• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is it just me?

The last 1/3rd of the cigar is always the most enjoyable for me! To each their own I guess!

Madmonk, Cigarstone, thanks for the tips. I'm sure that I'm doing those things. I've noticed that my RH is a little to high also as I'm having to re-light almost everything. The next week or two will get better as I've adjusted the RH slightly.
Glad to hear it's not just me that has this problem. Way to relaxing of a hobby.

I don't know if anybody knows for sure but it seems to me that a change in RH could take a long time to reach the middle of the cigar and especially if there are a bunch of cigars in a pile in a humi.

Yes, I expect it to take a while for the cigars to come down but. One of these days I'll get better hygrometers and that will help as well. Except for the RH issue the clock'idor is humming along pretty smoothly!

Just about everything I smoke gets nubbed if I have the time, I always keep toohpicks or something around to hold it.

I've noticed that my RH is a little to high also as I'm having to re-light almost everything. The next week or two will get better as I've adjusted the RH slightly.

This could be the main reason you're not able to nub your cigars. When a cigar burns, or anything burns for that matter, one of the by-products is water. Just from the cigar burning you will get a natural buildup of moisture and tar/resin. The higher the rH you start out with, the quicker this happens. I've found that starting out slightly dry gives you a longer and more pleasurable smoking experience. I don't know what your current storage conditions are but I bet if you bring everything down to about 65%, and any cc's down to about 63%+/-, you'd see a big difference.

I've noticed that my RH is a little to high also as I'm having to re-light almost everything. The next week or two will get better as I've adjusted the RH slightly.

This could be the main reason you're not able to nub your cigars. When a cigar burns, or anything burns for that matter, one of the by-products is water. Just from the cigar burning you will get a natural buildup of moisture and tar/resin. The higher the rH you start out with, the quicker this happens. I've found that starting out slightly dry gives you a longer and more pleasurable smoking experience. I don't know what your current storage conditions are but I bet if you bring everything down to about 65%, and any cc's down to about 63%+/-, you'd see a big difference.

+1

I was a 68-72 guy for EVER, and would panic at 65. Until I started on this board.

My humi has been a steady 63 for a couple of weeks, and everything is smoking beautifully, esp the CCs.

I'm a certified nubber. Any band comes off before or immediately after lighting, as it tastes funny when I burn right past it. I also think the best tastes (on many, not all) cigars is that last 1/3rd.

I don't burn my fingers that I can tell, it seems I may have burned off the sensors. Melted lips are my indicator now. ;)

The only cigar I've nubbed was a Short Story. That thing was so good I had to take a pic of it with while I was at the bar. My Xikar Multi-tool makes a great nubber too!

gallery_8234_842_6636.jpg

And also what Chainer said, I agree that last part of the cigar to me is usually the best tasting, why that is I couldn't tell you. I always try to nub mine, but it rarely happens.

The last 1/3rd of the cigar is always the most enjoyable for me! To each their own I guess!

That harsh, bitterness at the end of a smoke is what
separates an average cigar from a fine cigar, to me.

Sometimes you can overcome it by smoking slower
as the cigar shortens. But, the really quality smokes
never get harsh or bitter for me.

Sometimes it seems that the conditions I'm smoking
under help an average cigar, too. Some of my most
memorable smokes have been on a cool, sunny fall
day, where the cooler air helped an average cigar
taste terrific! Two years ago an RP Vintage Fusion
blew me away, while last fall it was a Fuente Hemi
maduro(which would have been very good anyway).

Chemyst :cool:

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' post='847236' date='Apr 10 2009, 06:42 PM']I just don't like the bitter taste that usually develops at that end of the cigar. I've only really nubbed a handful of cigars.[/quote]

If they are always bitter at the end you could be smoking them a bit too fast. I often smoke to the nub unless they are bitter. I've noticed that when I smoke them too fast they get bitter at the end. Just a thought.

Just about everything I smoke gets nubbed if I have the time, I always keep toohpicks or something around to hold it.
Proving again that "you are the man"! I would definitely get sick if I tried that everytime.

I do the same exact thing. I just can't stop until there is no way of holding it anymore.

I usually will smoke to the band if not push it back a bit and go alittle further....I also look back and believe that if you have a large stash, you will not hesitate to move on to the next cigar and not smoke to the end...but if it is your last cigar or only cigar, you will smoke as much as you can until your burn yourself. :thumbs:

If the cigar does have a band on it I always take it off before I even start smoking. Usually I put

Very continental - as I recall, the old-school british etiquette about smoking cigars runs along the lines that the bands come off, since gentlemen do not advertise what they're smoking; one-upmanship diminishes both parties.

I typically stop above the band as well. Most of the time at least. When the cigar's done for you, put it to rest; stretching it out for the sake of stretching it out does no one any favors.

If the cigar does have a band on it I always take it off before I even start smoking. Usually I put

Very continental - as I recall, the old-school british etiquette about smoking cigars runs along the lines that the bands come off, since gentlemen do not advertise what they're smoking; one-upmanship diminishes both parties.

I typically stop above the band as well. Most of the time at least. When the cigar's done for you, put it to rest; stretching it out for the sake of stretching it out does no one any favors.

Shit.......I save bands from expensive cigars and put them on the dog rockets I smoke just to look important :whistling:

Shit.......I save bands from expensive cigars and put them on the dog rockets I smoke just to look important :whistling:

LOL. Who said I was a gentleman? That said, my go-to these days is a Special G - the band takes up about half the cigar, and comes off with the cello 1/2 the time.

I once read that it is in good form to take the band off before smoking, but that's not why I do it :blush: :sign: I like to keep all the bands from the cigars I smoke and have noticed that when the burn gets closer to the band the cigar expands a bit making it difficult to take the band off without undoing the band itself. But I like the cover story of being a gentleman!

I think smoking to the nub is an art, it requires the proper light and proper attention during the smoke so it doesn't require relights and touchups as I think these are what creates the bitter/harsh taste. Be careful with the light, pay attention so you don't get behind and you may start enjoying the nub. Just my .02

I agree. I smoke some to the nub and some not. You have to learn to smoke to the nub. If I smoke fast, the nub usually is rancid and hot. If I take my time, the nub is tasty and cool. A relight, I won't nub. If you are a newbie nub novice, keep trying until you become a natural nubber. LOL

Remember: Every cigar is a new adventure.

And

"It is better to have nubbed and lost, than never to have nubbed at all". :laugh:

+1

I was a 68-72 guy for EVER, and would panic at 65. Until I started on this board.

My humi has been a steady 63 for a couple of weeks, and everything is smoking beautifully, esp the CCs.

My sticks all seemed crackly and fragile at around 63-65. They smoked ok but I was seeing a lot of cracks it seemed like. I've had it around 67-69 for several weeks now, and everything is smoking great. All of my cigars feel just right...nice and firm, not too squishy, not too crackly.