• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISOM fake experts

cloudsofcuba

montecristo.jpg

The one on the top is from a No.2 that I got a few months ago. The one on the bottom is from a No.3 that a friend got for me at a local shop. As you can see the band from the No.2 is a lot more bold and the lines are a lot thicker too. Im pretty sure that it is a fake, but I hope it is not because the cigar smells damn good. If it is a fake Im going to fire it up tonight! What do the rest of you think of it?

Neither look precisely right although the bottom one looks more like the bands on my Montes.

Wilkey

Pulled out a couple of my Monte bands and I hate say it. The bottom one gives one big flaw right off the bat. The center boyscout looking item. Every band I have the top one in that same spot resembles it. The other thing I noticed with both of them that doesnt make any sense to the bands I have. On the right side there is only 7 points on the band aka the thing that looks like a jagged blade. The ones I have are 10. Interesting...

Hehe, the fun has begun. :D

Peat, that's the "fleur-de-lis" emblem in the center and yeah, it looks pretty bad.

Wilkey

The Monte bands were changed and the fleur de lis modified at one point though, weren't they?

Forget the bands, how does it taste?

I havent tried the No.3, but the No.2 was packed with leather, earth, coffee, and some spice. It also kicked my ass :p . The No.3 smells so tasty, it smells a bit like a muted Opusx. Im going to fire it up in a few hours.

The one on the top is from a No.2 that I got a few months ago. The one on the bottom is from a No.3 that a friend got for me at a local shop. As you can see the band from the No.2 is a lot more bold and the lines are a lot thicker too. Im pretty sure that it is a fake, but I hope it is not because the cigar smells damn good. If it is a fake Im going to fire it up tonight! What do the rest of you think of it?

Local where ?..... in the states ?... probably fake

Local where ?..... in the states ?... probably fake

Yeah probably. The shop doesnt parade that they have them, they only offer to regulars they can trust.

I had a Monte #2 the other day and this thread made me think twice about authenticity. I pulled out the band and found that it was just like Mr Peat's 2nd band (disconnected fleur de lis). A little web search and I found this:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Montecristo band changes!
Starting in late 2003, significant changes were made to the Cuban Montecristo cigar band.
The new band was initially introduced into the market on the best-selling Montecristo No. 4 cigar. These are now in wide circulation, whereas with many other Montecristo cigars, the old band remains widely seen, and will continue to do so until retailers gradually re-stock with new product.

Specific changes include a new crisper font for the text; a significantly altered fleur-de-lis graphic; plus the paper used is a shiny finished paper in place of the old matte finish.

There are also pics of both bands.
I found this at http://www.absolutecigars.com/authenticity.html

Jim

Jim, might want to fix that link since it points to a source.

I consider this a source of info, not a source of cigars. FOG opinions???

Jim

Well I smoked it last night and it was the best cigar I have ever smoked! Just kidding, it was pure crap! :p

I consider this a source of info, not a source of cigars. FOG opinions???

Jim
I'm no FOG, but that's not a source. Buying and/or possessing Cuban cigars is illegal for U.S. citizens. There is nothing wrong with viewing web sites that sell or discuss Cuban cigars.

Its kinda sad to think, that unless your a pro you never know what your getting. I think all this counterfieting is crap, such a waste of good money..

So in looking at the link about the new bands, I'm assuming that the top band in the pic above is authentic? I can't see a difference.

I sure hope it is since that's the band on my #2's.