• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Jarring after opening a tin?

Benjamin Button

Just curious as to peoples habits with opening a new tin. Does anyone jar their tinned tobacco to store it after opening a new tin?

I'm not the fastest or most ritualistic smoker around so it is often times hard to finish a tin within even a months time. I was wondering if anyone jars tinned tobacco to keep it fresh for longer? I'm placing an order today for a bunch of tins so I am just curious how people store them once opened.

Thanks!

-Adam

I usually keep all my open and pouched tobacco in jars, while open tins I keep in heavy zip lock bags. I have the same smoking habit as yourself, I only smoke when I feel like it and it might take me a couple months to finish off a tin or a pouch of tobacco.

my tin of penzance is getting too dry, if I jar it, will it rehudrate? what are some tips on getting that tobacy healthy again? (figured Id post here instead of starting a new thread)

Almost every time I open a tin it goes into a jar until finished. Sometimes if I absolutely, 100% know that I'll be finishing the tine in short order (within the week) I won't jar it. I'm a cheap bastage as well as a LilBastage, so I hate to potentially waste tobacco. It's likely overkill, but I do what I do...

If you use actual airtight jars the tobacco will remain in the same condition it was in when you put it in the jar. There are ways to rehydrate, but just putting it in a jar won't do it. HERE'S A LINK that may help you out.

Alan,

How do you typically jar your tobacco? I bought a case of Ball jars and plan on jarring some tobacco tonight. I've read about heating the bottom of the jars in a pot of water (no water in the jars) and then taking them out and filling them with tobacco and sealing the top. That was going to be my method for long term storage and to age some nice Virginia that I have.

Any advice for short term storage?

Alan,

How do you typically jar your tobacco? I bought a case of Ball jars and plan on jarring some tobacco tonight. I've read about heating the bottom of the jars in a pot of water (no water in the jars) and then taking them out and filling them with tobacco and sealing the top. That was going to be my method for long term storage and to age some nice Virginia that I have.

Any advice for short term storage?

I wash the jars with hot soapy water or run them through the dishwasher. After they're dry, I put the tobacco in them and put the lids and rings on. I don't do anything other than that. The seals on canning jars (Ball, Mason, etc.) are very good if you leave the rings on, so I don't worry about vacuum sealing or waxing the tops.

I have a couple of jars of some tobacco (I didn't label it :( , but it tastes like Carter hall or something similar) that were jarred like this in 1998. They have been moved in and out of about 5 different homes since then and were never opened before about a month ago. The tobacco was just fine.

Vacuum sealing the jars works great (and may even be ideal for very long term storage), I've just never found the need to do it since I leave the rings on. Just don't heat things up too much. You can change the characteristics of the tobacco and MAY cause condensation to form on the inside of the jar and that can lead to mold. It's not likely, but it is a possibility.

Alan, why do you wash the jars if they are brand new? Don't they do that at the factory? Just curious. :blush:

Alan, why do you wash the jars if they are brand new? Don't they do that at the factory? Just curious. :blush:

I'm sure they do, but I wash them anyway. It may be overkill, but I feel better about using them if I cleaned them myself. I also reuse jars that I've emptied, so I want to wash out all the remnants from the previous tobacco. Routine, I guess, compels me to do it the same way each time.

Also, even though the jars are washed at the factory, they are not vacuum sealed, and mold spores could possibly find their way in somehow.

It's recommended that you wash all canning jars prior to using them for any sort of consumable good. Just safer that way.
:D

Never have jarred any tobacco that was tinned. I keep it in the tin in zip lock baggies in a cabinet.

But it seems like an interesting idea although it could take up a lot more room. I know for some of you that's not a concern, but for me I try to keep things compact and tidy.

How small a jar are we talking, all I can think of is those jars they use for canning tomatoes or pickles.

Never have jarred any tobacco that was tinned. I keep it in the tin in zip lock baggies in a cabinet.

But it seems like an interesting idea although it could take up a lot more room. I know for some of you that's not a concern, but for me I try to keep things compact and tidy.

How small a jar are we talking, all I can think of is those jars they use for canning tomatoes or pickles.

I have a case of these...

pACE-957282reg.jpg

And a few assorted some smaller, some larger.

I believe they are 12 oz jars, so they are best for large bulk orders, but If they are not filled to the top and vacuum sealed, they can hold any quantity I'd assume.

I use mostly 4 oz. wide mouth jars. They're a bit taller than tins and do take up more space. They do stack very well, though. EDIT TO ADD: They're also called jam and jelly jars.

You can pack about 3-3 1/2 oz. of tobacco in them. I also use the larger jars for some stuff I keep in quantity for aging.

I searched all over walmart last week and couldn't find canning jars, any clues on what section to look in?

In the grocery store here they are by the paper plates and napkins.

Also try a local hardware store or Menards/Home Depot type store.

I searched all over walmart last week and couldn't find canning jars, any clues on what section to look in?

Try near housewares. I think near the tupperware/resealable type of things.

I have the 8 oz. half pint Ball jars.

DSC_0047.jpg