• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is there a cuban cigar primer?

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
I am clueless about Cubans. Hopefully there is a link to a primer.

What are box codes and why are they important?

If I stumble across authentic Cubans, how do I know if the price is fair?

I am clueless about Cubans. Hopefully there is a link to a primer.

What are box codes and why are they important?

If I stumble across authentic Cubans, how do I know if the price is fair?

Search is your friend. Please understand that they are illegal for US citizens.

I go to authentic Cuban restaurants all the time, but you never know who is cooking in the back!

I am clueless about Cubans.
If I stumble across authentic Cubans....

If you are clueless about Cubans, chances are you will not stumble across "authentic" Cubans. :laugh:

The best primer is the Island of Cuba forum, 6+ years and 943 topics of fantastic information of member's experiences. If you read every thread, you will learn more than you could ever imagine, including the importance of box codes for authentication, as well as pricing information.

I have never had one of those before, I know a friend that has but I hope he doesn't go to jail as they are ILLEGAL.

I have never had one of those before, I know a friend that has but I hope he doesn't go to jail as they are ILLEGAL.

Are you sure? I have to tell that Mr. Villiger in Waldshut-Tiengen; probably he still don't knew it... :rolleyes: :whistling:

I am sure glad that CP allows reputable vendors to advertise for us non-US members. :thumbs:

P.S. search for Min Ron Nee; he wrote a interesting book. It's the answer for nearly all your questions.

Hmmm, authentic Cubans usually come with pernil and arroz con frijoles. Maybe a slice of avacado on the side.

Here's a site that has some pretty good reviews. A decent reference, but as pointed out, our very own Island of Cuba forum is pretty well stocked with good information..... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

P.S. search for Min Ron Nee; he wrote a interesting book. It's the answer for nearly all your questions.

IMO this would not be a book to suggest to a newb. While its a nice book (with errors) and has lots of pictures Min Ron Nee opinions are...well.... opinion. Not something I personally care to see in a "reference" book. Too many people read the opinions as facts.

The fact is there isn't any one primer you can read to understand all there is about habanos. Reading as much as you can will help but in the end it's like most things in life..... to learn you must do. Too many variables. The absolute best advice one can give someone on how to identify real habanos is to know the source of the cigar. If you buy cigars from a cigar shop during a cruise (or off the street)... most likely they are fake. If you buy them from a web site that has pricing well below the going prices.... most likely they are fake. If someone tells you they have a friend who's uncle works at the factory... most likely they are fake. If the box of cigars has a glass top... they are fake. :)

I have to agree with my good friend (and I use that term loosely) MMM, "chances are you will not stumble across "authentic" Cubans." Stick around here and spend some time with us. Take the advice of reading the Island of Cuba Forum. You'll learn plenty to help you accomplish what you're after. :thumbs:

Fakes may be available in America. In central Europe it is harder to find a faked CC in a shop than to find a legit CC in a US shop... :whistling: