• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is there such a thing as a "good" JR Alternative?

LarryLarry

I've only had 2 JR Alternatives and they were beyond horrible. These were the JR Alternative Cuban Alternatives to Cohiba. They canoe'd, and had a ridiculously hot smoke (like there was coal in there!) and gave me a generally annoyed feeling. Both had the same characteristics. One was right out of the JR humidor and the other stayed about a week or two in my humidor but they both were still horrible

Knowing that they probably use many different farmers, processors, and rollers I hope to find an alternative that is better (pun intended). So I just bought the Punch Alternative that they have but haven't lit it yet. I only got 1.

So far I can say for a fact that the Holt's Factory Specials and Famous-Smoke generics are spectacular and not just for the price. In-fact they are better than many of the higher end smokes.

Problem is that JR is right down the street from me so I would like to find a JR that works. Has anybody had a JR that was worth it or is it all marketing that they are the same "size, smell, and flavor?"

Why smoke if you just smoke "alternatives"?

Get a brown label Padron. That should do it.

For the price these arent bad especially the Hoyo Piramide.

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=JR%20EDICION%20LIMITADA%20ALTERNATIVE

To each their own, but I avoid alternatives like th plague. There are many fine inexpensive cigars out there, that aren't alternatives to any particular marca, but smoke and taste just fine.

Cigar smoking is a personal journey of exploration that requires some patience and open-minded awareness. You'll find the ones you like, regardless of their price, by trial and error.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Individual tastes vary, and if you would like to continue your quest, more power to you. I lived near JR when I lived in North Carolina, and my experience with the Alternatives was similar to yours. When shopping there I stuck to their Villazon offerings.

Never again. That was 3 in a row that have failed failed failed. Can't stay lit, tastes like cardboard, no smoke then some smoke!

The Holts Factory Special or something like that are delicious and amazing. The famous smokes are good as can be. I can say without fail that I will never purchase another JR alternative. Although, they have wonderful standard stuff.