• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is it just me

Gator

Yesterday was 70 degrees, kids are all working on homework, so i grab this nice Magnum 50 EL 2005 and head to the deck

IMG_0119.jpg

But immediately after firing it up, this appeared

xxx.jpg

I tried and tried, but had to chunk it :angry:

Went back in and got this Punch SS from 03, this immediately showed up
IMG_0125.jpg

Actually, after about 15 min, it started smoking nicely, but then in about another 20 or so min, this showed up
IMG_0126.jpg

I couldn't keep it lit, chunked it.

Is this somewhat normal, or just bad luck? Seems like i have problem cigars more than good ones...

Sorry if the photos aren't great, taken w/ i phone

It is you, ya bastid. If you don't know how to smokem, send them to me and I will smoke them and tell you how much I enjoyed the. :sign:

I do have some problems, but not often enough to get frustrated and chuck them.

Ken

Nice pics of your chair. :laugh:

1) How long are you letting these cigars sit after receiving them?

2) At what humidity are you storing them?

3) If you are buying boxes, make sure you trust your source.

To answer your question, no. I don't have very many issues with these cigars. The occasional tough draw is handled through Henry tools or something similar.

Never had an issue.
Keep them between 60-65% RH.
How long have you had them in the humidor. (I always keep them a month to recover from travel before I even touch them)

they stay around 65%, and all of 'em have been in the humi for months. Seems to be tunnels are purely a construction issue? I did find when one has a tight draw, i put it back in the humi for a few days and viola, better draw. My humi's are at 65, i calibrate my hygros regularly, have oust fans, etc...

If a kerosene heater shows up after 15 minutes I am going to give it a try ;)

I don't recall having any real problems with anything with a post-2001 date stamp.

Maybe the occasional tight draw on some thinner 02-05 stuff, but nothing unsmokeable. That I can recall.

Only saw something like this once. Also did you switch cigars from the first photo to the last, bands are different :laugh: :whistling:

Missed those damn captions between the pictures :( Cannot read between the lines :angry: :laugh:

Yep, ISOMs can be a real pisser at times, but they are just so damn good I keep coming back.

From my experience keeping RH at around 60-65% helps, and buying a draw poker type tool is a great idea to save a few of those plugged cigars. The tunneling is just a construction issue, but they usually smoke fine for me.

I have thrown away many ISOMS due to draw issues, plugged cigars drive me nuts. I had a Boli RC about three months ago, clipped it and the pre light draw was TIGHT as hell, so I put it back in the humi and grabbed another. I picked that smoke up two nights ago and it drew just fine so I smoked it and it was great.
I think like anything that is hand made there will be variations in quality, may be the Padron rollers need to go to Cuba and give some refresher training :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i'm gonna get some 60% beads and keep the isoms in it, see if that helps. strange thing is, all the ones i had problems w/ had been there for 5-6 months. I'll see hoe that works. Those ones i'm buying from Miami seem to have more issues.

Many people, myself included, store long term at 65 - 67% and dry-box at 60% for a week or two before smoking. The reason for this two tiered system is that you may lose some oils over a period of years at the lower RH but you get better flavor and performance at that lower RH.

Dealers keep RH very high sometimes because they are in a box and are often mailed long distances. I had a box of DPG Generosos that I got from Famous that took three or four months to dry out. I just received a CAB of JL #2(SEP07) that was very moist.

You expect high quality control from products coming out of a third world communist country? Just be glad it doesn't cause choking in small infants and doesn't contain any lead.

I had an issue with a BBF last night. It started absolutely great...fine grey ash, just gorgeous burn....then it seemed like it plugged halfway through. It felt like the tip got extremely hard. I gave it a recut which helped for a while but then the same thing happened. Really confused me.

I don't understand what the big deal is... if a cigar tunnels or canoes on you, just touch it up and keep smoking...