• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is Aging Always Better?

McPatrickClan

McPatrickClan
My buddy (doesn't really know jack about cigars) claims that the best possible time for a cigar to be smoked is right after it has been rolled. After aging some cigars for two weeks and then tasting the difference, I don't see how that could be true.

What say you?

Well I have never smoked a fresh rolled cigar...so I couldn't say. All I know is the aged ones sure are fine...LOL :D :p :D

Depends on the person! I have had some nicely aged isoms that were orgasmic!!

I have also had a Perdomo fresh rolled that was pretty good as well.

I like both actually.

Lee ;)

I just wonder because I am running a separate humidor right now for aging only. I wonder if there are any 'gars that I should exclude...

I've been fortunate to smoke cigars that have been fresh-rolled in front of my own eyes. I've been told by Martin Mayorga, the folks from Perdomo and JR's that if you get fresh-rolled, smoke them before they are two weeks old. After that let them sit for 6 months. They go through a sick period because the tabacco goes through another fermentation process at that time.

All things considered it is a matter of taste...I have had the same exact cigar fresh, after 6 months, and after a year...Same profile, but different nuances...But walking into a place, asking for a certain cigar, having it rolled for you, and light it up 30 seconds after it leaves the rollers hands is a neat experiance.

Emo

I used to roll my own back in the day!! I used that wacky tabacky!!

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh :sign: :sign: :sign:

Talking about off topic...geez...well was it better fresh or aged?

Like Emo said if you ever get a chance to smoke a freshie, do it.

don't know how fresh the perdomo fresh rolled i have actually are after they were distributed, and shipped to me, but i'll agree they are top's on my non isom list,

nick :D

hey Lee, did you ever let that waky tabacky age

LMAO

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

I thought 10,000 enthusiasts cannot be wrong!!!! * grins*...

We have GOTTA herf!!!! * Grins hugely* :love:

Well, I ain't ever smoked the "wacky" stuff, however, I have "SEIZED" numerous pounds before! :0 And usually the owner of said "SEIZED" property, doesn't want to come and claim it. Imagine that!!! :thumbs:

SKYDIVNEKD :sign:

I've run into that problem also Floyd, and I've even left my business card so they could contact me when they found their plants missing. Go figure! :sign:

Can you imagine not retruning for something like that ........... ??? go figurure LMAO.

Regarding aging I would think alot depends on the age of the leaf being used. I can rembember buying JR Remedios that Lew even said needed at least a year of aging......... well my buddy and I looked at each other when the box arrived and said yeh right ;) so we lit two of those babies up and boy were they baaaaaad. LMAO

To Lew's word roughly a year later with some aging this beauties were nice and smooth with a great cedar overtone hmmmm.

However some of the premium cigar makers are using leaf that has already aged a good amount of time even after being rolled and released to the public is sitting in your hummi better than theirs ??? ;) I do think they need to be stablized once you receive them from the shop.

Funny thing though aged not aged if the cigar is in front of me and there is fire ...... that baby is a gonner LMAO

.............With an attitude like that :lookup:

Gotta LOVE that guy!!!! :love:

Nice Philosophy BenJ

In my opinion cigars are like wine in that they both get better with PROPER aging. Some wines take 15 to 20 years to reach maturity and the same holds true for cigars. Eventually both will pass their prime, but it can take decades for this to happen. A well aged cigar or wine can be exponentially better than one that is new...this is NOT an opinion, but a fact. The best cigars that I have smoked have been those that I have "forgotten" hidden down in the bottom of the humidor...all covered with bloom, ten plus years old...amazing, mind blowing cigars. After a decade in the humidor a great cigar will lose any harshness that it may have had in its youth. The flavors of the tobaccos in the cigar will have married or blended and become optimised. The underlying or subtlier flavors will emerge, whether it be a saltiness, spice, nutty flavor, or whatever. Yes, I'm sure that a high quality, well aged cigar is MUCH better!

Try some of the well aged singles from London to see what I mean or put away a few Cohibas until 2012 - you won't be disappointed. I have yet to find ANY cigar that did not get better with age.

Sam said...