• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Initial impressions - Padron 46th Anniversary

BlindedByScience

Proud Father of a Kearney, NE LEO
Staff member
Gentlemen - I got my box of Padron 46th Anniversary smokes today, and wanted to offer my initial impression of the first one I smoked.

Thanks to our good friend Israel at Uptown Cigars, I got a box that was 1/2 natural wrapper, 1/2 maduro. As the nattys were on top, they were the first one I smoked, Let me apologize for the conspicuous lack of pictures; it's been a busy time around here so the camera is still packed and is more than a little hard to find.....:p

Let's get the usual stuff out first...the construction was flawless. No surprise here; the guys at Padron know full well how to make a wonderful cigar. Punched with the big size on my Victronix tool, it drew like a champ. Not a touch up required; it smoked perfectly, from foot to ash. The draw was absolute perfection, stem to stern.

So...how did it taste?

I've always been a fan of the natty anniversary smokes from Padron. Not that I don't love the maduros, but the nattys to me offer up the best indication of the essence of the smoke. And, what an essence it was. Just....flawless. No sugar or spice or chocolate or fruits or berries or any nonsense like that....just flawlessly awesome tobacco. Perfectly blended, perfectly fermented. A wonderfully straight forward, absolutely perfect smoke. I mean that; I don't have any comment to offer other than this was perhaps one of the best smokes I've had all year. Draw after draw was an explosion of pure tobacco taste, and the wonderful complexity of a great, solid, straight forward smoke. I smoked it to the nub and I can't say the flavors "progressed' much as the taste from start to finish was....incredible. The ample ring gage no doubt contributed to the draw and the burn, but at no time was it "overwhelming"......it just gave it up in terms of a wonderful, awesome smoke. Sort of a cross between a '64 and some of the nicely aged '26's I have in the cabinet. It was interesting without being distracting. My beverage was a big glass of water and the cigar delivered completely. Wow....something special, to be sure.

Was it "worth it"....I would say....without question. Now, I'm not lucky enough to enjoy a smoke of this caliber every day, but here's what I would suggest: If you want an awesome smoke, one that will remind you why we smoke cigars, this one will deliver without compromise. As I type this, the taste is still rolling around on my tongue, reminding me of the completely flawless tastes and wonderful blend that kept my rapt attention for about an hour. An absolute, complete "ace" in my book. Do yourself a favor - get one and take it out for a test drive....my guess is that you will NOT be disappointed....:thumbs:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Nice review. What is the retail on these bad boys? Is it in line with the 45th?

I really do not think you can go wrong with a Padron. Good to great smokes in many price ranges gets them a :thumbs:. The 45th i smoked for my birthday was outstanding!

Thanks for the awesome review, my mouth got watery :laugh:

Sounds like a good cigar.

Great review BBS. Thanks for sharing the experience. This cigar is definitely in my future.

Hey BBS how would you say these do these compare to the natural 45's?

Thanks BBS. I myself have had some good fortunes from a shop with that same name. With the 45s, I found that the natty was much more enjoyable then the maduro to me. And I usually smoke maduros more than not. But the Natty 45 was just a great smoke, exactly as you described; the reason we smoke cigars...I will have to give the 46 a chance soon.

Thanks for putting thoughts into words.

Hey BBS how would you say these do these compare to the natural 45's?
To my scorched taste buds, the 45's had lots more zip to them, more pepper on the front of the tounge than the 46's do. Make no mistake, they are both supurb, premium cigars, but there are indeed differences. Wonderful differences.....:love:

Thanks BBS. I myself have had some good fortunes from a shop with that same name. With the 45s, I found that the natty was much more enjoyable then the maduro to me. And I usually smoke maduros more than not. But the Natty 45 was just a great smoke, exactly as you described; the reason we smoke cigars...I will have to give the 46 a chance soon.

Thanks for putting thoughts into words.
The Padron family blends such wonderful cigars that I have to say I probably prefer the natural wrapper premium smokes. No doubt, the maduros are great, and I smoke maduros, but there is something about the simple taste of the natural wrapper I find very appealing. I have a box of '26 #2's in natural that are also amazing smokes.....:cool:

I've been waiting for something on this cigar. Excellent description. I'll have to get a couple. Thanks BBS.

I have only had a handful of Padrons. I will have to start to try my favs in natural.

Thanks BBS.

To my scorched taste buds, the 45's had lots more zip to them, more pepper on the front of the tounge than the 46's do. Make no mistake, they are both supurb, premium cigars, but there are indeed differences. Wonderful differences.....:love:

Ha! Looks like I have something to work towards.

I have no idea what I was smoking earlier today ( :rolleyes: ) but the reason I was asking is because I recently had a 45 that fell very flat but it was a maduro not a natural. As it was a Padron, which the few I have had have wowed me to no end, I have been racking my brain to determine the problem.

Either way I am wondering if the 70% that it was stored/smoked at caused the problem with burn, need to relight and overall offputting flavor. I have CC's that I keep at 65% but I might start dryboxing my NC's for a couple of days prior to smoking them too.

I always keep my Padrons around 73% RH. That might make the flavors more developed.

Very nice review, Tom. Got a box of the maduros resting. After your review, I'll be smoking one of these bad boys PDQ.