• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I've run into a problem

TMarquis

Banned
Reaction score
Recently, I bought two digital thermo/hygrometers from heartfelt industries, along with two of their calibration kits. Upon delivery, I activated the calibration kit, and put the meters in there for 4-5 days. The calibration packs reach 75%, and the meters were both reading -2%, which I took to be more than acceptable. So, I replaced my analog hygro's in my two desktops (150ct, 50ct) and for the hell of it, put the analogs in the calibration packs, where they have been for the last week or so.

The digital hygro's started reading 20% less than the analogs had been reading in my desktops, stating that I was hovering around 53-56%. Scared, I added two more Drymistat Crystal Humidifier's to the 150ct humi, and the 68% tube of beads from heartfelt to the 50ct humi, waited 10 hours, and there was no change in the % reading on the digitals. I took the analogs out of their calibration bags, both reading exactly +5%, and put them both inside the 150ct, waited another 10 hours and they're both reading 71%, which would put me at 66%, while the digital is still reading in the low/mid 50's. The digital in the 50ct, with the 68% beads, is reading in the mid 50's as well, with no change since I took out the crystals and added the beads.

Now, all of my hygro's have been calibrated for longer than required, yet I'm getting off the wall readings here, what do you guys advise? I ordered two more 68% tubed beads, but have not used them yet, so I can add them if need be.

If you need more info to give an answer, let me know, I'll post whatever you guys might need.

I would try the salt test, but thats just because I've never used the calibration kits and haven't had a problem with the salt test. Just get a medium sized plastic container, a small dish, some table salt. Put the salt in the small dish and add enough distilled water to make a thick soup of the salt. Insert your hygro's and wait for them to "level off" they read 75% if they are right on. I n the mean time I would start giving you cigar the pinch test. If they are infact dry they will feel that way and smoke that way. I usually like my cigars at around 62-64% at the most. I'll age them at a little higher humidity than that, 66% +/-. Good luck, if they are smoking well for you and feel good, i.e. not going to crack if you pinch firmly and not too spongy (higher humidities) I wouldn't get too excited.

Have you been constantly opening and closing your humidors lately, because that will also give you erratic reading, the humidor won't have time to recover.

John

Worry of RH can cause your hair to fall out!

I would shitcan the analog hygros. Trust the calibration pack and the digitals you got from Heartfelt. Put the beads in, watch the digital hygros, and watch the appearance of the beads. Translucent = good, all white = dry.

Have you added some distilled water to the Heartfelt Beads Tubes? Make sure you add enough distilled water to make roughly 80-90% of the beads are clear.

As you have already been told, I really do not trust analog hygrometers at all. I have found alot of them to be inaccurate and non linear (meaning off by a different amount at 50% rh than at 70%) making it almost impossible to add or subtract an amount from the reading.

Oh by the way, I don't sell 68% beads. They are ither 65% or 70%.

Have you added some distilled water to the Heartfelt Beads Tubes? Make sure you add enough distilled water to make roughly 80-90% of the beads are clear.

As you have already been told, I really do not trust analog hygrometers at all. I have found alot of them to be inaccurate and non linear (meaning off by a different amount at 50% rh than at 70%) making it almost impossible to add or subtract an amount from the reading.

Oh by the way, I don't sell 68% beads. They are ither 65% or 70%.

Sorry, 65%, I was looking at something else while posting and got 68% stuck in my head.

I'm going to go ahead and use the other two beads, like you guys said, hopefully it will come out ok. I've thought my cigars have smoked fine, but now I'm all freaked out and everything I touch feels dry, heh.

The digi's tested just 2% off, so I will take your advice and go by the digi's rather than the analogs. Here's hoping the beads help with the readings.

My experience with the adjustable digital hygrometers hasn't been very pleasant. I've noticed that the RH reading tends to fluctuate with temperature changes. e.g. if you calibrated your digital hygro at 70F when the temperature increases or falls the RH reading will fluctuate accordingly. When I first calibrated my digital hygros the temp was at 65F as the temp started rising I started noticing the RH levels in my humi going up. I was completely stumped and dumbfounded and started to re-calibrate the hygros since I was using 70% beads supplied by Heartfelt so the hygro can't be right if it reads 80%RH now can it? Re-calibration at 65F showed the hygro was spot on. Just my guess but the RH may be influenced by the hot summer days.

I've mentioned it on a few other threads, but I HIGHLY recommend keeping the plastic cans of glycol gel set to 70%, and a few sets of nylons with 65% heartfelt beads in your humi. The gel tubes/cups try to raise the humidity to 70%, while the beads absorb anything above 65%. I've been doing this for about a year in my VinoTemp and Coolerdor and they have been pretty much rock solid at 66% - 68% the entire time.

1. Salt testing is pretty inaccurate - especially when there are so many products out there that release a much more exact humidity. I never salt test anything. I use THIS to test my hygros. These are also what I use in my humi, in conjunction with the heartfelt beads.

2. If your cigars are smoking how you like, then don't worry about it! I used to check my humidity daily. I can tell if my humidity is off by how the cigars are smoking. I know people who have never owned a hygro in their lives, and have been smoking for decades. Worrying about humidity just adds stress to a relaxing hobby!

The adjustable digital hygrometer I got from Heartfelt was right on after the salt test.