• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Interesting article about David Spade

Just what we need more heavily armed police. To fight a "drug war".

Just some light reading.
Links.

Police Raid Mayor's Home

Unrelated but along a similar thread.

Police Shoot "Vicious" Dog

Dude I am not a fan of assault rifles but if the bad guys got em then I want the good guys to have them too.
These law enforcement guys are out gunned and under appreciated. Maybe if they got more respect from people like you then maybe their jobs would be just a little easier.

edited to add

Way to go Spade.

And based on the articles linked therein, you are constructing a case for arming upstanding local citizens with assault rifles instead of police?
The articles I linked weren't so much a case FOR arming citizens, rather a case AGAINST over-arming police.

I have seen the first article linked several times now across several different boards as a purported sign of police ineptitude. >>>> It is unfortunate in that the police entry team likely felt reasonably threatened by the dogs - who were likely just innocently trying to defend their home.

Regarding the first article, I think it is a clear sign of police ineptitude (at least in THIS city), this is the mayor we're talking about here, there was never any need for a military-style raid. He is a VERY public figure who isn't just going to skip town and run. Besides that, assuming the mayor (who is an obviously biased source) is to be trusted, the article clearly says "As the police came in, Calvo said, they shot his 7-year-old black Labrador retriever, Payton, near the front door and then his 4-year-old dog, Chase, also a black Lab, as the dog ran into a back room." The first dog ok maybe he went after them, but the second dog was retreating according to the article. I also have no question that a human life is worth more than a canine's, and if it is SOP is to kill the dogs even in retreat, well it is what it is. Souldog could comment here perhaps, he seems to know more that I do on this subject. If there are too many variables to account for I understand and will take you at your word.

Ugh... Just...ugh. I just can't even imagine what field experience you have dealing with situations where you're out-gunned and not protected. Don't listen to the media too much, because we live in a day and age where bad news sells. We have thousands of men and women overseas defending your right to make this comment, but the minute one soldier crosses a moral line (which they shouldn't, and yes it is wrong), all of a sudden ALL U.S. Soldiers are murderers and should be put on trial for their "crimes."

FYI: I don't let the mainstream media form my opinions for me so you have nothing to worry about there. As far as soldiers who are fighting to defend America go, I never brought them into this. I'll just say I'm a big fan of people who fight to defend freedom, whether with guns or words.

Same go with the Police. I just, I can't wrap my mind around your comment. Tell that to the 131 families who lost their loved ones to gunfire in 2008. Tell that to the 10,479 Officers' families' who have died at the hands of gunmen over the past 217 years. That's an average of 49 Officers dead each year.

I have no arguments with this. I don't want police officers to be killed doing their jobs. I don't want them to be forced to kill anyone either while doing their job. Maybe their job doesn't have to be as dangerous as it is...

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and if so that's ok. As an American citizen I have a right to protect myself and my property (home, pets, etc), and "law enforcement officers" who enter my property without appropriate legal authority are criminals. Everything this country is about centers around individual people, the moment I give up my rights for a little bit of comfort or because it's easier to do that we lose what so many people have fought and died for. With that said, I understand that officers are human beings and make mistakes, but when the consequences of a mistake are so severe, and the benefits of the policies which set the stage for these mistakes are questionable then it may be time to do a risk/benefit analysis and see if what we're doing is really worth it.
Going back to my statement about the guns being distributed to upstanding citizens I was in no way implying they should be enforcing the law, simply that 100k worth of guns being carried by private citizens would IN MY OPINION be a large deterrent to gang violence spilling over into the general population. What gang-banger wants to mess with Mr. and Mrs. Jones when they may have an AR-15 in the house. As an added benefit it might deter overzealous LEO's from coming after Fido unprovoked if Fido's owner might be ready defend his property with lethal force. Also, it might help officers be sure they have the right address before breaking people's doors down. See no-knock raid, or no-knock raid 2. I see more and more of these types of stories all the time, and they come from liberal and conservative sources from all over the country. From what I've personally read the elderly woman in Atlanta is the only one who has been killed from this type of activity that I can recall, but it seems to be only a matter of time before more accidents occur.

Ery

Hey Souldog....tip 'o the hat to you Brother....you keep fighting the good fight. Don't be a prick and go rogue...too many of your brothers doing that for you. I have a house full of firearms, most legal, a couple not-so-much, but all of them well kept and I have two cop buddies that approve all the way (military with me, but Law Enforcement nonetheless). Too many assclowns out in the world for there not to be hard dudes with the ability to shoot straight and heavy enough. You keep your powder dry, Brother and know that there are plenty of citizens that understand. It's a fucking hard job and just by definition, you're "that guy". I don't envy you, but I've got your six. Make sure you keep straight in your head who the good guys are, and treat them accordingly during your career. We're all around you, and we know what's up.

Trey

I also have no question that a human life is worth more than a canine's, and if it is SOP is to kill the dogs even in retreat, well it is what it is. Souldog could comment here perhaps, he seems to know more that I do on this subject. If there are too many variables to account for I understand and will take you at your word.

It is not SOP to shoot a fleeing dog. In my department's MOU, which I understand may change from department to department and state to state, if a dog is posing as a threat that may cause serious bodily harm (AKA baring it's teeth while running STRAIGHT at you), you are authorized to use the force necessary to neutralize the threat. This may mean using a pepperball gun, a beanbag round, or the unfortunate use of a shotgun round. I will say (from personal experience) having a hundred pound pissed off dog foaming at the mouth and running at you makes you hold your breath, and certain body parts jump up into certain nether-regions, and you think in your mind, "Aw shit...this is gonna hurt." Thank God I've never been bitten, but it's a serious heart-jumper!

I have no arguments with this. I don't want police officers to be killed doing their jobs. I don't want them to be forced to kill anyone either while doing their job. Maybe their job doesn't have to be as dangerous as it is...
Thank you for saying that, seriously. As far as the job being dangerous, I know where you're coming from, and the optimistic part of me wants to believe in that happening where the common man looks out for his neighbor and we all protect one another and we don't need a Police Department to enforce laws, but unfortunately as a society we're not seeing this. Crime rates continue to rise. People are desperate in this economic crisis and violent crime is on the rise. If it's going to happen, it's not happening anytime soon based on what we're seeing.

Just last week I had a young kid bleed out while I was working on him in an alley of a populated apartment complex at 1300 hours in the afternoon. He had a gunshot wound to the ribs, and a bullet go through his skull (obviously I didn't find out about the headshot until afterwards when they cleaned him up). The point is that on a Saturday in the middle of the day, about 30 people stood around watching it while this young kid bled out from being caught in the middle of a drug deal gone bad crossfire, and only one person called the Police, and nobody helped this kid. It's a reality right now.

As an American citizen I have a right to protect myself and my property (home, pets, etc), and "law enforcement officers" who enter my property without appropriate legal authority are criminals.

This is a true statement. If the Police are entering your home, truly without legal reason, then you have a right to protect yourself. Firing upon a Police Officer, however, is not the wisest thing to do in a situation like that. I say "truly without a reason" because there are so many federal laws, city laws, and city statutes that the average citizen does not know about, and firing upon the Police "in defense" of your home is not a good idea.

With that said, I understand that officers are human beings and make mistakes, but when the consequences of a mistake are so severe, and the benefits of the policies which set the stage for these mistakes are questionable then it may be time to do a risk/benefit analysis and see if what we're doing is really worth it.
I read that link, and from what I gather, the Police were serving a "No Knock” warrant. I am not a fan of that type, and that's why I am glad we don't have them in CA. But, regardless, the Police announced themselves, opened the door of the location, and we're immediately fired upon. From the article:

Dreher said as soon as the officers forced open the door, Johnston shot at the officers and the officers returned fire to protect themselves. One officer was shot 3 times – once in the leg, on the side of the face and once in his bulletproof vest. One officer was hit in the leg and another hit in their arm.

So, we have a known "drug house" in the city, and a warrant was granted. This means a Judge, who was elected by THE PEOPLE city/county/etc. and is an un-biased third party removed from the situation, reviewed the circumstances surrounding the need for a warrant to enter the location, and granted it. Then, three Officers show up to the house to serve the warrant, ANNOUNCE THEMSELVES, enter, and five shots are fired at the Officers by a female occupant inside the house. All five of the rounds hit the Officers, wounding three. The Officers fire back at the female occupant and neutralize the threat. Take away the "92 year old elderly woman" spin to the story, and look at it from an objective point of view.

Another true story: One Officer attempts to conduct a traffic stop on a vehicle that ran a stop sign. The vehicle fails to yield for several miles, and a pursuit situation is relayed to the Supervisor. Two other Officers join in on the pursuit. The pursuit goes for approximately 8 miles when the driver of the vehicle stops in a remote area near a house. The driver of the vehicle exits the vehicle and runs north from the three Officers' position. As the three Officers cover the vehicle, automatic gunfire erupts from north of the location. Several rounds hit the Police units, and wound one Officer, piercing his body armor. What do the Officers do? Fire back in self-defense, and neutralize the threat. That happened last July, and it was pitch-black. Could the Officers tell whether it was a 12 year old, a 30 year old female, or a 93 year old man? Nope. All they knew is that rounds were flying past their heads, hit one of their buddies, and if they wanted to go home and stop one of those rifle rounds from hitting a kid 5 blocks away, the threat had to be neutralized. It's a sticky situation, and it sucked, but it has to happen. I don't know one guy on the force in my department who can honestly tell you he likes killing people. Without getting too personal, more than I already have, it's something you deal with when it's quiet and no one's around. It's a reality of the job. It's not fun, but it happens.

Like I said, I appreciate your position, and I admire your conviction. It is your right to say it, and many folks like myself are sworn to protect that right. Frankly, you're handling this like a gentleman and I respect that. I wish we could live in a society where war and violence didn't exist, because my family and many many others would sleep easier at night. ;)

Hey Souldog....tip 'o the hat to you Brother....you keep fighting the good fight. Don't be a prick and go rogue...too many of your brothers doing that for you. I have a house full of firearms, most legal, a couple not-so-much, but all of them well kept and I have two cop buddies that approve all the way (military with me, but Law Enforcement nonetheless). Too many assclowns out in the world for there not to be hard dudes with the ability to shoot straight and heavy enough. You keep your powder dry, Brother and know that there are plenty of citizens that understand. It's a fucking hard job and just by definition, you're "that guy". I don't envy you, but I've got your six. Make sure you keep straight in your head who the good guys are, and treat them accordingly during your career. We're all around you, and we know what's up.

Trey

Trey, you crack me up man! I liked the "couple not-so-much" comment! :laugh: I'll be honest, I wish every citizen knew how to fire a weapon and safely carry one. I really do. It's our Constitutional freakin' right to bear arms, but gun control is an interesting thing that I won't get into because it violates the rules of this board. That said, I know you're out there too Trey, so I've got your six too brother, believe that...

I am completely in agreement with Ery and you Trey, and I want to be clear: I have no problems with the average citizen bearing arms. It got us out of tyrannical rule, and we have that right, and I wish more citizens would invoke that right!

<3 for you souldog. I'm going to PM you something, it's probably a bit too political for open discussion, but I want your opinion on it.

Crime rates continue to rise. People are desperate in this economic crisis and violent crime is on the rise.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

I am by no means saying eliminate police, but cut out the bullshit you guys have to deal with. A vast majority of our laws are truly unenforceable. Take speed limits for example, almost everyone speeds except for the first few hours after they get a ticket. The punishment just isn't severe enough to deter the supposed "crime". You would have to up the penalties to levels disproportionate to the crime to make the risk of getting caught speeding so severe people wouldn't do it. The same is true of many other "crimes". IMO officers need to be freed from enforcing moral and regulatory laws to deal with truly violent crimes: abuse, murder, rape, etc. As a nice bonus this would really help cops reputations :) Instead of trying to avoid or dodge cops you'd really appreciate the important work being done.

Just last week I had a young kid bleed out while I was working on him in an alley of a populated apartment complex at 1300 hours in the afternoon. He had a gunshot wound to the ribs, and a bullet go through his skull (obviously I didn't find out about the headshot until afterwards when they cleaned him up). The point is that on a Saturday in the middle of the day, about 30 people stood around watching it while this young kid bled out from being caught in the middle of a drug deal gone bad crossfire, and only one person called the Police, and nobody helped this kid. It's a reality right now.

This is unbelievable to me, but the lack of concern for other humans seems standard in today's world.

This is a true statement. If the Police are entering your home, truly without legal reason, then you have a right to protect yourself. Firing upon a Police Officer, however, is not the wisest thing to do in a situation like that. I say "truly without a reason" because there are so many federal laws, city laws, and city statutes that the average citizen does not know about, and firing upon the Police "in defense" of your home is not a good idea.
In today's environment I can think of virtually no situation where I would fire upon an officer entering my home who has announced himself (and is clearly marked as an officer of the law). If our ever expanding executive branch continues to infringe on my rights that may change.

I read that link, and from what I gather, the Police were serving a "No Knock” warrant.

That is what I gathered as well. I see a huge problem with these as a policy for police departments across the country. I'm afraid they will become more and more common place and incidents like this will continue to happen. As far as the spin goes let me spin it the other way. A 92 year old hearing impaired lady with poor eye-sight had her home broken into by 5 unidentified people with weapons... there are countless ways this can go bad. My only point with this article is how quickly military-style raids with weak intelligence can go bad VERY quickly for all parties involved.

Another true story: One Officer attempts to conduct a traffic stop on a vehicle that ran a stop sign. The vehicle fails to yield for several miles, and a pursuit situation is relayed to the Supervisor. Two other Officers join in on the pursuit. The pursuit goes for approximately 8 miles when the driver of the vehicle stops in a remote area near a house. The driver of the vehicle exits the vehicle and runs north from the three Officers' position. As the three Officers cover the vehicle, automatic gunfire erupts from north of the location. Several rounds hit the Police units, and wound one Officer, piercing his body armor. What do the Officers do? Fire back in self-defense, and neutralize the threat. That happened last July, and it was pitch-black. Could the Officers tell whether it was a 12 year old, a 30 year old female, or a 93 year old man? Nope. All they knew is that rounds were flying past their heads, hit one of their buddies, and if they wanted to go home and stop one of those rifle rounds from hitting a kid 5 blocks away, the threat had to be neutralized. It's a sticky situation, and it sucked, but it has to happen.
This sucks and there is no good answer as to how to resolve it. Somebody loses no matter what is done. This is what happens when you're fighting a "war on drugs" in your own streets.

I don't know one guy on the force in my department who can honestly tell you he likes killing people. Without getting too personal, more than I already have, it's something you deal with when it's quiet and no one's around. It's a reality of the job. It's not fun, but it happens.

I can't imagine having actually killed someone. I have just recently gotten my first handgun and have thought many times if I'm really ready to use it if I have to. I suppose it's something you'll never know until you're in that situation, which I pray I never am.

Like I said, I appreciate your position, and I admire your conviction. It is your right to say it, and many folks like myself are sworn to protect that right.

As aforementioned I like to insure that you and your brethren uphold the Constitution with a healthy dose of the Second Amendment.

I am completely in agreement with Ery and you Trey, and I want to be clear: I have no problems with the average citizen bearing arms. It got us out of tyrannical rule, and we have that right, and I wish more citizens would invoke that right!

I was comparing citizens bearing arms with the cold war the other day. If more people concealed carried daily (or were allowed to by their local governments- NYC and DC pop into my mind) then violent crimes would go down dramatically. It's the threat of mutually assured destruction. If people who were about to assault or rob someone thought there was a 50/50 chance they'd have a gun pulled on them, then I wholeheartedly think that most pre-meditated gun crimes wouldn't happen. And I think the decrease in pre-meditated crimes would MORE than offset the spur of the moment-jealous-lover type crimes that might increase. I hope I haven't gone too far off the deep end, but the whole drug war thing is one of my hot button issues. It ties into my legit drug dealing so intimately that I can't stay out of it.

Let me re-iterate the fact that I respect yours and all police officer's work souldog. I just think there's a better way for citizens and cops that doesn't involve body armor, tazers, and assault rifles :)

Ery -- who is much more mellow after a glass of Glenlivet 18 year and a Pinar Del Rio Oscuro :thumbs:

Regarding the first article, I think it is a clear sign of police ineptitude (at least in THIS city), this is the mayor we're talking about here, there was never any need for a military-style raid. He is a VERY public figure who isn't just going to skip town and run. Besides that, assuming the mayor (who is an obviously biased source) is to be trusted, the article clearly says "As the police came in, Calvo said, they shot his 7-year-old black Labrador retriever, Payton, near the front door and then his 4-year-old dog, Chase, also a black Lab, as the dog ran into a back room." The first dog ok maybe he went after them, but the second dog was retreating according to the article. I also have no question that a human life is worth more than a canine's, and if it is SOP is to kill the dogs even in retreat, well it is what it is. Souldog could comment here perhaps, he seems to know more that I do on this subject. If there are too many variables to account for I understand and will take you at your word.
There are two points to address here:
(1) Why isn't there a need for a "military-style raid"? Because he's the mayor? I readily concede your point that he is the mayor and is thus more apt to have ties to the community and is therefore less likely to skip town. But what about preservation of evidence? He's got a 32 pound block o' weed in his house. Can't you envision the image of the police politely knocking on his door and asking to come in, only to hear the following: "Who is it? Flush. Oh, the police? Flush. I'll be right there. Flush. Just let me put on some clothes. Flush flush flush."
(2) As for the assertion the police shot a dog who was innocently running away from them.... I can only point out point of view context. The mayor said that. That doesn't make it true. There is no evidence alluded to in the article which supports that statement. It seems contrived to garner public sentiment against the police's actions against the mayor.
Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and if so that's ok. As an American citizen I have a right to protect myself and my property (home, pets, etc), and "law enforcement officers" who enter my property without appropriate legal authority are criminals. Everything this country is about centers around individual people, the moment I give up my rights for a little bit of comfort or because it's easier to do that we lose what so many people have fought and died for.
I'm gonna agree with you on this one, but I'd strongly suggest that this is best determined in a courtroom setting after the fact. It is wise to submit to police directions rather than attempt to debate their lawful authority during the course of their business and one's interactions with them.

I am by no means saying eliminate police, but cut out the bullshit you guys have to deal with. A vast majority of our laws are truly unenforceable. Take speed limits for example, almost everyone speeds except for the first few hours after they get a ticket. The punishment just isn't severe enough to deter the supposed "crime". You would have to up the penalties to levels disproportionate to the crime to make the risk of getting caught speeding so severe people wouldn't do it. The same is true of many other "crimes". IMO officers need to be freed from enforcing moral and regulatory laws to deal with truly violent crimes: abuse, murder, rape, etc. As a nice bonus this would really help cops reputations :) Instead of trying to avoid or dodge cops you'd really appreciate the important work being done.
I am no fan of many laws of moral turpitude, commonly known as "vice laws". They are often Puritanical in origin and many times have no purpose other than to control the "immoral" actions of others - a highly subjective criterion. That being said, I would argue your example of "truly unenforceable" laws (i.e. speed limits, et al) are where police provide most of their benefit to society. Very few people are by nature murderers and rapists. It is in providing order and upholding basic societal structure wherin police provide the greatest benefit to the majority of people. Sure, people speed. Have you ever thought about just how little regard people would have for traffic laws if there were little to no enforcement of them? Your thoughts on the importance of enforcing such "truly unenforceable" laws might change if, for example, your own child was struck by an errant driver when crossing the street from their school. My point being, the threat of enforcement keeps the majority of drivers in line with the laws for the most part.

If more people concealed carried daily (or were allowed to by their local governments- NYC and DC pop into my mind) then violent crimes would go down dramatically. It's the threat of mutually assured destruction. If people who were about to assault or rob someone thought there was a 50/50 chance they'd have a gun pulled on them, then I wholeheartedly think that most pre-meditated gun crimes wouldn't happen. And I think the decrease in pre-meditated crimes would MORE than offset the spur of the moment-jealous-lover type crimes that might increase.
Conversely, many "Wild West" towns, rampant with violent crime, found it advantageous to disarm their populace within municipal boundaries. It exponentially reduced their violent crime. But that doesn't in itself make a case for disarming everyone. I think you may be discounting the culture of individual areas. Some areas are well versed with firearms. It fits within their embedded culture. Areas of wide expanse and a history of hunting, for example. Washington DC, not so much. On a country by country level, let's compare two countries wherein firearms are prohibited for the general populace. Mexico and South Korea. Mexico prohibits firearms and is hellaciously rampant with gun crimes. No joke, it's a war within its borders. South Korea prohibits firearms and nary a peep about gun crimes there. Two different cultures; two different results.

Conversely, many "Wild West" towns, rampant with violent crime, found it advantageous to disarm their populace within municipal boundaries. It exponentially reduced their violent crime. But that doesn't in itself make a case for disarming everyone. I think you may be discounting the culture of individual areas. Some areas are well versed with firearms. It fits within their embedded culture. Areas of wide expanse and a history of hunting, for example. Washington DC, not so much. On a country by country level, let's compare two countries wherein firearms are prohibited for the general populace. Mexico and South Korea. Mexico prohibits firearms and is hellaciously rampant with gun crimes. No joke, it's a war within its borders. South Korea prohibits firearms and nary a peep about gun crimes there. Two different cultures; two different results.

Haven't ever thought of it this way. I live in the South and pretty much always have. Guns are just a way of life here.

Ery

Edit: Also the reason I picked speed limits as one of the wastes of time for police officers was this article about traffic anarchy which I at some time in the past. How fast would you really go on a road with no speed limit. Most people's crappy cars start shaking at 90. I know many would buy sports cars and take them to 140, but are they gonna do that in their neighborhood or on a nice straight piece of highway. As far as speeding in subdivisions or neigborhoods... most people do anyway because there is very little enforcement there.

Way too much shit to read.

So true!

But really, it's very simple. If we stop treating uneducated, criminally minded, idiots like "special children" these issue all go away. End political correctness and crime will be manageable by our law enforcement.

And then there is Switzerland where everybody goes to their military and every home has guns and knows how to use them. They have virtually no crime :thumbs:

I'm not a fan of Mr. Spade's work, but I sure do like his style! It's sad when a municipality can't afford to protect it's protectors.
I AM a big fan of the 2nd Amendment.

Random comments:
I'll take an AR-15, or an AK-47, or preferably a FN PS 90. Government sponsored too? Yes sir! Any of those would go well with either of my Saiga .308's.
I have multiple handguns, too. My Smith & Wesson is within reach. I don't mean to make light of killing. However, defending oneself is a different matter. THOU SHALL NOT MURDER. A relative is a retired police chief, it was mentioned few officers stay on the force very long after a fatality. The world is full of humans, and mistakes are made, but I'd like to have a cop on my street corner.

Mr. Einstein didn't have a computer!

Either one of my 25 year old Mercedes' were designed to cruise at a speed limited only by the engine (diesel). How about loud music from cars? Unenforceable? You bet.

My motto nowdays is:
Always, ALWAYS cooperate fully with the Police and nobody gets hurt.
the Officers usually understand your situation, and are quite nice to you if you are nice to them, even if they are arresting you.
Kudo's to David Spade, we can't let the cops be outgunned.

And then there is Switzerland where everybody goes to their military and every home has guns and knows how to use them. They have virtually no crime :thumbs:

Switzerland has one of the strongest economies in the world. They also have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the world. That's a much more significant reason for Switzerland's lack of crime.

There are many countries around the world where the population is unarmed and living with far lower rates of crime than here in the U.S. Different countries, different cultures, different problems.

Gun violence is a terrible problem in the United States. Our yearly gun deaths are 8 times higher than all other developed countries combined. I think that statistic alone is proof that everyone arming themselves is not the answer.

Cops, on the other hand, are extensively trained to use firearms. So, good for David Spade.

Gun violence is a terrible problem in the United States. Our yearly gun deaths are 8 times higher than all other developed countries combined. I think that statistic alone is proof that everyone arming themselves is not the answer.

Well I think that's hardly conclusive proof. In DC where virtually "nobody" is supposed to have handguns besides police their gun violence is drastically higher than in other armed cities around the US. Also everyone isn't armed in the US either :). Remember, if guns are outlawed... only outlaws will have guns, or something to that effect.

Ery

edit: changed some wording

Well I think that's a weak statistic. In DC where "nobody" is supposed to have guns besides police their gun violence is drastically higher than in other armed cities around the US. Also everyone isn't armed in the US either :). Remember, if guns are outlawed... only outlaws will have guns, or something to that effect.

Ery

Well, pick any statistic you want, I guess. Each one of them will show that gun violence is a problem in the U.S. Anyone can debate the solutions, but the problem, hardly.

I don't believe guns should be outlawed, and I wasn't trying to say everyone in the U.S. is armed. Switzerland does not have the same social problems that we have.

I love the ignorance of the media. "high powered" rifles huh? So what are we talking here, FA 375 H&H's?

They're AR-15s, if you read the article. So how would you describe them in relation to what the cops already have and to a public that probably knows little about weapons in general?

Oh I know they were talking AR's. How would I describe them? "Tactical rifles", or simply AR-15's. Im not much on "buzz words" like "high powered assault rifles". A simple explanation that the tactical rifles are there to supplement the side arms normally carried by officers would have suited me fine. By my reckoning of "high power" I would have thought they received .308 M-14's or something...not a .223. But again, I know better than that when reading media reports.

Sure, a yugo is faster and more powerfull than say.....a lawnmower. Still dosnt mean its "high" powered :D

I'm not sure what I have to add (probably nothing of value), but having travelled and lived in a lot of different places, I'm really struck by different attitudes towards policing.

In Europe the police presence is very different. It's not unusual to see cops on foot patrol. It's also not unusual for the police to use physical force to make an arrest and/or keep the peace, to an extent that I would find quite unusual and out of place in North America.

(For what it's worth, there are usually two, parallel police forces in european countries; one local police and a federal gendarmerie, or police force organized along military lines. I've never seen a local cop draw a gun and many aren't even armed; I've seen gendarmes casually carting around automatic weapons. OTOH, a local cop's baton can deliver a major beat-down. Do not taunt european cops unless you have an overwhelming desire to lose your teeth.)

North American police, on the other hand, have both responsibilities - yes, there are federal and state bodies, but they don't seem to have an active part in day to day operations and there doesn't appear to be an obvious split between responsibilities. I don't envy a North American officer their job at all. It must be very difficult, if indeed possible, to be both the friendly face and the mailed fist of the state.

Which is to say, it's a big departure from Peel's Principles. Maybe Phoenix's police need automatic rifles; maybe things have degenerated to the point that another country or another time would have simply called in the army and imposed martial law. Arming the police to the teeth seems to be a step in that direction. On the other hand, it's very different; it's giving the police the tools, but not the mandate to put order in place, and therefore driving an increasingly large wedge between the police and the community at large. That can't be good for anyone.

Well, pick any statistic you want, I guess. Each one of them will show that gun violence is a problem in the U.S. Anyone can debate the solutions, but the problem, hardly.

I don't believe guns should be outlawed, and I wasn't trying to say everyone in the U.S. is armed. Switzerland does not have the same social problems that we have.

Fair enough.