• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is this Fuente deal worth it? (Opus X)

flamchop

65/65
I'm new to these boards so forgive my newbish question. In another thread on here someone asked about where to find an Opus X, and someone mentioned this website. I've been enjoying cigars regularly for about 9 months now and have tried to sample a wide range of sticks to find my preference. But I have yet to smoke an Opus X. I know they only put them out a few times a year and my local B&M's have been long out of stock. Most websites that have them in stock are charging over $25 per stick.

The above mentioned site has a sampler for $66 which includes 2 Fuente Fuente Opus X, 2 Hemingway Signature Maduro, and 2 Don Carlos #3's. I know this may be a bit over MSRP for these 6 cigars but I'm anxious to try an Opus X and at least here I get 6 sticks I've never smoked before. I had the Hemingway Short Story and like it, but never the Sig Maduro.

Would I be a fool to go for this sampler in order to score 2 Opus X's and 4 other premium Fuente's? Would you guys suggest I wait until my B&M gets the next shipment and skip this? Any other places you know of that might have them closer to MSRP?

Thanks in advance!

wait wait wait...

you're from philly? as in philadelphia?

head on down to holt's brotha!

ask if they have any tat black label's while you're there, if they do, send me one for saving you an ass load of $$$

Welcome

To answer both questions: no, it is not a good deal. And no, Holt's has no Opus or Tat black labels.

Holts does have a "Showstopper" holiday sampler here which includes an Opus X Belicoso XXX for $50.

Maybe one of their B&M locations has some more in stock than they have available through the site. Either way it looks like I should be stopping in there to check things out! I can't believe I have yet to go to Holt's. Sometimes getting into the city is hard with my schedule and I have a pretty big B&M closer to me out in the burbs.

sorry if I didn't make that clear...

yes, stop by the store, f the internet when you have one of the greats withing bicycle distance.

Opus is a polarizinig cigar. Many love it many hate it (me). It's a lot of money to spend. That's not a great deal at all IMO.

If you want to try some Opus and/or hemi maduros send me a PM. I was in the one B&M that I still use over the holidays and he was so proud to show me the Opus he had that I bought a few even though I'll likely never smoke them. We'll call it your first trade. I hate to see folks get gouged. If you are new to cigars its 50/50 that you won;t like them anyway.

I am serious, if you want to try a few shoot me a PM and we'll work something out.

Opus is a polarizinig cigar. Many love it many hate it (me). It's a lot of money to spend. That's not a great deal at all IMO.

If you want to try some Opus and/or hemi maduros send me a PM. I was in the one B&M that I still use over the holidays and he was so proud to show me the Opus he had that I bought a few even though I'll likely never smoke them. We'll call it your first trade. I hate to see folks get gouged. If you are new to cigars its 50/50 that you won;t like them anyway.

I am serious, if you want to try a few shoot me a PM and we'll work something out.

Very nice offer...

:thumbs:

mac

If you are new to cigars its 50/50 that you won;t like them anyway.

I don't think that is an accurate statement. I would venture that more than 50% of cigar smokers like OpusX. A lot more than 50%.

I'll agree that the percentage of seasoned smoked is much greater than 50% that enjoy Opus. I think FlyFish was stating "If you are new to cigars" and do not have a taste for the full bodied cigars, you may not enjoy them. This guy has been smoking for 9 months, and may be ready for more horsepower.

Hard to say what's right for you.

I like Fuente products in general, especially Opus and Hemi Maduros. When I first started smoking them, I over paid because I wanted to try them and they are hard to find. As I smoked more cigars, I realized there are many other cigars that are just as satisfying for less money. Now I am not willing to pay much over MSRP for Opus. With Opus there is quite a bit of hype; although, they can be very tasty, and if that is the flavor you want, nothing else will scratch that itch.

So that was a long winded way of saying you will have to figure this one out for yourself. Talk to Flyfish since he is willing to get you started.

My advice for a newbie looking at Opus is to purchase them when available, but don't smoke them. Put them away for a year or two. Your palate will develop to appreciate full bodied smokes, and the Opus will definately benefit from age.

My advice for a newbie looking at Opus is to purchase them when available, but don't smoke them. Put them away for a year or two. Your palate will develop to appreciate full bodied smokes, and the Opus will definately benefit from age.
amen to that. My first opus are still in my humi.

To clarify, the 50/50 guess is for folks who are NEW to cigars. He says he's been smoking for 9 months and if that time has been spent on Ashton Classic and Macanudo line cigars (very fine cigars BTW) then the Opus will likely kick him in the eyes, even if he does like the flavor. If he's had stronger stuff then he'll be fine, again, if he likes that flavor profile.

Ounceman, shoot me a PM. I looked in the humi-fridge and I have you covered to start your journey to the dark side.

To clarify, the 50/50 guess is for folks who are NEW to cigars. He says he's been smoking for 9 months and if that time has been spent on Ashton Classic and Macanudo line cigars (very fine cigars BTW) then the Opus will likely kick him in the eyes, even if he does like the flavor. If he's had stronger stuff then he'll be fine, again, if he likes that flavor profile.

Ounceman, shoot me a PM. I looked in the humi-fridge and I have you covered to start your journey to the dark side.

I agree here...my first Opus had me buzzin for hours after I smoked it. To this day, it is a cigar I respect as much as I fear. Make sure to have a nice 20 oz steak beforehand and you'll love it.

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said I haven't smoked one before and I've just been curious. You have to admit when a cigar is talked about as much as the Opus X you can't call yourself a cigar lover and not at least land a couple to try out. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep them in my humi though before I get the urge to light up!

My first Opus was wasted on me. Nice gift from the wife, but I didn't even know what I had...

Thanks for all the replies. Like I said I haven't smoked one before and I've just been curious. You have to admit when a cigar is talked about as much as the Opus X you can't call yourself a cigar lover and not at least land a couple to try out. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep them in my humi though before I get the urge to light up!

Well it's just my opinion but I prefer them young. If you get more than one try one early on and re-visit another down the road.

Just a newbie weighin' in to another newbie. All the advice you've received so far is really great! Just to give my experience.... I've been smoking cigars for a li'l over a year now. I found out about Opus X about a month and a half after I started smoking cigars, which was just before Thanksgiving. By the time I even knew they existed my local B&M had just sold out of the holiday release. So I read more about it over the next month or so and the excitement is building..... now I CAN'T WAIT until March. March comes, I'm 3-4 mo.'s into smoking cigars, I'm checking my B&M every day around Easter then.... they finally show up! :thumbs: All that are available is the Perf. no. 5 with a 2 limit per customer. I quickly snatch up 2, race home like a kid who just stuck his hand in the candy jar.... hell like I just stole the candy jar. I light that baby up and............. OH BABY! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: I was hooked from that day forward with a green palette only 4 mo.'s old. And I didn't even know what I was smoking because now they taste so different to me.... so much more complex!..... so much better!!! It's kind of like when you read a book, put it down, go back to it a year or two later, and reread the book. It's like a completely different book.... almost like the damn thing's been rewritten. That's because you have a different frame of reference with which to process and analyze the information in the book. For me... it's the same thing with cigars. I ran out in the beginning (my first 3-4 mo.'s) and tried Opus, Ashton VSG and ESG, Padron '26 and '64, AF Don Carlos and all these premium smokes that I thought were excellent.... but I really had no idea what excellent was. Now when I smoke these same cigars I can appreciate them so much more because my frame of reference is much wider in terms of what I have to compare them to. IMHO.... if you can get more than one, smoke one now, put the other away for a year or two. That way when you smoke those in the future you'll know what you didn't know when you smoked the first ones. It should be quite an experience... at least it was for me. You'll also be able to experience first hand the difference that properly aging a cigar truly makes.

DeVonn

I sincerely apologize for the length.... I just get so excited! I could go on and on and on and on..........

Just a newbie weighin' in to another newbie. All the advice you've received so far is really great! Just to give my experience....

DeVonn

I sincerely apologize for the length.... I just get so excited! I could go on and on and on and on..........

Thank you, DeVonn. For a newbie this was one of the most informative posts offered since everything said was put in to the context of the o.p.

Having recently started smoking cigars I felt there was no need to register since there was nothing substantive I could offer, but I needed to thank you for this one. Good job. Now I need to post some other questions.

Mark