• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISO...Hygrometer that doesn't need cabinet to be opened

DKAudio

I used to have a little havana hygrometer and it worked great. With my new cabinet humidor I would like one that either has a wire for the sensor or is wireless. I don't want to have to open the door everytime to check the RH. I would like to just walk by and look. I have a temperature monitor already that has a wire and sensor. Therefore, if it only does rh and not temp that would be just fine. As always looking for one as cheap as possible while being pretty accurate. Also, if there is one at a chain of stores (Walmart, RadioCrap, etc) that would be good so I could avoid shipping costs.

Mark @ cigarmony.com has some remote units, I believe it will handle up to 3 remote units

Yeah, I saw those, looking for something cheaper. I may just go get the $10 unit from Walmart. Maybe I can disect it to move the sensor? Otherwise I guess I will just have to open the door.

in my experience, its better to buy a better hygro and not have to worry than a cheap one that fails and is inaccurate. When I first started my coolidor, I bought a wallyworld hygro and it was 15% off and eventually died after about 2 months? If you're going to keep the collection going and you don't like having to recalibrate, I'd hittup Mark.

in my experience, its better to buy a better hygro and not have to worry than a cheap one that fails and is inaccurate. When I first started my coolidor, I bought a wallyworld hygro and it was 15% off and eventually died after about 2 months? If you're going to keep the collection going and you don't like having to recalibrate, I'd hittup Mark.

I went to Walmart and bought a $12 AcuRite unit. It has a 10' probe, just what I wanted. I think this unit has come up before. The really cheap Walmart $7 unit proved to be junk but I think this one was +/-3% by people who have done tests. I am salt testing right now. It has been 30 minutes and we are up to 59% and it is still climbing. I am also using a pretty big jar, I am using this...
http://www.mycigarhumidor.com/the_jar.html
I know it has a perfect seal though. How much time should I do it for, still 24 hours?
I used 1/4" of table salt in a shot glass and added distilled water until it became what I thought is "slurry." There is no standing water but all the crystals are clear and not white. I assume if I tipped the glass upside down it would almost stay and not fall out. Hope I did it correctly.

Thanks

I like to test my hygrometers with the Boveda packs, that way you don't have to worry about the correct amount of water/salt.

Well, 10.5 hours and we are only at 63%. Does that seem right or way too low at this point?

Don't do the Wally World hygros!!! I bought 2 different ones and one is 11% off and the other is 15% off!!! I could have had 1 good one for the money I spent on the two. I will never buy a crappy one again. Now I like those adjustable ones for 20 bucks.

Don't do the Wally World hygros!!! I bought 2 different ones and one is 11% off and the other is 15% off!!! I could have had 1 good one for the money I spent on the two. I will never buy a crappy one again. Now I like those adjustable ones for 20 bucks.

I knew I got lucky, but didn't realize just how lucky. For the purpose that I needed it for (conditioning kitty litter) I figured I'd give it a shot.

I figure if it is way off I can return it. I really like the probe idea and the way the thing looks. That jar I am using is acceptable for the test, right? The test should never be >24hours?

I thought of a perfect way to describe the way my salt looks. If you don't mix your drink well enough and there is sugar left at the bottom. Is that what is meant by "slurry."

BTW, the probe on the Accurite is for temp ONLY. Humidity is measured from the internals of the device. I also found this out the hard way. The temp probe works great though!

BTW, the probe on the Accurite is for temp ONLY. Humidity is measured from the internals of the device. I also found this out the hard way. The temp probe works great though!

Damn it! Well that screws up my whole plan.

You have too much water. The salt should look clumpy and white not slurry. I would do the test in a zip lock bag.

The glass jar is fine as long as it seals. Actually, its better than a ziplock that is permeable. Here is a picture of the salt in a test I just did. I'd call it more of a thick wet paste. And yes, totally undisturbed for a minimum of 24 hours, if not more..... especially with a cheap hygro.

Salt_test.jpg

You asked for advice on hygrometers and within 45 minutes of the first suggestion you announce you're buying XXXX ........ ? Another time you question waiting 24hours as suggested and then tell us "The test should never be >24hours" ? I'm confused as to what advice you really want.

Long story short, you bought a cheap hygro that may work or may be a POS. Odds are its a POS. You were given the best advice in the very first reply. The thread has moved totally off topic and has now become about calibrating a hygro. I'd venture to say there is more information here on that topic than almost any topic on the board.

The glass jar is fine as long as it seals. Actually, its better than a ziplock that is permeable. Here is a picture of the salt in a test I just did. I'd call it more of a thick wet paste. And yes, totally undisturbed for a minimum of 24 hours, if not more..... especially with a cheap hygro.

Salt_test.jpg

You asked for advice on hygrometers and within 45 minutes of the first suggestion you announce you're buying XXXX ........ ? Another time you question waiting 24hours as suggested and then tell us "The test should never be >24hours" ? I'm confused as to what advice you really want.

Long story short, you bought a cheap hygro that may work or may be a POS. Odds are its a POS. You were given the best advice in the very first reply. The thread has moved totally off topic and has now become about calibrating a hygro. I'd venture to say there is more information here on that topic than almost any topic on the board.

I know, sorry about that. I did a search on Yahoo and found a thread from ClubStogie about it after posting here. It was clear that the $7 one was a POS and the $12 one worked great for them, that is why I went to get it. Anyways, my salt looks like that but is a small amount, just the bottom of a shot glass.

Thanks

It looks like I was wrong. According to this website:

http://www.kingofthehouse.com/hygrometer/

It doesn't matter what the mixture looks like as long as the salt doesn't dissolve in the water.

Good luck!

I restarted mine and use more salt and the water mixture seems better. Right now we are at 66% and it has been about 2.5 hours. I think this one will turn out good. Some of the salt is getting chunky but it looks pretty good. I am going to keep updating so other people who are low on money can see the results.