• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Iwo

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
On Feb. 19, 1945, during World War II, some 30,000 United States Marines landed on the Western Pacific island of Iwo Jima, where they encountered ferocious resistance from Japanese forces. The Americans took control of the strategically important island after a month-long battle.

WW2_Iwo_Jima_flag_raising.jpg

More info

My 83 year old Father is one of those men. He is a living legend in my mind and a role model that still inspires.

Right now he is playing golf in Myrtle Beach....damn Marine will live forever.. :thumbs:

AVB, thank you for the post. In the summer of 1999 I was fortunate enough to hitch a ride to Iwo Jima on a C-21 out of Yokota. We were on the ground for a few hours; long enough to hike down to the beach for some sand and then about halfway up Mt. Suribachi. It's not a big island. Today there is a runway, a few F-15Js and a few helicopters stationed there from the JSDF. Not much at all.

To walk the beaches so long after the carnage evokes an eerie feeling. Knowing that so many American boys fought and died for inches at a time of that black beach still makes me almost cry. To think that these men suffered through pure hell- a phrase that gets overused in our modern vernacular- and persevered regardless is simply amazing.

On my little container of black volcanic sand is affixed a label that says simply: "Never forget the sacrifices of those who came before you."

I can only hope to visit that place some day to pay homage to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. Truly humbling. Thank you very much for this reminder of what today is, I will pass this on today at work.

On Feb. 19, 1945, during World War II, some 30,000 United States Marines landed on the Western Pacific island of Iwo Jima, where they encountered ferocious resistance from Japanese forces. The Americans took control of the strategically important island after a month-long battle.

More info
Just so ya 'lubbers know, one of those guys was a corpsman.

Doc.

My father was a Pharmacists mate first class with the 26th Marines 5th Marine division on Iwo. We have 100's of pictures that he took of the battle at my brothers. Haven't seen them in years though.

More info
Just so ya 'lubbers know, one of those guys was a corpsman.

Doc.

I don't see anyone throwing motrin at the Marines and telling them to drink more water!

lol just kidding... we couldn't have gotten very far without our Corpsman.