• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

International Harvester Scout

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
So while my area has a surge on top of a surge with the vile virus, it was a nice day yesterday so I went to a local brewery where it was outside, spaced and showing International Harvester Scouts. This is what I learned to drive in back when God was a child. I really like Scouts, and the bug has bit me to get one though the timing appears to suck. The prices on some are astronomical. And I accept I may pay 4X what my Dad paid for the one I learned to drive in '81.

Anyone have some sage advice on Scouts or getting into buying an old car or truck (aka classic)? I do not expect to make money. This would be a weekend run about. I just want to have a clear picture of what it cost to keep a classic moving, insurance, and anything else I can glean from other peoples experience.

And yes, I will smoke in it.

CP

After doing this for over 50 years, I can suggest the following.
Add 20 to 30 % to what you think it will cost you to buy the car unless you can do the work yourself. You will eventually want to make changes to the car to give it your touch.
Learn as much about the vehicle you are looking to buy.
Join a local car club. Most car club people are willing to help a newbie.
Always bring people with you when looking at the vehicle who know about the vehicle.
Depending on the vehicle, insurance cost are cheap compared to your daily driver.
Good luck.

So while my area has a surge on top of a surge with the vile virus, it was a nice day yesterday so I went to a local brewery where it was outside, spaced and showing International Harvester Scouts. This is what I learned to drive in back when God was a child. I really like Scouts, and the bug has bit me to get one though the timing appears to suck. The prices on some are astronomical. And I accept I may pay 4X what my Dad paid for the one I learned to drive in '81.

Anyone have some sage advice on Scouts or getting into buying an old car or truck (aka classic)? I do not expect to make money. This would be a weekend run about. I just want to have a clear picture of what it cost to keep a classic moving, insurance, and anything else I can glean from other peoples experience.

And yes, I will smoke in it.

CP

Unfortunately, right now there is a big bubble for all older trucks/suvs so, as you said, prices are at premium. If you are looking to buy now, I would suggest looking at the unbeaten paths for a deal. Joining a local club will help with that. Like @streetrod said, pricing all depends on what you want and how much work you want done. If you want something that's 100 percent factory fresh or you want something that you have to put some time and money into will determine the price. Look at as many sale ads as you can find and you'll get a better idea what the market is at. I'll also throw this tid-bit that has worked in the past with others who were looking for a classic. Don't always ignore an add that has one or two pics and those pictures are not the best quality. Some people just SUCK at taking pictures and there could be a gem hiding that most has passed by and a seller who is tired of selling and ready to sell.

My dad had a scout for awhile when I was a kid. One fateful trip to the cottage in the winter where we ended upside down and it wasn’t around much longer. I blame the repair shop up north that he let try to fix it, they botched it, had to be fixed again and I think the air just got let out the balloon for him and he let it go.

It was pretty unique though he was always doing something to it. I’m surprised he never flipped it on the sand dunes though I know there were some close calls.

I'd love a Scout, a Grand Wagoneer, an old K5 Blazer, old Bronco and a mid-late 80s FJ60 Land Cruiser. Just gotta get a shop to put them all in :)