• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISO9000

gibu

Hey,

My company is seeking ISO 9000 certification with the AS901 addition I think it is, the areospace addition anyway. Were a small company so I've had Management Rep, Document Control Manager, and IT (the entire department I supose) kind of all dimped on me. As part of this I have kind of been spear heading a search for an integrated shop management software package to kind of go along with all of this. I was wondering who has gone through this process, what advice you might have, and what software your company might use, plus weather you are happy with that choice or not and would choose it again or not.

Just for a little information we are a small CNC job shop of 4 4 axis CNC mills and 5 CNC lathes. We do mostly small parts for mostly areospace firms. We do just parts and not assemblies.

Right now I have been looking very hard at the E2 software package from shoptech but I'm very leary of falling for the basic package only to find out that we really did need that advanced scheduling package or the quality package after all and end up doubling our cost. We have looked at Job Boss as well, but it really is pretty dang axpensive, especially when extra seats are added.

Anyway, if anyone does have any advice or input on this it would be greatly appreciated.

We did IDO certification about 10 years ago. There were no software packages available at the time. Choosing the auditor was the most important thing we did. Our company is not so big, approx. 190 people making insulating resins for electric motor and magnet wire companies. The manager of QC was the point guy. Calibration is a big deal and involvement of upper management was huge. Getting upper management to focus was difficult. We gave each unit control over their piece of the ISO parameters and had the QC guy oversee how the documentation was done so that it qualified.

golfgar said:
We did IDO certification about 10 years ago. There were no software packages available at the time. Choosing the auditor was the most important thing we did. Our company is not so big, approx. 190 people making insulating resins for electric motor and magnet wire companies. The manager of QC was the point guy. Calibration is a big deal and involvement of upper management was huge. Getting upper management to focus was difficult. We gave each unit control over their piece of the ISO parameters and had the QC guy oversee how the documentation was done so that it qualified.
[snapback]169982[/snapback]​

Thanks for the input golfgar. Uppermanagements involvment is indeed a major factor as we are allready seeing even in these early stages. I think its going to work out very well for us. The owner has some serious goals even without this process and this is going to be a great incentive to follow through with those goals. Plus its getting to be a requirement even with just our existing customers anyway, so it really is something we NEED to do. I think were going to be a better company for it in the end once its accomplished.

Oh Dam*, I was hoping it was a typo and you were asking about the new ISOM 9000! :angry2: :angry: :whistling:

Guess that's why the question was posted in the Lobby, huh?? :D

The first time that I was introduced to ISO 9000 was quite a few years ago at a very large "Blue" company :whistling: . Our group fought it tooth and nail, "How can we, a PCB design group, document our process?" "Oh, this works fine for manufacturing but it will never work for us". Well, it turned out to be one of the best things we did and quality really did improve. What I find now is that I am continuously looking into ways to improve our process', customer satisfaction and checklists. I'm will also use ISO when measuring other businesses quality when I am the customer. Good luck, and though initially it may be painful there are many benefits in the end results.
:cool: