• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Indy 500 2024

cohibasurfer

one day older than dirt
So.... I'm not a big race car guy. But I do watch the Indy 500.
Anyone have a car or driver they root for?
I guess I'll be rooting for the #17 car and Kyle Larson.

Memorial Day is quite important to me, personally, but from a sporting standpoint this is my favorite weekend of the year. The Indianapolis 500 is a religious experience. I hope that this year gets to go off in full, whether it is today or tomorrow. I almost want to see it rained out so that Kyle Larson can do the whole thing. I've been a fan of that kid since he started with Ganassi long before he ever had his first win. He's a pure racer, and I hope he gets to experience the full 500, even if he can't do the true double today/tonight.

I'd love to see Larson win it. Helio for 5, of course. Number 3 for Sato. I still can't believe Dixon only has a single 500 win -- I'd be happy to see him collect another. Pretty much the only driver I don't want to win is Herta, but he's my gut feeling for actually taking it home this weekend.

Personally, I root for the sport. Everyone in the field could win, and they all would have a great storyline. Penske getting #20 is a serious threat. It would be great to see AJ bag another W. Still can't believe Dixie only has one win here. Would really love to see Graham, Marcus or Katherine win from the back row! Mostly, I hope for a safe and entertaining race.

Kyle Larson for me as well as he’s the only driver I really know. From NASCAR races.

Larson is definitely a wheelman. When he got suspended from NASCAR, he went back to his roots and kicked ass in sprint cars. He was reinstated before the 2021 season started and went on to win the Championship that year. I think that if he gets in anything with a steering wheel, he can drive it as fast as humanly possible and compete for a win.

That being said, today I’m rooting for Newgarden. I think he’s a great driver, and is from about 30 miles from where we lived in Tennessee. Some people call him a cheater, but so was Tom Brady, and it worked out pretty good for him! 😁

Larson is definitely a wheelman. When he got suspended from NASCAR, he went back to his roots and kicked ass in sprint cars. He was reinstated before the 2021 season started and went on to win the Championship that year. I think that if he gets in anything with a steering wheel, he can drive it as fast as humanly possible and compete for a win.

That being said, today I’m rooting for Newgarden. I think he’s a great driver, and is from about 30 miles from where we lived in Tennessee. Some people call him a cheater, but so was Tom Brady, and it worked out pretty good for him! 😁
Newgarden is 10th (lap 148) ... looking good. Larson tripped on his dick.

I'm glad I was wrong on Herta! Good race, and I'm glad that Newgarden has a legitimate, uncontroversial win in the 500 now. Last year was such a shit show at the end. I'd have preferred Pato or Dixie to win, but is what is.

It was a very entertaining race and worth waiting all day to watch! Congrats to Josef for #2 and the Captain for #20!!

I was pulling for Larson. I've been a die hard Larson fan way before it was cool to pull for Larson.
Same. Well, I won't say die hard fan, but I've liked the dude for a long, long time. Way before he ever got his first win. The 18th place finish at Indy certainly doesn't reflect how he drove all day.

Same. Well, I won't say die hard fan, but I've liked the dude for a long, long time. Way before he ever got his first win. The 18th place finish at Indy certainly doesn't reflect how he drove all day.
The first interview he ever did in Nascar, I knew that dude was special (in a good way). I was a die hard Dale Sr. fan, naturally went to Dale Jr., and had to wait for the Dale Jr. show to end before I could start really support Larson. Lord knows Dale Jr. fans were screwed most of his career because he never tried (Jr. publicly spoke about this. Mostly because he was an Earnhardt so he never had to try). I couldn't wait for him to retire. I started puling for Larson and never looked back. I was done with Nascar when he got in trouble, but it came out to his benefit in the end. If Larson had Hendrick cars his whole career, he'd have stats up there with Gordon, J. Johnson, etc. a long with multiple championships.

And no, 18th doesn't reflect the day he had.

Last edited:
I got into NASCAR when a buddy of mine asked me to come over and watch a race with him. Part way through the race, I said “dude, this is boring”. He insisted that if I picked a driver to root for, it would be much more fun. I said “which driver races kind of dirty, is an asshole, and people don’t like”. He said Dale Sr., I said ok, and Sr. won the race. I was hooked!

When Sr. died, I had already decided that Jr. was worthless. So the next asshole in line was Tony Stewart. I became a huge fan of his. The next race at Bristol, I had hot-passes and ran across him in the pits. I very politely asked him if he could sign my straw cowboy hat. He literally ignored me. I mean acted like I wasn’t even there. As I stood there in disbelief, he signed 3 other guys hats and 2 die cast cars. He didn’t sign my hat because it didn’t say Tony Stewart on it. That night while everyone was sitting around the campfire, I went and got everything that had his name on it and threw it all in the fire. Hats, t-shirts, a couple flags, and a really nice pit jacket (yes, there was an abundance of moonshine involved)! I was done with him.

So on to the next rookie asshole, Kyle Busch. Man, it was so much fun rooting for him! Again, at Bristol, he swept all 3 races that weekend. Everyone was booing him after the Cup race. Except me! It felt like I was the only person in the Last Great Colosseum than was standing up and cheering! Now, NASCAR has made all of the drivers into pussies, and I rarely follow it anymore. I still usually have it on the TV on Sundays, but it’s just background noise while I’m doing other things. I did enjoy Busch’s fight with Stenhouse though! Ricky was the dark horse driver that I pulled for.

We were lucky enough to see races at Darlington (1), Kansas (3), Talledega (4), Iowa (2), and Bristol twice a year (16). We had a great time right up until the last few races. After the third Bristol Sunday race in a row got postponed until Monday because of rain, and we couldn’t stay due to work, we decided that our vacation money should be used for trips with more value and return on investment…

And that’s my novel about NASCAR!

IMG_2658.jpeg10622875_10205127331172511_1244732534725510791_n.jpeg

I got into NASCAR when a buddy of mine asked me to come over and watch a race with him. Part way through the race, I said “dude, this is boring”. He insisted that if I picked a driver to root for, it would be much more fun. I said “which driver races kind of dirty, is an asshole, and people don’t like”. He said Dale Sr., I said ok, and Sr. won the race. I was hooked!

When Sr. died, I had already decided that Jr. was worthless. So the next asshole in line was Tony Stewart. I became a huge fan of his. The next race at Bristol, I had hot-passes and ran across him in the pits. I very politely asked him if he could sign my straw cowboy hat. He literally ignored me. I mean acted like I wasn’t even there. As I stood there in disbelief, he signed 3 other guys hats and 2 die cast cars. He didn’t sign my hat because it didn’t say Tony Stewart on it. That night while everyone was sitting around the campfire, I went and got everything that had his name on it and threw it all in the fire. Hats, t-shirts, a couple flags, and a really nice pit jacket (yes, there was an abundance of moonshine involved)! I was done with him.

So on to the next rookie asshole, Kyle Busch. Man, it was so much fun rooting for him! Again, at Bristol, he swept all 3 races that weekend. Everyone was booing him after the Cup race. Except me! It felt like I was the only person in the Last Great Colosseum than was standing up and cheering! Now, NASCAR has made all of the drivers into pussies, and I rarely follow it anymore. I still usually have it on the TV on Sundays, but it’s just background noise while I’m doing other things. I did enjoy Busch’s fight with Stenhouse though! Ricky was the dark horse driver that I pulled for.

We were lucky enough to see races at Darlington (1), Kansas (3), Talledega (4), Iowa (2), and Bristol twice a year (16). We had a great time right up until the last few races. After the third Bristol Sunday race in a row got postponed until Monday because of rain, and we couldn’t stay due to work, we decided that our vacation money should be used for trips with more value and return on investment…

And that’s my novel about NASCAR!

View attachment 82315View attachment 82317
Good lord, how many car accidents were you in after meeting Ricky Wreckhouse? Haha

One more NASCAR story and I’ll quit…

I was wandering around in the pits pre-race at Bristol and saw this monstrous fellow standing by himself just looking around. So me being me, I went over and started chatting with him. As the conversation drifted along, I said “didn’t you play football?”. He said “uhhh, yes, I happen to be a Super Bowl Champion. My name is Tony Siragusa, but you can just call me Tony. What’s your name?” I responded “dawg, but you can just call me dawg”. He thought that was hilarious!

So we hung out for a while. As he was getting ready to head out, I said “hey, we’re camped right outside of Turn 1. There’s about 30 of us, and we like to have fun!”. He said “yeah, ok”. I thought riiiiight. About 3 hours later, here he comes into our camp on a golf cart. At the top of his lungs, he screams “DAWG! I BROUGHT TREATS!”, and proceeded to unload 8 Mason jars of some of the best ‘shine I’d ever had!

He hung out for about 3 hours and just visited with everybody. As he was leaving, he pulled me aside and said “I want to thank you for inviting me. I had a great time, and everyone talked to me like a regular ol’ guy. Not one person even asked me about football. It was so refreshing to just sit around and shoot the shit and relax, and not have to be “on””. Then he gave me a great big bear hug that I thought was going to break my back, got on his golf cart and headed out.

Here’s a couple pics…and yes, that’s the cowboy hat that that fucker Tony Stewart wouldn’t sign!

Rest in peace Tony, I am glad we met…

IMG_2660.jpegIMG_5529.jpeg

If anyone is interested in more IndyCar, the Detroit Grand Prix is this weekend. This is the second season it is on the schedule, and last year (its debut) Detroit was one of the best races of the season. I thought it was going to be a complete shit show, but I was very wrong. If you have Peacock, there's a whole weekend of racing from Detroit with IMSA and Indy NXT (the lower tier ladder series for IndyCar).

Well, Newgarden shit the bed, but Ericsson was fun to watch during the last 20 laps!