• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jar Humidor Project

I think this is just about exactly what I will be doing for my work humidor. 

If you're still looking for Spanish cedar, you can look at rockler.com or Google Rockler wood. You can order directly off of their website as small or as large a piece you would like. I ordered a notebook sheet sized piece and it arrived in a few days. You can then cut it and throw it in your jar humidor.

I'm curious if anyone has had experiences aging cigars for a year or longer in these jars, and if they experienced any issues. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tall Paul said:
That is the exact container I had for a couple months when I started out. Now it holds my cigar bands! Walmart had it can't beat the price.

Old pic the jar is now stuffed full!

IMAG0103.jpg

Just thinking about it when I look at this pic of how addicting the cigar hobby is.... First the cigar jar then the desktop my wife got me for our one year anny and now the cabinet. Your future and you don't even realize it yet! LOL

Paul

Show off! haha Nice

Crazy8 said:
Do you need to air it out every few days? I guess I wasn't even aware you'd have to. If you do, I wonder if you could just put the lid down without actually locking it to create a seal, if that would be good enough? What would you be cleaning the jar out from, if you did have to clean it out?

If it's an airtight jar, YES.  You should open the jar at least once a week because as cigars age they put out ammonia.  By opening the jar for a few minutes you release the ammonia.  If you go on vacation and don't air it for 2 weeks or so it's not a big deal.  If you use the Boveda packs you really don't need a hygro but if you want one, go ahead.  Boveda's could also be recharged.  You will only need 1 boveda and in a jar it would probably last several months.  When it starts to stiffen up, replace with new and recharge the old.  When completely recharged place in a ziplock baggie and it will hold the charge for a long time.(BTW by stiff I mean you can't fold it in half very easily.)

In general, then, how long is it safe to store cigars in an airtight jar? Do cedar strips offset the ammonia risk, or are other methods better (HCM beads claim substantial ammonia uptake for instance)? And does ammonia ruin the cigars, or does it dissipate harmlessly after a few weeks or months if the cigars are returned to a standard humidor?

The reason for my questions is that I am considering putting up some cigars for aging for about a year without opening the container very often (or at all), and I don't have a lot of room available. Is it even remotely possible that a jar solution will lead to a good outcome?

I am also evaluating other options, such as a small coolerdor or wineador on the cheap, but I really need something that will be stable and can be left unattended for long periods with very little intervention.

Do you need to air it out every few days? I guess I wasn't even aware you'd have to. If you do, I wonder if you could just put the lid down without actually locking it to create a seal, if that would be good enough? What would you be cleaning the jar out from, if you did have to clean it out?

If it's an airtight jar, YES.  You should open the jar at least once a week because as cigars age they put out ammonia.  By opening the jar for a few minutes you release the ammonia.  If you go on vacation and don't air it for 2 weeks or so it's not a big deal.  If you use the Boveda packs you really don't need a hygro but if you want one, go ahead.  Boveda's could also be recharged.  You will only need 1 boveda and in a jar it would probably last several months.  When it starts to stiffen up, replace with new and recharge the old.  When completely recharged place in a ziplock baggie and it will hold the charge for a long time.(BTW by stiff I mean you can't fold it in half very easily.)
How's that intro coming along??

I have several jars that I picked up online(which were already seasoned). So all I did was drop a Boveda pack in each and load them up. One was already lined with cedar. I've had no problems and they go through packs really slowly since I don't open them very often and keep them full.

Joebunaga said:
I have several jars that I picked up online(which were already seasoned). So all I did was drop a Boveda pack in each and load them up. One was already lined with cedar. I've had no problems and they go through packs really slowly since I don't open them very often and keep them full.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think this might be the ideal solution for my aging experiment.

Juanote said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I think this might be the ideal solution for my aging experiment.

I found the jars by casually trolling Craigslist, so they were cheap as well being pre-seasoned.