• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

It's Been Awhile

MartyMcFly

Well let me start off by saying that it has been roughly 14 months since I have last had a cigar. In that time I had some humidor issues, lost some of my precious smokes, and even contemplated taking a job that would require a signed agreement to abstain from smoking. This being said I have not been around here much in those 14 months or so, but the summer is here now and I am putting all of this behind me and creating a new begining. This being said I figured my first post back would be something that others might find useful, so lets get started on the review.

Cigar: Nub Habano
Size: 4x64
Drink: Water

Picture003-2.jpg

Pre light- cigar appears very nice with the exception of a couple of relatively large veins. Seems a little spongy to the touch but overall it seems nicely constructed. Cut the end with my Palio and the draw seemed perfect and I could taste some pepperyness on the wrapper. Toasted the foot and lit her up.

First 1/3: Initially the cigar presented a fair amount of pepperyness, just enough to give a little tingle on the lips and tongue but not overbearing. After the first quarter inch this gives way and becomes a more balanced and smooth profile exhibiting a flavor that I would describe as a spiced bread. There have been some relatively minor burn issues however it is windy outside and I picked it up only hours ago at the local Tinder Box. The ash is mostly light gray with some darker areas, some is flaking away but its holding together alright. I’m surprised by the volumes of endless smoke and I am very pleased thus far. The wrapper has become more refined and now leaves a slight sweetness on my lips. The combination of this and lots of smoke make this very enjoyable. The spice picks up just a little more towards the end of this third but there is still that creamy, bready overtone.

Picture005-1.jpg

Second 1/3: More minor touch ups are needed and upon further inspection the cigar seems to be tunneling. The wrapper seems as though it’s not able to keep up with the rest of the cigar. The cigar has taken on a slight bitterness but the overall taste remains the same with perhaps added dimensions of leather and cedar (faint). Midway through this third the cigar died out. After relighting and purging, the bitterness is less prevalent however the cigar seems to be getting pretty hot and I am not getting all those tastes anymore. After another 10 minutes or so the cigar has taken a turn for the worse. It has become rather hot and less pleasing to smoke so it was at this point that I decided to lay her down to rest.

Picture009.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Final Thoughts: I can say that I enjoyed the cigar all the way to about halfway through the second third. From then on it was becoming pretty hot and all of the enjoyable taste seemed to diminish, relinquishing itself to an unpleasant bitterness. I find this cigar to only last about thirty-five minutes, which is somewhat impressive given its short stature. The cigar in its entirety may take closer to an hour to smoke, it just became to hot and unpleasant to keep at it. For the price I am not entirely let down however I couldn’t help but feel as though this Nub was a bit of a tease. I would smoke another one just because I like to give all cigars a second shot, but I certainly wouldn’t go out looking for one.

Life is good. All three boys are doing well and making life fun. I hope all is well with you.

Great review and welcome back. At the risk of threadjacking, what job would've made you sign a no smoking contract?

Ive had a few of these and honestly I really didnt enjoy it. Ive got a box of Cameroon and I enjoy those quite a bit, but the Habano just tasted like hot smoke to me. Have you had any of the other Nubs? I would recommend giving them a try.

Great review and welcome back. At the risk of threadjacking, what job would've made you sign a no smoking contract?

It was a position as a police officer in a nearby suburb. They make you sign a contract to abstain from using any tobacco products.

As for the other Nubs I will have to try them some time as I am interested in what the others might have to offer...but after the Habano it might be awhile before I go out looking for them.