• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is trouble brewing in Nicaragua?

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
In the past few days, the Nicaraguan president (whose wife is the Vice President?!?) has given the boot to the EU and the Netherlands, and has made the new US ambassador persona non grata. There's a whole lot to be unwrapped regarding the state of Nicaragua for its people that can't be downplayed or overlooked, but since this is a cigar forum, let's focus there.

Is there a looming issue for the world pertaining to Nicaraguan cigars? Is there any whispering or chatter within the industry about the political and diplomatic direction the government is taking the country? Or, is this just a case of economic status quo overruling any sort of global sanctions or penalties for being a dictatorial asshat? Again, let's keep this related to how these events may or may not impact the Nica tobacco industry and the world.

(I have no idea the political bias of VOA -- it is just the most complete article I could find on the subject)

In the past few days, the Nicaraguan president (whose wife is the Vice President?!?) has given the boot to the EU and the Netherlands, and has made the new US ambassador persona non grata. There's a whole lot to be unwrapped regarding the state of Nicaragua for its people that can't be downplayed or overlooked, but since this is a cigar forum, let's focus there.

Is there a looming issue for the world pertaining to Nicaraguan cigars? Is there any whispering or chatter within the industry about the political and diplomatic direction the government is taking the country? Or, is this just a case of economic status quo overruling any sort of global sanctions or penalties for being a dictatorial asshat? Again, let's keep this related to how these events may or may not impact the Nica tobacco industry and the world.

(I have no idea the political bias of VOA -- it is just the most complete article I could find on the subject)

Can we say Venezuela! Very interesting, that he's back in control.

I guess I better start liking Dominican tobacco.

Probably more 3 country cocktails. Honduran filler, Brazilian binders, and Mexican SA wrappers. I don't know if the DR could provide enough real estate to absorb any real Nica exodus.