• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

J walking could land you in your underpants or worse

CBoukal

Impeached Staff Member
Did anyone else see the below ruling by the high court that says "officials may strip-search people arrested for any offense, however minor, before admitting them to jails even if the officials have no reason to suspect the presence of contraband"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/us/justices-approve-strip-searches-for-any-offense.html

Having worked in corrections early in my career, I have to agree with this ruling. This is how 90% or more of weapons, cell phones and narcotics enter the facilities. The other is brought in by visitors, etc..

The judges ruled that the safety of the corrections officers and other inmates is more important that any expectation of privacy the inmates may have.

And lets remember, the majority of those entering these facilities did something to get themselves in the situation which brought them there.

Just my .02

Thinking about it how you just said and rereading it, it says anyone being admitted to the general population. Not sure exactly what that means since I have never been in jail, but I assume that means if you to to the "real jail" rather than the holding facility in the police station is that right??

That would depend on the justices' definition of a jail, but I believe it would exclude the holding facilities at local municipalities as they do not routinely have certified jail staff employed.

Just a caveat, jaywalking isn't an arrestable offense, unless you fail to pay fine or show up for court hearing.

Also, my understanding this isn't a "blank check" to check everyone that enters, but just gives discretion to the officers.