• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Iron chef competition

cigar_skip

Gonna be doing an "Iron Chef" competion with my brother against my boss & his foodie brother. The not so secret ingredient is mushrooms. Gonna happen in April so I have some menu planning time. Some current ideas are: Steak & portabello au poirve, Risotto, Wild mushroom "caviar". Would love some experiences & ideas from my fellow stogaholics.

Skip

Are you doing traditional iron chef. If so the steak will overpower the mushroom.

No idea on what dishes for you to try but love the Iron Chef. The original one from Japan with the subtitles was so much better then the new (2nd attempt) by the Food Network. They actually did a first run where William Shatner was the chairman. That was really lame. Best of luck!

Mushroom turnovers - saute mushrooms and asparagus, top with some Parmesan; spoon into puff pastry and top with Romano; close up pastry and cook.

Simply, tasty, and a departure from the norm.

Tim

Mushroom lovers Pizza. I replace the sauce with a can of low sodium Campbell soup. then add mushrooms and cheese. Can add other items.

If you can get a hold of some baby chanterelle mushrooms, there is a wonderful cream sauce that my father used to make with them and a touch of white pepper. Basically take the mushrooms and sautee them in some butter, add some heavy cream and reduce, add a touch of white pepper to taste.

Chantrelles are awesome.
So are Morels.
So are Hen of the Woods (Maitake).

Portobellos are aight...
Decent but not awesome.

If you really want to kick ass get some truffles...
Put cooked pasta in a bowl, pour some very high quality olive oil on it, grate some well aged Parmigiano Reggiano, a sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley and shave some truffles over it.
This might be considered cheating but technically truffles are fungi.

-Rob

We make mushroom eggs benedict, also mushroom stuffed with crab is one of my favorites, but simple.

I buy a steak sauce from a local private steak restaurant that is incredible, they make it themselves. Mix equal parts of this sauce and butter in a pan and saute portobellos in it. It will fill the kitchen with a great aroma and the mushrooms could very well steal the show.

I have shared this sauce with several brothers here and they can't get enough of it. If you want a bottle I can send it to you.

You can also get it direct from the restaurant HERE

Giant puffballs. Cut'em and then bake, broil, pan or steam them. Something you don't see everyday and a great flavor.