• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It is too hot here in SoCal! (and I just bought a new humidor...si

domlee

I live in San Garbriel...and well...it is just too hot here in SoCal.

I just received my new humidor.
Seasoning it right now.
And also am calibrating my hygrometer w/ the Boveda hygrometer calibration kit.

Well...glancing through the clear plastic Boveda bag...I see temps are an astounding 84F degrees!!!
(And this is at night!!!)

And there is no way my humidor will be remotely close to 70F degrees. Absolutely no way.

Looks like I'll be ordering the Vinotemp much sooner than I thought.
(I may end up placing my entire humidor inside the Vinotemp. Seems unfortunate I may not end up
using my humidor)

How are you guys in SoCal keeping your humidor cool?

Check the temp in one of your interior closets. You'll be surprised how much cooler the closet is. Another way is to put your humidor inside a cooler that will keep the temperature at a manageable level until the heat subsides.

Well I can't answer for the SoCal guys, but I can tell you that down here in Texas it is very important to keep my sorage containers in the coolest part of the house and out of any direct sunlight. For example, the sun doesn't shine on the front of the house until the evening, yet there are trees that block most of it, so the front office seems to keep a bit cooler than the rest of the house. I can also keep the lights off for most of the day, which helps as well. Finding this location in your home will be important.

The wine cooler option would work nicely. I'm considering one myself....

mac

Well...I thought the coolest room is our bedroom. (I live in a 1 bedroom apartment/condo).
And it definitely is, compared to the living room/kitchen. My kitchen/living room receives afternoon light...and gets really warm in the evening.

I'll check the closet as an option.
I think under the bathroom sink or in one of the cabinets would be an idea.

But what a shame to not be able to show off my humidor.

Stay away from the bathroom for all the obvious reasons.

If you search this topic, you'll find a ton of info, but I seem to remember somebody talking about putting one of the blue gel ice packs in there to keep it cool.

Putting gel packs into a humidor? But that would create a large puddle of water in my humidor.
Plus, that is far more maintenance that what should be necessary. I'd have to check my humidor every 2 hours to clean up the condensation. That...and checking on my humidor every few hours...my gf would think I'm crazy (more than she does right now).

I can put my humidor in front of a fan in the house. But again,...far from ideal due to maintenance.

I'll try to see what temps are in my closet.
If that doesn't fix the issue...Vinotemp it is.
I already found a local lumber supplier that has the spanish cedar I need.

I've looked at your posts. I see that you have a 100 count humidor you are concerned about. I can tell you that I live about five miles or so away from you and I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with my any of my desktops, which are all at least 100 count humidors. Keep them in the darkest place possible that is accessible for you to easily see, reach and enjoy. Check on it every so often, but do NOT obsess.

Thanks for the advice.
Already obsessing. haha.
Thinking about going bigger w/ a wine-o-door.

But will first look into putting my humidor in a cooler spot.

Then I can order cigars. Right now, I have none...but am certainly tempted to buy like a crazy madman!

I went to Ceniza Lounge one week ago. Thinking about going again this weekend.
Since you're local...have you been there?

I've been there. Their stock is overpriced and not terribly desirable to me. There have been times I've "sucked it up" and paid the $10 cutting fee to bring my own cigars. Otherwise, I tend to avoid the place. I've been waiting a long time for their proposed bar section to come about. Hopefully, that will be soon. It'd be nice to enjoy a cigar in a relaxing indoors atmosphere with a good Scotch. I am also hoping the cutting fee will be abolished for customers paying for drinks.

The coolest room in my house is 72 degrees in the evenings and it the mid 70s during the day. Unless I want a 500+ dollar electric bill, that's just the way it is. So I bought one, and I'll never go back. If it fills up, I'll just buy another one.

My desktop humi cost the same amount, will now be used for rotating smokes for smoking. Out of the wine-o-dor, into the desktop for a few weeks before smoking.

I have recently established a haier 30 count wineodor. I dont even have cedar shelves or anything. Just a few pounts of heartfelt beads and occasional monitoring. I have been very happy with this. The only problem is that I can buy way more smokes than I can actually smoke now!

here's mine.. you know you have to have one. You just can't go without it!!

Wine-O-dor026.jpg

I've got (2) humidors that I keep a 1-2 hundred smokes in each. Both are in my house in different locations. The air cond is set at 75 all summer and 65 all winter. I've never had a problem with my smokes. I check them every couple of weeks for humidity and that's about it. I wouldn't sweat a couple of RH or degrees off of the ideal number but I would keep them out of sunlight.

Good luck keeing the cigars cool this week. I'm close by in Upland and it's currently 105 degrees and about to rain. If I wanted this crap I'd move to Texas/Florida/Louisiana etc. I'm a lizard for God's sake, I like it dry!!! :angry:

Turk100mm - what brand wine cooler is that?

badhangover - Ceniza Lounge...their selection is definitely overpriced. Unless you know of a place that is cheaper? There is a small cigar lounge on Fair Oaks in South Pasadena.

Flatsix - I hear that. Really hot this weekend.