• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Interesting Cuban cigar industry info

moki

el Presidente
Again, I'm sure you FOGs have been all over this for years, but I thought it might be useful to some people. Theo Rudman has an interesting web site containing all sorts of information on Cuba, Cuban cigars, and the Cuban cigar industry:

http://www.theorudman.com/cuba.htm

There are some other useful/interesting writings on his pages as well.

And how! Appreciate the link.

EDIT- Anyone else check his MSRP's? Are they really that cheap in Cuba?

There has been a fairly significant price increase since the published prices of March 2003. If I'm not mistaken it was at least 15%, if not more. But, in general, yes, the prices on the island are considerably cheaper than from a retailer.

Still, tack on 15% and it's very reasonable. That website also said that one could bring $2,000 worth of Cuban cigars back across, and up to $25,000 a month from select shops.

Aren't we Americans limited to $100 a trip, or was I misinformed?

Wildcard said:
Still, tack on 15% and it's very reasonable. That website also said that one could bring $2,000 worth of Cuban cigars back across, and up to $25,000 a month from select shops.

Aren't we Americans limited to $100 a trip, or was I misinformed?
that is correct, if okayed by the US Govt., you can bring back $100 worth of cigars [which sometimes is read as only one box, but if the recipts are for under $100, you're good to go].

Other countries also have limits on what individuals can bring out/into their country tho

Rudman's pricelist matches the Habanos official one pretty well, but folks coming back from Cuba since January are reporting prices that are 5-6% higher on most brands/sizes. :(
Eventually, Habanos will publish the new prices on their retail reservation website, and we can all update our lists.
I'll be in Cuba in about 3 weeks to check it out for myself, but as a Canuck, I'm only allowed to import 50 cigars duty-free.