• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Investment cigars

rostius

Ok, I've heard people mention this and maybe it's a good topic for a weekend....
What do you consider an investment cigar and how do you find them? Online, stores, specialty orders etc?
The reason that I ask is that I enjoy having the stash but if I'm putting money into it and enjoy the taste, I might as well do something that is financially responsible as well instead of just buying whatever...

I'm considering long term here. Not just one year but maybe buy a box and have it for 10. Something like that.

To each his own. I own no cigar - from the lowest yard gar to the most unusual/rare/special cigar - that I don't plan to torch at some point. For me:

Mutual funds are an investment.
Stocks are an investment.
Real estate is an investment.
Gold is an investment.

Cigars are small slices of heaven that cry out to be smoked. And I do my best to oblige as often as I can ;)

All IMO, of course.

edited for spelling.

To each his own. I own no cigar - from the lowest yard gar to the most unusual/rare/special cigar - that I don't plan to torch at some point. For me:

Gold is an investment.

Cigars are small slices of heaven that cries out to be smoked. And I do my best to oblige as often as I can ;)

All IMO, of course.

I really like that haha, that's good. I agree, I might buy it in hopes of selling it someday, but deep down I know it'll never make it past the 6 month mark :cool:

...Cigars are small slices of heaven that cry out to be smoked. And I do my best to oblige as often as I can ;)

:laugh: :thumbs:

While I have cigars that appreciate, there isn't one that I would fire up or gift (ok, maybe a few)

~Mark

If you want a hobby, that's also an investment, try coin collecting. Cigars are for smoking.

Doc.

I have a hard enough time ageing cigars never mind putting away as an investment,and if it was that special of a cigar it would keep me up at night wondering what makes it that special.

Ok, seemingly you missed the point of this. I'm not talking about a 100 count humidor, 1 coolidor from Walmart or when you buy a box of RyJ when your friends are in Cuba...

I'm talking when you start having a stash like the big boys here. The big cabinets and walk ins. When you have 100-150 boxes of 25 and continue to buy, are you really going to smoke them or are you going to have them in your collection for 6-10 years as most people here don't smoke 10 a day...

And yes, to counter before these comments begin, I am including the ones that you will smoke, plan to smoke, gift, give away etc etc etc...

An investment is only an investment when it's sold at a profit.

Are you saying you could really carefully age some beautiful smokes for years and years and then SELL them...?? I think not...!!!... :laugh:

Gold is an investment.

Cigars are small slices of heaven that cry out to be smoked. And I do my best to oblige as often as I can ;)

All IMO, of course.

edited for spelling.
I agree. I think investments with reasonable use and reasonable care increase in value. And the only reasonable use for a cigar is to set it on fire, which won't increase its value.

Ok, I've heard people mention this and maybe it's a good topic for a weekend....
What do you consider an investment cigar and how do you find them? Online, stores, specialty orders etc?
The reason that I ask is that I enjoy having the stash but if I'm putting money into it and enjoy the taste, I might as well do something that is financially responsible as well instead of just buying whatever...

I'm considering long term here. Not just one year but maybe buy a box and have it for 10. Something like that.

While I do agree with others there are far better things to invest your money in than cigars, I don't think it so unreasonable to compile a cigar collection that will at least maintain its value. It's not all that much different than maintaining a wine cellar of fine wines that only get better with age. While I hope I can smoke every single cigar I own, I know that realistically I probably own more cigars than I'll ever smoke and yet I continue to buy more. I just have that "collector's mentality."

So, the types of cigars I feel I can add to my collection that will maintain their value are as follows:

Vintage Havana Cigars -- If you have the money, you can buy old Havana cigars that you'll be afraid to smoke because they cost so much. Cigars such as Cuban Davidoff Dom Perignons will always be highly sought after. Premium cigar dealers in Europe often have stocks of vintage Havanas available for sale. The already limited supplies will only become more limited as time goes by.

Any handmade Cuban cigars -- When (or if) the embargo is ever lifted, the investment potential of Havana cigars may go down a bit. But, I can't help but think that you will always be able to find buyers of any genuine Havanas that have been aged and stored properly. If you buy boxes of Havanas now and don't touch them for 10 years, they will be worth money even if the embargo is lifted during that time. Like the market for aged fine wines, I think there will probably always be an active market for aged Havana cigars.

Fuente OpusX -- Always in demand, limited availability, and aged Opus are considered even more valuable.

Fuente Anejo -- Similar to the OpusX in terms of scarcity, demand, aging potential.

Padron Anniversario -- A fine addition to any collection.

Davidoff Limited Editions -- Most of the Davidoff Limited Editions have been really, really good! I don't know how "limited" these smokes really are but there are limited amounts and most appear to have excellent aging potential.

If you can any La Gloria Cubana from about 1993 - 1997, grab them. These cigars were the best back in those days. Once the company expanded their operations to the Dominican Republic and was then bought out by one of the big companies, the cigars have never been the same. I would love to find a few boxes of LGCs from this period. Yum!

That's about it! It's not to say there aren't other cigars out there that will be sought after in years to come but I think everything listed above are the "blue chip" stocks that you really can't go wrong with.

Hugo has a pretty comprehensive list.

I'd like to add one more though - La Aurora 100 Anos

These are great limited-production smokes, and they're getting harder to find.

Hugo has a pretty comprehensive list.

I'd like to add one more though - La Aurora 100 Anos

These are great limited-production smokes, and they're getting harder to find.

CrazyPoet: Believe it or not, I was going to add La Aurora 100 Anos to the list. I think they're fantastic and a very worthy addition to a fine cigar collection. An excellent choice. Thank you for checking my oversight. I actually prefer the 100 Anos over the Padron Anniversarios.

I would tend to agree with our new friend Hugo. If you know me, then you know that I have big collection. I do look at them as an investment. Not so much in a way to make $$ on them. But, I am only 41 and I am thinking of when I am 60 or so. Can you imagine a whole walk-in full of 20+ yr old smokes!!!( some of my cigars will be in the 60 to 100 year old mark by then if I don't smoke them 1st) OH YA!!! LOL! My retirement years are going to be filled with lots of good smoke. And, if I die before then, my kids can sell the collection at some place like Christies.

IMO cigars are a great investment as long as the investment is for future smoking. This is a hobby. And as with every hobby a certain amount must be invested into it. Most don't need to be as obsessed as I am though! :laugh:

If I were to look at it from a purely $$ view, I would be screwed. Storage costs $$, maintanence costs $$, Alarm system = more $$, and other protective measures cost even More $$. And if something goes wrong with your equipment, you better be ready to drop EVERYTHING and fix it asap. I have a backup for every component of my walk-in on hand. If the cooler goes out, which it has once already, you have to replace it NOW. And if your humidifier goes down, you will have to replace it NOW too. Got to go to work? Better call in sick and get to fixin. It is a major commitment as well as an investment.

Besides, if you try to sell them for profit (no matter what the age is) people will talk shit to you for gouging. :laugh: But, IMO, somebody would be an idiot to sell well aged premium cigars for thier original retail price. Especially considering the "investment" required in getting that age on the cigars. ;)

I don't consider cigars as a form of investment. I do buy more than I smoke, and normally keep a box of the rare cigars (ISOMs, Opus X, Anejos, etc) on hand just to age and for special occasions. But, I could never see them as an investment.

Let's say you buy a box of ISOMs (25) for $200, which turns out to be $8 a stick. In ten years time, will it generate enough return to be sold for $16 a stick? Highly unlikely, hence, I don't think it's a wise investment. PLUS, if cigars are an investment and is part of your "portfolio" you will have to include all the cigars you buy and smoke. In the end, it's a losing return. It won't make sense to buy 1-2 boxes to keep and sell at a higher price, when you've bought and smoked 4-5 other boxes along the way (UNLESS those 1-2 boxes you've kept would cover your ENTIRE cigar purchases since the beiginning).

That's just my $0.02.

Andrew

atuck: I totally agree with you. I'm 43 and fully expect to enjoy all the great cigars I've amassed (and will continue to collect) over the next 20-30 years (if I make it that long). If not, at least my heirs will be able to liquidate my cigar "holdings" for some decent coin. My cigar collection is not something I would ever sell myself, or expect to sell for profit, but it does have value and I'm proud of that. It's not a bunch of worthless smokes that nobody will know what to do with when I'm not around anymore. When I do buy cigars I am careful to buy not only what I truly enjoy but also cigars that I feel have great aging and collectible potential. I don't see it any different than somebody who collects and cellars fine wine. If I had enough money and the space available, I would probably have a great wine cellar as well. As it is, these days I buy wine to drink since I don't have the room to properly cellar them. As for cigars, I buy them to smoke now as well as to age and enjoy at some later time. If they maintain their value and collectible appeal, it's all a bonus.

I'll add a +1 to Hugo and Atuk.

I'm also in my 40s and I'm buying now with an eye towards what I want to be smoking in my 50s & 60s.

I'll always have some basic smokes around, but given the $$$ involved, I'd rather smoke (and hold for later) fewer but better smokes.

I have a 150 count humi that I usually keep pretty full with my sticks I plan on smoking regularly.
I also have a smaller one loaded with "special smokes" Ones I paid a pretty penny for.
I keep it in a dark closet on a shelf out of sight. I plan to smoke each and every one of those little bastards someday

I am 40 and since I read Atucks post he has it figured out

Damn you Atuck!!!! I now have another tab opened looking for a larger special humi

Good thing I fired my wife 5 years ago :sign: