• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Issues with beads

I just ordered some 70 my self this seems to be a problem, who is this "Vern" is he on CP?

Jim

I just set up a 1/2 pound 65% stocking in my igloodor this week. I put the beads in the stocking and then squirted the 17.5 ounces (1/2 pound) over the top. I am sure some of the beads didn't get wet but I doubt they need to to get activated. They should absorb the moisture out of the air since that is how they work.

Shot right to 73% back to around 67% and later down to 64% (presently) all in about a week.

I think broken ones are still good since he recommends a stocking because of the smaller particles.

Vern is "Vern" on CP.

I leave mine in an open container but Lumby's got one of the best solutions, put them in panty hose 'cause I may have the problem that I think statelandman had, spilling the beads all over the floor :D

I think they need as much surface area open as possible which is why your tubes with holes may not quite do the trick.

I've changed them to a small tuperware container... and still only 60%. I've even doubled the amount of beads. Very disheartening. MORE BEADS! :p

Gunpowder said:
I put the beads in the stocking and then squirted the 17.5 ounces (1/2 pound) over the top.
You mean 17.5 ml, correct?

Vern recommends 35 ml per pound of beads.

After going back and reading the pamphlet that came with the beads, the first thing stated is that the Climmax media is designed for LARGE sized storage (ie: igloos, coolers, big humidors). These beads work in quantity... not ratio.

I think 1/2 lb may be the smallest functional amount to use no matter how small the container is. ??? So much for taking 1 lb of beads and spreading it over a bunch of smaller humidors and storage units. Nevertheless, the 1/2 lb in my cooler is working perfectly. :thumbs:

MilesMingusMonk said:
Gunpowder said:
I put the beads in the stocking and then squirted the 17.5 ounces (1/2 pound) over the top.
You mean 17.5 ml, correct?

Vern recommends 35 ml per pound of beads.
Ya ml. 17.5 is for the 1/2 pound

I have the Humi "Puck" in my desktop (35-40 cnt) filled with 65% beads, that humi is at 64% constantly.

I have an AVO Beli Tubo with about 20 holes punched in it, filled with beads in a VSG Box that is holding at 65%.

Maybe I am just lucky, but I think the beads are fantastic for the smaller humis too.

I seen were bargain humidors is selling the beads in one pound, 1/2, and now 1/4 pounds increments, so 1/4 must be ok as well. I also seen a couple of the little bean bag things humidifing passes very well and even home made ones in passes out of very, very small disposable tuperware bowls and holes in the lids. I made one out of a plastic film can and melted a bunch of holes in the lid using a heated paper clip. Don't forget those stick things also that they sell. There cant be that many beads in them but they sure do work. If you look at them you can see how many beads compared to how many sticks they recomend them for.

I think a tube should be good but only half full when on its side to maximize surface area and even then only for small areas. The math at those small amounts makes my brain hurt. Also make sure your not overworking them. They can only keep up with a certain air volume. Make sure of the math. Overkill is not bad. Make sure seals are good. Tuperware from a pass will be easier then a humidor since they are airtight and their is no air leeking in to condition for lack of a better term. A humidor with seal problems will be a chalenge for any system. I think I would get way better performance with far fewer beads if I used a system of some type that provided more surface area such as the stockings do. The shallow dishes I use seem to work great though.

I have no idea as to the efectivness of broken beads, only that they do break from over filling. The ones swimming on the bottom broke with finger pressure and the ones still dry were all very solid.

Hi guys, I don't get out much :p :)
Our product probably won't work for everybody :0 , however we have a guaranteed satisfaction or your money back policy on our site and last year out of thousands of orders I processed, I was asked for a refund only once. If anyone has questions about our product please call me, it is toll free @ 888-Climmax or 888-254-6629. Also if you send me an email to Tevecaka@aol.com with your number I will call you.
Generally speaking I prefer to handle question this way as I am a lousy, slow typist and I can give a more comprehensive response via the phone.

And that my friends conclude your lesson in business 101. Customer service at its finest! :thumbs:

Hi Vern! :D

Got a call from Vern today. Awesome guy. Walked me through the process of how these beads work... even down to some of the nittier grittier details. Went over my head, but I appreciate it nonetheless. :thumbs:

vewyphishy said:
After going back and reading the pamphlet that came with the beads, the first thing stated is that the Climmax media is designed for LARGE sized storage (ie: igloos, coolers, big humidors). These beads work in quantity... not ratio.

I think 1/2 lb may be the smallest functional amount to use no matter how small the container is. ??? So much for taking 1 lb of beads and spreading it over a bunch of smaller humidors and storage units. Nevertheless, the 1/2 lb in my cooler is working perfectly. :thumbs:
Just wanted to say I have a couple small amounts, maybe slightly larger than a golf ball, each wrapped in hose, that humidify two small tupperdors (about 15 sticks each) perfectly.

I don't think there is a minimum working amount.

So whoever talks to Vern about the breaking and whether the broken ones still work, report back!

Okay... straight from Vern himself. Broken beads are OKAY! :D They're just not as effective as whole beads (common sense there). Nevertheless, if any of you have problems getting the RH correct, try this (again, from Vern):

Take a damp sponge, rest it on a ziploc bag or something INSIDE your humidor. Keep the beads, cigars, and everything else in there as normal. The beads work best when dealing with water vapors, and so the sponge facilitates that the best (as opposed to pouring water on directly). I tried it today... and magic! It's working. Wohoo!

Cool I will try this before givin Vern a call myself.

These BB's great :thumbs:

M3

Hrm - that's a really good idea with the sponge - will definately have to try that.

I activated my 65 % berads maybe 2 weeksw ago. they surged to about 68% and then fell back slow over a few days to 63/63 then stableized at 65% where they have been for a good week.

When they drop off I am not sure how much water to ad but I assume the same as before or maybe a lttile less. If someone knows for sure might want to post here for the rest of us for the info.

Gunpowder said:
I activated my 65 % berads maybe 2 weeksw ago. they surged to about 68% and then fell back slow over a few days to 63/63 then stableized at 65% where they have been for a good week.

When they drop off I am not sure how much water to ad but I assume the same as before or maybe a lttile less. If someone knows for sure might want to post here for the rest of us for the info.
Scroll up 3 posts to Vewyphishy's post. My beads came with a sponge and applicator. I followed the directions and my fridgedor is working perfectly. Although, when I got home from deployment, my fridge was at %70. I just took out the beads, put them under the blow dryer for 2 minute, put them back into the fridge, and turned on the fan inside the unit. I'll report back when the fridge stabilizes and letcha guys know what I did to bring the RH back down. But for now, I am still very pleased about Vern's product!
Emo

Vern's beads are awesome. I bought the travel pack to put in the new year's pass and right away it was where it was supposed to be. I did forget to let Vern know I was a CPer when I ordered, will remember that when I buy some more.

Triple_D said:
Vern's beads are awesome. I bought the travel pack to put in the new year's pass and right away it was where it was supposed to be. I did forget to let Vern know I was a CPer when I ordered, will remember that when I buy some more.
didn't get me a discount and I mentioned it to him twice while on the phone with him checking on my order. (he hadn't billed me yet because the items were backordered at that time). Oh well