did without irony. So I consider the performance to be a major achievement in itself, and worth watching for that reason alone.

Beyond that my impression is that the movie is a very nuanced and honest portrayal of a warrior's experience of war, although the nuance can be subtle and understated. So some may perceive jingoism where Eastwood is actually allowing unresolved questions to hang open in ambiguity.

Interstellar....WOW! Was that a long ass movie. Nolan definitely is no Stanley Kubrick by any stretch. To me, the film lost its way about an hour in.

Anyone else see it? Thoughts?

It wasn't his best effort, but it had its moments.

Watched "Kingsman: The Secret Service". I thought it was quite fun. Quirky, a sort of constant tongue in cheek undertone, and an obvious homage to the Gadget Secret Agent Movies. Good cast too.

Don't hate but....."Fifty Shades of Grey". My wife read the books, which she loved, and wanted to see the movie so I took her. It sucked. Even she said so. 

AshesTwoAshes said:
Don't hate but....."Fifty Shades of Grey". My wife read the books, which she loved, and wanted to see the movie so I took her. It sucked. Even she said so. 

We already knew that the movie was going to be terrible.  More importantly, how was therest of your night after you both saw the movie?  ;)

Just finished John Wick.  I want to be John Wick when I grow up.  I'll sacrifice the dog if that's what it takes...

kann said:

We already knew that the movie was going to be terrible.  More importantly, how was therest of your night after you both saw the movie?   ;)

Just finished John Wick.  I want to be John Wick when I grow up.  I'll sacrifice the dog if that's what it takes...

Saw that last weekend with my son...could they set that movie up to make that guy's life any more miserable?  :laugh:

Yeah, I'd say he's back....

ironpeddler said:

We already knew that the movie was going to be terrible.  More importantly, how was therest of your night after you both saw the movie?   ;)

Saw that last weekend with my son...could they set that movie up to make that guy's life any more miserable?  :laugh:

Yeah, I'd say he's back....

Have you read Keanu's biography?  That guy's life makes John Wick's life look like Mary Poppins.

But yeah, watched both John Wick and Kingsmen last weekend; loved both.

It's not a film, but since last visiting here I knocked out all of House Of Cards on Netflix.  Anyone watch that?

Loved "Kingsman." Hilarious flick.  Watched it twice the weekend I had it in from Netflix---once by myself, once with my grandniece.

Just watched "The Dead Lands," which is streaming on Netflix now.  Stellar.  Maori film from New Zealand.  In Maori, with subtitles. Seriously bloody but a terrific watch.

~Boar

I've seen that advertised on Netflix.  I might give it a go tonight if I can't sleep.

22 Jump Street. Not quite as funny as the first one but there were still some parts that had me laughing like crazy.

Also wanted to mention Project Z. It's a post apocalyptic zombie TV show but it has some great twists along with a classic B-rated movie feel.

The new Mad Max and The Equalizer in the home theater. Talk about not letting the foot off the throttle. Both were fun, if not hyper-violent flicks.